Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a well publicised fact that Nadal has never won the world tour finals. Some blame the surface, but the reality of the situation seems to be more damning.

The world tour finals are populated solely by the top players from the preceding season. There are no lowly journeymen to beat up on as in the early rounds of tournaments. Nadal has a shocking record here, but he also has the dubious record of managing to win at least one slam without facing any top 10 player (USO 2017, permanent *).

Looking at this season, it seems the gap is widening between Nadal and his contemporary rival, Djokovic.

From wikipedia

Rafael Nadal has a 11–3 (78.6%) ATP match win-loss record in the 2020 season. His record against players who were part of the ATP Rankings Top Ten at the time of their meetings is 0–2 (0%).

Novak Djokovic has a 17–0 (100%) ATP match win-loss record in the 2020 season. His record against players who were part of the ATP Rankings Top Ten at the time of their meetings is 6–0 (100%).

Incredible stuff. Discuss.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
Yes, this is a very good sample size.

Reactions: AskTheQuestion

·
Banned
234 Posts
H2h Nadal v Djokerer at Majors (big boy best of 5 set tennis) is 18-10.

Yep clearly struggles....oh how i live the salt of the haters hehe

·
Banned
234 Posts
It's a well publicised fact that Nadal has never won the world tour finals. Some blame the surface, but the reality of the situation seems to be more damning.

The world tour finals are populated solely by the top players from the preceding season. There are no lowly journeymen to beat up on as in the early rounds of tournaments. Nadal has a shocking record here, but he also has the dubious record of managing to win at least one slam without facing any top 10 player (USO 2017, permanent *).

Looking at this season, it seems the gap is widening between Nadal and his contemporary rival, Djokovic.

From wikipedia

Rafael Nadal has a 11–3 (78.6%) ATP match win-loss record in the 2020 season. His record against players who were part of the ATP Rankings Top Ten at the time of their meetings is 0–2 (0%).

Novak Djokovic has a 17–0 (100%) ATP match win-loss record in the 2020 season. His record against players who were part of the ATP Rankings Top Ten at the time of their meetings is 6–0 (100%).

Incredible stuff. Discuss.
Yes Nadal 19-17 Majors with FO to come. I agree the gap will be widening ?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please do not post irrelevant stats. This topic is about Nadal's poor performance against the top 10, esp notable this year so far and in comparison to Djokovic, Federer, and Borg, the top 3 goats.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

isn't he 0-22 sets or something on HC against nole since about 7 years now?
guess the wins on clay might serve as some consolidation for sure, so cling on to it as well. you seem to depend on it.

·
Your visions will happen
49,283 Posts
Nadal owns every player regardless of ranking on clay. He is so great on clay, the only way to even objectively measure him is to take him off his favorite surface and look at those stats.

2 losses, one to Thiem, a top 3 player on both clay and hard, and 1 to Djokovic, who will end up as the HC GOAT, are not bad at all. Especially because we know once the clay rolls around he is going to win almost everything, and will be a force Wimbledon-USO as well.

As for his bad record at YEC, yes the surface is part of it, yes the quality of players is part of it but for me the biggest part of it is his inability to get to the event without some level of illness or injury. Very rarely has he played that event at all and usually with some hinderance.

15 years he has qualified for the event. 6 times he did not even play due to injury or illness. The other 9 times, he had the abdominal injury in 2019, he had the knee and pulled out after 1 match in 2017, so he really has had only 7 real chances at this event.

Of those 7 actual shots, he made 2 finals and 3 SF. Only in 09 and 11 did he really suck

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Nadal perfected the art of vulturism. He thrives on various Albas, Bustas and Kwons. When first top-tenner arrives he's gone.

Reactions: Rik1001

·
Banned
234 Posts
isn't he 0-22 sets or something on HC against nole since about 7 years now?
guess the wins on clay might serve as some consolidation for sure, so cling on to it as well. you seem to depend on it.
US open is the biggest Hc event on earth. Where all hollywood a listers go.

Nadal 4 Uso Djokovic 3..h2h 2-1.

Clay is embarrassing for Djokovic and i sort of like Djokovic as feel sorry for him in Nadals shadow so i rarely mention clay

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
Taken from ultimatetennisstatistics.com, I got the following numbers (only played matches count):

Surface: Played / Won = Stat
All: 263 / 171 = 65%
Clay: 112 / 93 = 83%
HC: 69 / 138 = 50%
Grass: 9 / 13 = 69.2%

Clearly, his weakest results are on hard courts. And since he has only played on HC in 2020 so far, he will lose about as often as he will win against a Top 10 player. I do expect him to improve that stat after the Sunshine Double (maybe not on grass, though, plays too little), he has done pretty well in that period during the past two years*.

* Whenever he was fit to compete, anyway.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Taken from ultimatetennisstatistics.com, I got the following numbers (only played matches count):

Clearly, his weakest results are on hard courts. And since he has only played on HC in 2020 so far, he will lose about as often as he will win against a Top 10 player. I do expect him to improve that stat after the Sunshine Double (maybe not on grass, though, plays too little), he has done pretty well in that period during the past two years*.

Yet Nadal has dominated the biggest HC Major for over a decade. What your post proves is Nadal is clearly the strongest player mentally as he has 5 Majors on his worse surface. Proves he is GOAT if any was needed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Djokovic and Nadal together have won the past 8 grand slams.

Neither one is “struggling” against top players. These Djokodal trollfests on MTF are getting quite tiresome.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Djokovic and Nadal together have won the past 8 grand slams.

Neither one is “struggling” against top players. These Djokodal trollfests on MTF are getting quite tiresome.
Djokovic fans have become salty after their guy didnt get YE1 and obviously when that happens others retaliate. Federer fans have disappeared it seems.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Incredible statistic. Nadal's odds on hardcourt against a top 10 player is no better than flipping a coin!

Wow. Just wow. Kind of makes you think how fortunate he was with his past few draws at the USO (2019 even had a walkover!), and puts his incessant losses at the Aussie open into context.

Now, Nadal is not responsible for other players not making it out to face him for sure but we have to wonder what wouldve happened had they made it. It's as safe to say that he would've lost as it is that he mightve won.

Remembering 2018's USO, where Nadal barely scraped by Thiem only to have to retire against an even higher ranked player in Delpo.

In 2017, no top 10 players were played.

In 2016, he didnt even make it past the 24th seed, and in 2015, well, he got thrashed by Fognini.

2014 injured or something.

You have to go back to 2013 (7 years!!!) to when Nadal could consistently beat top 10 players back to back on hard court, and he wouldve lost that one had he had stanimal and not gasquet as his top 10 semi opponent.

INCREDIBLE

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Incredible statistic. Nadal's odds on hardcourt against a top 10 player is no better than flipping a coin!

Wow. Just wow. Kind of makes you think how fortunate he was with his past few draws at the USO (2019 even had a walkover!), and puts his incessant losses at the Aussie open into context.

Now, Nadal is not responsible for other players not making it out to face him for sure but we have to wonder what wouldve happened had they made it. It's as safe to say that he would've lost as it is that he mightve won.

Remembering 2018's USO, where Nadal barely scraped by Thiem only to have to retire against an even higher ranked player in Delpo.

In 2017, no top 10 players were played.

In 2016, he didnt even make it past the 24th seed, and in 2015, well, he got thrashed by Fognini.

2014 injured or something.

You have to go back to 2013 (7 years!!!) to when Nadal could consistently beat top 10 players back to back on hard court, and he wouldve lost that one had he had stanimal and not gasquet as his top 10 semi opponent.

INCREDIBLE
AII the way up to 2017, he never had to face Fedovic in his bracket & USO17 was the same year Novak, Murray & Wawa were aII out & onIy top 20 compet. he faced was DeIpo (24th at the time) who had the tougher road to get thru Thiem & Fed. The MaIIorcan's Iuck at USO knows no bounds & i’m aImost convinced the shady El padrino has some influence there.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Results against top 10 players:
2019: Djokovic 9-6, Nadal 9-6
2018: Djokovic 15-4, Nadal 10-3

Doesn't look like the few matches from 2020 are representative.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
7 years in this forum and now you woke up with this conclusion? And your nick says it all. Nice try ...

·
Registered
4,898 Posts

19-10 H2H vs. Fedovic; 10-4 vs. Federer, 9-6 vs. Djokovic at Majors.

Get in here before tards argue that tennis should not be played on clay at all, boyos.

·
|
15,342 Posts
Weird thread.
Rafa has a big lead over Federer/Djokovic in slam h2h, and I doubt they'll ever catch him.
And funny that the OP brought up the World Tour Finals, when Rafa was the only man to beat Tsitsipas at the most recent World Tour Finals....
OP is drunk/drugged I can only assume.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts