Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Straight set beatdown?

Significant even under the favorable(for Djokovic) circumstances.

But 99-3 still stands out

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
A lot on the line for both guys.

If Rafa wins, the slam H2H will be 10-6 in Rafa's favour. And the slam count will be 20-20-17.

If Djokovic wins, it will seal his utter dominance over Rafa in recent years.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
If he losses the meltdowns here will be epic. But then he should really retire for his fans, they will be on suicide watch for sure and won't take it well.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
If he losses the meltdowns here will be epic. But then he should really retire for his fans, they will be on suicide watch for sure and won't take it well.
Why would we be on suicide watch? You mistake Rafa fans for the rabid Fed cult. It would be very devastating but Rafa has gone through worse in 2011 and still bounced back.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It won't harm his legacy in any way. He has already done more than enough to ensure that he is the most dominant player at a single Grand Slam of all time. I mean 9 titles in 10 years, 12 titles overall, 98 - 2 match record with only 2 wins out of 98 being five-setters. Nothing can erase that and 15 years of dominance cannot be forgotten after one loss to quite possibly the GOAT when it's all said and done.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Why would we be on suicide watch? You mistake Rafa fans for the rabid Fed cult. It would be very devastating but Rafa has gone through worse in 2011 and still bounced back.
I figured it's Dull's house/backyard and that a lot of your fellow fans/tards are taking the 2020 RG for granted. So if he's not winning it I reckon there will be a lot of those that take the 2020 RG title for granted to be on suicide watch. But I don't know why the rabid 40-15er cult would be devestated if Dull doesn't win, wouldn't it be more logical for them to be for anyone who faces Dull who's on the verge to tie the GS record?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it doesnt get any worse for Rafa than AO 2017 defeat.
I don't know, I think losses against Djokovic feel tougher, such as the WB SF 2018 or Australia F 2013 .

Straight set beatdown?

Significant even under the favorable(for Djokovic) circumstances.

But 99-3 still stands out
Yeah, I'm talking a 3 setter (6-3, 6-4. 6-2 or the like).
True, he may still be safe given his record.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Achieving a DCGS against Nadal in the final of RG and beating him at RG for a second time would make Novak the undisputed GOAT. Also, the H2H will only get way worse for Nadal from there.

But anyway, there is nothing Nadal can do to hurt Novak in these conditions. Expect a straight sets destruction.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I figured it's Dull's house/backyard and that a lot of your fellow fans/tards are taking the 2020 RG for granted. So if he's not winning it I reckon there will be a lot of those that take the 2020 RG title for granted to be on suicide watch. But I don't know why the rabid 40-15er cult would be devestated if Dull doesn't win, would it be more logical for them to be for anyone who faces Dull who's on the verge to tie the GS record?
Many Rafa fans are trolling themselves, I honestly don't believe that any remotely rational fan of Rafa's can take this year's RG for granted. This is an RG unlike any other that Rafa (or anyone for that matter) has ever played before. Some of his biggest weapons are now neutralized by these new, changed conditions. Djoko seems to be playing well and he has a mental advantage over Rafa, and has beaten him here before.

When I mentioned Fed cult I meant Rafa fans aren't like them to be on suicide watch after a potential loss, totally different circumstances.

Would be fantastic if Rafa goes unbeaten in RG finals (let's wait he reaches the final first) but if it doesn't happen it's not the end of the world. Djoko was very close to getting beaten in his favorite slam by Thiem, remember?

·
Your visions will happen
50,058 Posts
I already said Rafa-Nole RG Final 2020 is the most important slam match of all time if it happens

Whoever wins is the GOAT, whoever loses may not ever be in the GOAT discussion again

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Even if it is a routine straight set win for Novak it wouldn’t change a thing for Nadal’s legacy. As far as I’m concerned Novak is much closer to his peak currently than Nadal is and the conditions also favor Novak in this matchup.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Achieving a DCGS against Nadal in the final of RG and beating him at RG for a second time would make Novak the undisputed GOAT. Also, the H2H will only get way worse for Nadal from there.

But anyway, there is nothing Nadal can do to hurt Novak in these conditions. Expect a straight sets destruction.
Nah, unless he ends up with a slam record he cannot be considered undisputed GOAT. Even though I support Djokovic he still would be behind Fed if he wins on Sunday, in my view.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Many Rafa fans are trolling themselves, I honestly don't believe that any remotely rational fan of Rafa's can take this year's RG for granted. This is an RG unlike any other that Rafa (or anyone for that matter) has ever played before. Some of his biggest weapons are now neutralized by these new, changed conditions. Djoko seems to be playing well and he has a mental advantage over Rafa, and has beaten him here before.

When I mentioned Fed cult I meant Rafa fans aren't like them to be on suicide watch after a potential loss, totally different circumstances.

Would be fantastic if Rafa goes unbeaten in RG finals (let's wait he reaches the final first) but if it doesn't happen it's not the end of the world. Djoko was very close to getting beaten in his favorite slam by Thiem, remember?
Figures, you have very reasonable points that are exactly the things I mentioned before RG began in a discussion who will be the favourite(s) as to why Nole must be counted as one of the favourites for RG '20 and people dismissing him as one of them and only counting Dull (obviously) and Thiem as the favourites would have a rude awakening. This edition of RG is as you mentioned unlike any others and it would be logical that because of that it suits Djokovic playstyle more. He's beaten Dull before, actually the last time they've ever met on RG, granted Dull was in a slump that season I also didn't forget that. But all the conditions this year being more in Djokovic favour then Dull's would in my eyes make it his to lose (if they meet in the final which I believe they will.)

I now understand why you referenced 40-15er cult, yeah you're probably right, that fanbase is something else. I remember the 40-15 meltdown iat Wimbledon so fondly!

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I already said Rafa-Nole RG Final 2020 is the most important slam match of all time if it happens

Whoever wins is the GOAT, whoever loses may not ever be in the GOAT discussion again
It would be up there with AO'17 and Wim'19 but time will tell which one was most important. Maybe this one indeed (Nadal gunning for record-equalling #20, Djoko for #18 with the AO around the corner, DCGS plus beating the monster in his cave). There would be most GS titles playing in a GS final:
Potential Djokodal FO'20: 19+17=36
Djokerer Wim'19: 20+15=35
Fedal AO'17: 17+14=31

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Nah, unless he ends up with a slam record he cannot be considered undisputed GOAT. Even though I support Djokovic he still would be behind Fed if he wins on Sunday, in my view.
Behind in slams (for now), but still with a superior overall resume and is the more superior player.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Excellet question.

I expect Nadal to go down in three sets. And of course this will leave a HUGE scar and a shadow over his legacy.

In the end, Nadal only won so much Grand Slams because the "normal" conditions at RG center court suit him perfectly. Hot, dry weather, high bounce, plenty of room to return from the stands.

If he goes down in flames against Djokovic as expected, it will highlight the fact that Nadal is clearly way more dependant on the conditions than Djokovic or Federer.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Figures, you have very reasonable points that are exactly the things I mentioned before RG began in a discussion who will be the favourite(s) as to why Nole must be counted as one of the favourites for RG '20 and people dismissing him as one of them and only counting Dull (obviously) and Thiem as the favourites would have a rude awakening. This edition of RG is as you mentioned unlike any others and it would be logical that because of that it suits Djokovic playstyle more. He's beaten Dull before, actually the last time they've ever met on RG, granted Dull was in a slump that season I also didn't forget that. But all the conditions this year being more in Djokovic favour then Dull's would in my eyes make it his to lose (if they meet in the final which I believe they will.)

I now understand why you referenced 40-15er cult, yeah you're probably right, that fanbase is something else. I remember the 40-15 meltdown iat Wimbledon so fondly!
I listed Djoko as a slight favorite to win in my 'Rate players' chances to win RG thread' and I also knew this RG would be tougher than usual for Rafa even before it started. If someone asked me, I'd rather that it got canceled.

Djoko probably won't get a better chance to beat Rafa in RG final, the stars have aligned for him this year, but something tells me that if they meet in the final, Djoko himself might be very nervous. I don't know why no one sees that. Even during his peak years, especially in 2015-16 Djoko found it very difficult to win RG. Should it come to a Djokodal final we can easily see a nervy match from both and it coming down to who handles pressure better. If that happens, I trust Rafa's history at RG, his fighting spirit, and tenacity to prevail.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Behind in slams (for now), but still with a superior overall resume and is the more superior player.
Yes, for now. I think the GOAT debate is mainly between Nole and Fed. Rafa has virtually no chance to be undisputed GOAT due to many obvious holes. However, if he pulls off a miracle and beats Nole in mud on Sunday he will still have an argument to be ahead of Djokovic. If Nole wins I see almost no way he can be considered greater despite having one more slam.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts