Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the masters series? why can't they have other events like the 250s or 500s? The US has so many but Canada only has 1 atp main event which is the rogers cup, granted we do have futures and challengers events but I'm talking about 250s, and 500s.

I say as a Canadian we should have more tournaments in this country.

·
Federer fan forever
12,903 Posts
other countries deserve the 250/500 more than Canada .You guys have a masters 1000 event .Be happy about it .

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I think all 4 grand slams should be relocated to my home city of ottawa.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Weather. They could maybe have some indoor events from Aussie to IW stretch. Only other time they could have some would be in the US Open series, but there is already one Canadian event in the US Open series.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Because of weather. Summer months are short. They just had some challenger or some WTA event at Quebec City.
I don't think it's easy to build in-door complex either. Tennis courts take up too much space and lest likely utility. Not economically efficient.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not good enough, make Vancouver challenger an indoor carpet event as part of indoor season.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Possible; if somebody wants to cough up the money. If it is public funded (even partially) it won't fly. But if canadian players become more successful, there could be more interest in tennis.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Summers in Calgary or Edmonton are pretty dry and hot, I can tell you! ;)

Canada has a masters already, so that's quite a big chunk. Also, it's a matter of $$$$ of course - Canadian players aren't among the big ATP cash cows.
Compare what happened to Hamburg in Germany - no big German players, so it got demoted.

·
29,327 Posts
Summers in Calgary or Edmonton are pretty dry and hot, I can tell you! ;)

Canada has a masters already, so that's quite a big chunk. Also, it's a matter of $$$$ of course - Canadian players aren't among the big ATP cash cows.
Compare what happened to Hamburg in Germany - no big German players, so it got demoted.
I'd be much happier if we went from 7 future events to 14 or something. Help our younger players start out on the circuit. After that, with the USA challenger circuit and tournaments, we don't really need anymore tournaments in Cnaada. Tennis Canada seems to agree, only 3 years ago we had 3 futures and 2 challengers (really just 1, Vancouver isn't a Canadian event) and 1 masters series.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
other countries deserve the 250/500 more than Canada .You guys have a masters 1000 event .Be happy about it .
I think all 4 grand slams should be relocated to my home city of ottawa.
Why scrap Cincy?

Where do we put the grass courts?
Cuz by the time the Rogers Cup is done, everyone is all burned out and lots of upsets occur at Cincy and u have lot of players not "showing" up. example, the big 3 didn't win this event.

Put grass over the previous courts.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
As far as I'm aware, there are no big tournaments in South America, despite all the great players from Argentina and Chile- I'm thinking that's more of an issue than Canada, that already has a masters.

·
29,327 Posts
Cuz by the time the Rogers Cup is done, everyone is all burned out and lots of upsets occur at Cincy and u have lot of players not "showing" up. example, the big 3 didn't win this event.

Put grass over the previous courts.
Maybe you became a tennis fan last month, but if you look at the history, say the last 20 years, every player to win Cincinnati has a career high of 4 or higher. If you look at Canada, Canas (8), Pavel (7), Johansson (13), Woodruff (29), Ferreira (6) and Pernfors (10) do not. That is only the last 20 years. It seems that Canada is the one not taken seriously.

Also, I will just ignore the last comment about grass courts..

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
i think it's pretty much apt that canada have only one but a big event, considering the public interest, cash flows etc......ask me what is the real tragedy in tennis......not one masters event in the whole of south american continent......that never stops baffling me......a continent that produced vilas, kuerten, nalby, del potro, rios......

south america is one fascinating land......there is a sense of hugeness and a lot of happening when you see or talk about countries like brazil ,argentina......party life, beaches etc......i so want to visit brazil one day and see the christ of redeemer......

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Disagree here, attendance is very good, its well supported, places like Shanghei should not have one if anyone.
I mean Canada isn't that big a tennis country, though it would be ok to have an indoor tournament (500) at Vancouver or Calgary instead of lets say San Jose or Memphis (as if there wasn't enough tournaments in the USA).

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
i think canada is pretty fortunate to have a masters event when other countries like sweden and germany which have a much richer heritage in the sport only have a 500 at best. And then you have places like brazil or argentina which only have 250's.

im not saying canada shouldnt have its master im just saying that part seems screwed up to me.

the canadian women have a smaller event on tour so i dont see why canada cant have atleast a 250. but we do have alot of futures and a couple challengers so its not like we have nothing else.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts