Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is some hate for certain players around here and it's strange. Pro players are like inanimate objects for fans who mostly follow the sport from afar. Every player has dedicated his or her life to winning major tournaments and being a top pro. Sacrificed everything for this dream. Only a select lucky few make it and they have to fight for everything, every point, every match, every week over and over. It's a glamorous life on the outside view for a few elite players but most of them struggle and suffer. Sure some have meltdowns and break the rules and fake injuries and break racquets or point out wrong ball marks or blow matches for gamblers who bet on them, play politics when nobody wants to hear about blm bs. But it's the heat of the battle. No player should be hated. Every player should be respected. It's okay to criticize and complain about players actions on occasion but flat out hate should have no place around here.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I believe anyone who truly loves the sport would not genuinely hate any tennis player. It’s normal to dislike, criticize, or root against someone, but those things are far from hating someone.
For example, I may want Rafa or Djokovic to lose some matches but it doesn’t mean I hate them. Actually if I have the opportunity to meet them, take a photo with them, I will love it, even if I have to pay a big price.
Hate on tennis players is by “fans” who do not really love tennis but only follow their tennis player due to other reasons, such as extreme nationalism.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Hate is a passion. Hate is a way of ventilating emotions. Relatively common in sports that trigger passion among fanbases. Hate in tennis is most often triggered towards the player who beats your favourite as a results of intense frustration and disappointment.

In team sports, most notably football (soccer for the americans), hate is widespread. FC Barcelona Catalonia fans hate Real Madrid as the team of General Franco's fascist central government. Liverpool fans hate Manchester United - & vice versa. The hate is a variant of passion, it is real, but not dangerous, as it only rarely leads to violence. In tennis Monica Seles is the only player who was subjected to hate as physical violence by being stabbed with a knife on a tennis court.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Besides the glory hunters projection healing irl frustration, social networks are also a hate amplifier, even a gardening forum needs a moderator.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way a gardening forum needs a moderator, no way )

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
hating a player means that when your favorite player beats the one who you hate, your emotions becomes bigger and more joyful during celebration than usual. that's why hating is a great thing.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hating a player means that when your favorite player beats the one who you hate, your emotions becomes bigger and more joyful during celebration than usual. that's why hating is a great thing.
Would you proudly wear a shirt that says "I Hate (player's name I hate)"? Just curious.

Reactions: Nole Fan #1

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I was looking for some obviously forced product placement once again, maybe for a new book named: Facing MTF posters, a symposium of mugs

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
To me anger is really normal, you sometimes will feel angry at a player if they make a bad choice, or if they lose from an amazing position or something like that.

Anger can turn into hatred over time, also pretty normal. Although I do think it's a sign of poor emotional development when somebody develops a hatred of a sportsperson or team, an inability to let anger pass and/or 'forgive'.

Everybody has their weakness, and for some it is handling emotions such as anger and hatred. I am sure there is other factors at play too though... like mentioned earlier in the thread, social media can lead to hate being amplified.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In about 3 decades of watching pro tennis can't think of one player that I felt hate for. Even at their worst moments, like Serena or Daniel Kohlerer or Shapovolov hitting the chair ump in the face, you know it's heat of the battle and these players are dealing with a lot of stress and tension that we have no idea how they are suffering. Then to see the ones who handle such a heartbreaking loss with grace and class is awesome to see - examples: Zverev, Dimitrov, Murray, Serena, Mathieu, Davydenko, Roddick, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts