Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always had the impression he was but he's not. Since the time he made some noise beating a prime Roddick at the US Open several years ago, I always thought he was destined for the top 20 but alas, he has not.

He seems to have the game for it. He's a giant serve and respectable talent. I mean, he's way more talented than Feliciano Lopez and that guy is a top 20 player. So what gives?

·
Registered
565 Posts
You can also throw in his mental toughness. Robin Haase takes the cake for being the mentally weakest player on tour, but Muller isn't far behind. He has lost plenty of matches throughout his career by simply choking when it mattered most.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Gilles Muller just is not very talented outside of a huge serve. OP you are entirely unfamiliar with him if you are that surprised. Muller does not have that many big wins in his career. what, I think he beat Nadal years ago? Roddick a few years back as well? as though that is earth shattering.

Muller when in the zone can be dangerous off the baseline and obviously can be hard to break his serve BUT he just is not a hugeeee talent. extremely inconsistant and besides the serve nothing too exceptional. on great days he can hit a big ball that gets talked about but he doesn't deserve top 20 from his results nor his talent

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
he is not talentest than feli.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, the two main reasons have been mentioned already: His lack of consistency and his mental issues. With more consistency he would have won a few ATP tournaments already, he regularly beats players that are higher in the rankings. At his best, Muller can beat nearly everyone, even nowadays – Nadal had enormous problems at Wimbledon '11 for two sets (not just because of Muller's serve) and he should have won against Murray two months ago. Both times he choked at the worst possible moments.

It's a shame that he didn't live up to his potential, considering his achievements in 2001. Nevertheless, he's by far the best Luxembourgish player in tennis history, he managed to enter the top 50 and he had an amazing run at the USO 2008. That's something at least, even if some people seem to think that no player outside the top 20 has any talent.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
In other words, because he's shit.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
:D:DD Muller top 20:D that guy is pathetic, mostly playing challengers, when his serve has off day is not top 100 player... really Muller and top 20:D:D you made me laugh

·
Registered
21,621 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Having a good serve alone doesn't make you a Big player , You need more to your game than just a serve ! He can,t return for fudge ! Has a one dimensional big hitting game as well ! You need more than a serve to be top 20 , he agrivates me quite a bit ! Ryan Harrison has a big serve but he,s got game to match !

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
wow I just noticed he is 28yo... why this guy even received a thread like this? :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
wow I just noticed he is 28yo... why this guy even received a thread like this? :facepalm:
This, that guy is pathetic player, even his serve isn´t that good, i mean he is lefty that´s it, but he has no pace comparing to other big servers, and his groundgame is horrible-almost KArlovic style, but Ivo at least his serve is - used to be 3x more lethal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts