Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Frederico Gil being the first Portuguese to reach a 3rd round of a Slam, I was actually surrprised to hear that so with that said...
Why is a country like Portugal suck at tennis when you compare it to Spain? They are like next to Spain and have warm weather all year round. I always assumed they would be good at it.

Can someone dumb it down for me?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Portugal is a country that's not only smaller than Spain, but less wealthier. So it would make sense that they cannot invest as much in sports in contrast to Spain. Why else isn't Portuguese football teams as good as Spanish ones?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How popular is tennis in Portugal? If it not as popular, then why is that? Cuz it must be popular in Spain if they are having lots of success on the pro tour.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
With Frederico Gil being the first Portuguese to reach a 3rd round of a Slam, I was actually surrprised to hear that so with that said...
Why is a country like Portugal suck at tennis when you compare it to Spain? They are like next to Spain and have warm weather all year round. I always assumed they would be good at it.

Can someone dumb it down for me?
Because we don't have much money, and the little we have, we blew in football. And actually in football, we are one of the top countries of the world (not as big as spain, because they are #1 now).

So the money for other sports is little more than zero. It's very hard for a portuguese tennis player to succeed in international level. You have to be very good, and have to have many sponsorship. Only our 2 top players have it. Gil is sponsored by Asiscs and Machado is sponsored by Swiss air and TMN.

But yes it's kind of strange we've been suck this bad, cause we do have money to organize Estoril Open, of of the oldest and best 250 of the tour.

But I'm confidente about the present and abou our new guns. Gastão (21 yeasr old) will rise to top100 I feel, this year. And we do have the best 1995 borned player in junior ranks, Frederico Silva. And he's the 6# overall in the junior rankings.

Tennis is getting popular and popular here. Just look at the portuguese people who is on MTF. Of course it's very hard for any sport other than football to be big around here, cause football it's way too big here, it's like a religion the overshadows all the other sports.

Reactions: VolandriFan

·
Not exactly average.
1,036 Posts
How come San Marino is not good in tennis like Italy?

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
How come Sweden have so many slams and past greats and Norway, Finland and Denmark have what combined? Yet all these countries are wealthy and got a similar culture.

Portugal probably burn their talents in other sports and never had a big superstar talent like Sweden had Borg that came out of nowhere and showed the path to tennis glory.

If Portugal had the luck to have some insane talent that came out of nowhere it would have boosted interest. Never happened

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Tennis is just not popular at all here. :shrug: Very few people take an interest. If we were to have a top10 player (either ATP or WTA) that could change a bit. But until that happens, it will be this way. :shrug:

How come San Marino is not good in tennis like Italy?
PM me and I can teach you some geography and history.

EDIT: Please, :facepalm: with your username and flag, don't tell me you're yet another portuguese emigrant in France who enjoys to diminish the country where he actually comes from. :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
This is fail thread... becasue some countries are neighbors or have similar wealth, or anything- it doesn´t mean they will be as succesfull as the other country. Actually my theory is that ESP benefits from early 2000s guys that won slam or were really good like Ferrero, Moya, than came Nadal and the story you all know, he became superstar and all spanish guys simply are better, mostly media attention, popularity of tennis grew much more with Rafa, ESP wasn´as succesfull in tennis in 90s or 80s, they had some good players but never were such force like today. For example why Italy or Sweden or USA sucks today? Sweden had the same effect with Borg and were lucky that new generation had also multiple slam winners, but what now? the same with USA, they were used to have multiple slam champions and dozens of guys in top 100 and now? they are rich, tennis is popular and nothing. If one country is good it doesn´t mean the other one with very similar popularity, wealth, weather and everything will be also doing good in that sport... Right now Serbia is on the way like SWE or ESP before, thanks to Nole that sport became much more popular there so we will see how good will be SRB tennis in 2020-2025 after Nole will retire.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think Yannick Noah may be able to offer some theories after he's had a few drinks.:p

Reactions: Xoil and arm

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Tennis is just not popular at all here. :shrug: Very few people take an interest. If we were to have a top10 player (either ATP or WTA) that could change a bit. But until that happens, it will be this way. :shrug:

PM me and I can teach you some geography and history.

EDIT: Please, :facepalm: with your username and flag, don't tell me you're yet another portuguese emigrant in France who enjoys to diminish the country where he actually comes from. :facepalm:
I was thinking that. I hope he is actually, cause then I would have a good reason to hate this people.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Not everyone is like that. :shrug: So we shouldn't judge. But Martins? Living in France? :tape:
Not everyone, but I would guess most of them.

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Tennis popularity in Spain varies wildly depending on the region. The vast majority of Spanish players come or have come from the east coast or from Madrid and surroundings. The exceptions are scarce (Berasategui comes to mind... and that's about it). Portugal is to the west of Spain, and I can't think of a single Spanish player, active or retired, from the western half of Spain.

That might something to do with it, who knows.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Not everyone, but I would guess most of them.
Realy not the place to discuss this. :lol: But, I just don't judge people based on where they live/work or come from. It sucks that a lot of these emigrants end up diminishing their own country, but to be honest, it's their loss. They are the ones losing their identity because they can be sure that they are never going to "belong" there. Not a portuguese emigrant in France, the stereotype is way too big there. :shrug:

Back to the topic :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
This is fail thread... becasue some countries are neighbors or have similar wealth, or anything- it doesn´t mean they will be as succesfull as the other country. Actually my theory is that ESP benefits from early 2000s guys that won slam or were really good like Ferrero, Moya, than came Nadal and the story you all know, he became superstar and all spanish guys simply are better, mostly media attention, popularity of tennis grew much more with Rafa, ESP wasn´as succesfull in tennis in 90s or 80s, they had some good players but never were such force like today. For example why Italy or Sweden or USA sucks today? Sweden had the same effect with Borg and were lucky that new generation had also multiple slam winners, but what now? the same with USA, they were used to have multiple slam champions and dozens of guys in top 100 and now? they are rich, tennis is popular and nothing. If one country is good it doesn´t mean the other one with very similar popularity, wealth, weather and everything will be also doing good in that sport... Right now Serbia is on the way like SWE or ESP before, thanks to Nole that sport became much more popular there so we will see how good will be SRB tennis in 2020-2025 after Nole will retire.
This is a fail post... Sweden was a major tennis country before Borg came along. They had already had slam winners and several elite players. The same can be said about Spain, and of course about the USA.

These are not in the same level as Serbia, which is indeed a case of a country becoming a tennis powerhouse rather "out of the blue".

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
This is a fail post... Sweden was a major tennis country before Borg came along. They had already had slam winners and several elite players. The same can be said about Spain, and of course about the USA.

These are not in the same level as Serbia, which is indeed a case of a country becoming a tennis powerhouse rather "out of the blue".
No it´s not fail post you just´ didn´t understand what i wrote there. Maybe i didn´t write everything i want. First of all i mentioned Serbia in term of Nole making tennis much more popular in his country, i am not saying there will be new slam winners from Serbia- like SWE-ESP were before.

Secondly nobody is saying there were not good players in ESP, SWE before, ESP - i wrote clearly they had good players but weren´t that force they are now, what is fact. About SWE - i wrote Borg made it more popular and new generation had multiple slam winners- i mean of course Wilander and Edberg. Borg was that one who clearly made the difference for new generations.

About USA there is not much to discuss always tennis power, with big names, but after last big names Pete and Andre retired there is nobody to replace them, Roddick with 1 slam is not the replacement for big champions.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts