Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The last time Mexico had a top 100 player was back in the mid 90s with Lavalle and Herrera but now its been like forever since they produced a top 100 player. Their best player right can't even crack the top 200 or 300. Its pathetic.

So what gives?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
..and they spend a lot of money to raise youngsters on academies... there is no talent there, time to face it.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
no tradition, no money... I have a few good friends from Mexico (I'm Canadian)... all they care for is football (soccer)

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
no tradition, no money... I have a few good friends from Mexico (I'm Canadian)... all they care for is football (soccer)
Same as in Colombia for example and they have two top 100 players that are quite decent :shrug:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Mexico is not a great sportsnation like Argentina, it is not just a matter of tennis.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't get it. It's warm there all year round, The country has a huge population (over 100million) They're a Spanish speakin country. I thought most Spanish speaking countries were good at tennis.

·
Registered
367 Posts
one partial explanation could be that like in most Latin America, tennis in Mexico is still a very elitist sport, played mostly by the extremely wealthy in private country clubs... if you don't have the financial hunger behind it, it's very hard to make it in the circuit...

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
They brought us Gerardo Meza. Who has stepped it up and been a solid #2 for the Clemson Tigers this year.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Mexico is not a great sportsnation like Argentina, it is not just a matter of tennis.
This seems to be true. Mexicans love soccer but sport is not as engrained in their culture as it is in other nations. It can be argued that they under-achieve in soccer too.

·
29,637 Posts
Mexicans love their sport like every other nation. Try going to a Mexico footy game when there's over 100,000 in the Azteca and tell them they're not a great sports nation.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
The last time Mexico had a top 100 player was back in the mid 90s with Lavalle and Herrera but now its been like forever since they produced a top 100 player. Their best player right can't even crack the top 200 or 300. Its pathetic.

So what gives?
it's a pretty impoverished country and their nation actually does not dedicate that much to sports. they hardly can control the huge drug cartels in much of the country and the violence is getting out of hand. just too unorganized

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
mexicans love football and boxing.

argentina has great tradition in many sports, football being the greatest.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Same as in Colombia for example and they have two top 100 players that are quite decent :shrug:
yeah, it's funny. I have a friend who is visiting, he is Colombian. I've known him for over 10 years, he used to live in Calgary. love him dearly, a great guy. We watched some tennis matches last night (I had to make him tho, lol). he was like as long it's Nadal it's good with me ... he doesn't even understand the rules... it was hilarious :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
They have lack of height, same as Japaneses or Chineses, so they could be very good in soccer like Messi if these nations find good coaches to teach and lead them.

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
They have lack of height, same as Japaneses or Chineses, so they could be very good in soccer like Messi if these nations find good coaches to teach and lead them.
Lack of height? don't tell me you're one of these people who think that all Mexicans look like this:

There are tall people there, as there are in the rest of Latinamerica :rolleyes:

I mean, they aren't Norway or the Netherlands, but they have quite a bunch of tall people.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's a pretty impoverished country and their nation actually does not dedicate that much to sports. they hardly can control the huge drug cartels in much of the country and the violence is getting out of hand. just too unorganized
Well, the same could be said about Colombia, Argentina and Brasil. Those countries are not exactly first world countries as well but yet they produce lots of top 100 players.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.