Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're next door to Australia where tennis is popular and yet they can't produce a top 500 player, what gives?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Lack of tennis infrastructure, no good coaching available, no competitive tournaments. Lack of tennis history basically, same reason a country like Uruguay or Greece have very few players.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Has NZ ever had any top 100 players?
Try using Google now and then . They even had a Wimbledon finalist.

Chris Lewis
Onny Parun
Kelly Evernden
Brett Steven

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Has NZ ever had any top 100 players?
Marina Erakovic on the female side.

Chris Lewis reached the final of Wimbledon in 1983 I believe, though he was unseeded so I dont know whether he was ever a top 100 player.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Maybe some lone-wolf dude from NZ will probably emerge like Baghdatis... I'd like that to happen actually.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
They don't have enough Croats. Simply as that.

Try using Google now and then . They even had a Wimbledon finalist.

Chris Lewis
Onny Parun
Kelly Evernden
Brett Steven
What I was talking about? Croat, finalist of AO.

Marina Erakovic on the female side.

Chris Lewis reached the final of Wimbledon in 1983 I believe, though he was unseeded so I dont know whether he was ever a top 100 player.
Marina Erakovic

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't complain. Norway's best player is ranked 1,802, and he isn't even Norwegian. We're next to Sweden, but obviously doesn't help much.
i would love norway's best vs. bahamas's best, both crappy players.
actually they should have all the crappy tennis nations in one tournament and it called the crappy tennis nations cup.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
In the last 20 years they had a top 32 player and a GS quarterfinalist (if I remember correctly) in Steven.

King-Turner was doing pretty well in 2010 and disappeared in early 2011 because of injury.

They have a talented and underachiieving WTA player in Erakovic.

That is not terribly bad for a country with population of what, 3 million, 4 million?

·
Not exactly average.
1,036 Posts
How come Andorra sucks at tennis?
They're next door to France and Spain where tennis is popular and yet they can't produce a top 500 player, what gives?

Reactions: shotgun

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
too many rolling hills.... actually in all seriousness, as beautiful as it is there, a lot of the country's landscape is rather awkward and that could be a reason, possibly less available space for tennis courts/stadiums. also not that big of a population

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
How come Andorra sucks at tennis?
They're next door to France and Spain where tennis is popular and yet they can't produce a top 500 player, what gives?
hahah this exactly :wavey:

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I don't get it, if NZ produce some before why can't they do it nowadays?
this guy is very dim apparently. why do you ask about this one country? why does Zimbabwe not have many successful tennis players when it's not far from South Africa? why does China not have many successful tennis players when it's next to Russia?

a country just existing or being next door to a country with tennis success means nothing! it's all about landscape, culture, tennis organizations, training facilities, the MEANS to be able to. poor countries don't have the means, and many of the others such as New Z neither really have the culture nor the population to produce a lot of tennis players.

the history is lacking and the training organizations to find players when they're young. i'm surprised you are so oblivious of the world, the next thing you know we will have to explain why elephants live in the Safari but not the North Pole, they are both 'places' after alll :eek: :mad:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I read somewhere that the reason is we have no clay courts at all. They reckon the way forward is to get all our guys growing up on clay. Though if that produces the kind of robots of modern day tennis, id rather not bother. At least the few decent players we have had have been fun to watch.

The problem with small population excuse is that we really do punch above our weight and kick a lot of countries asses at sports where they have more playing.

Also Rugby Union is so dominant here a lot of the available flat landscape is taken up by football fields. Though there is enough tennis courts around.

Maybe the weather? Theres not as many indoor courts here and it does rain a lot sometimes. Can get very windy too.

Id love for us to produce top tennis players. But I think the simple truth is, in general, we suck at tennis. I mean id want to be a pro tennis player more than anything, but truth is first time I picked up a racket and played, my 50 something yearold gereatric dad with the fitness of a 10 yearold dog and more injuries than you could shake a stick at, plus a back worse than Aggassis in 2006, who hasnt played in light years beat me 6-0 6-0 with an old wooden racket :eek:

Then again, we could just blame it on Federers-Mate. Its easy to blame our countries issues on him. And fun too :worship:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts