Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where has the tennis world gone I ask you? We have almost no good match ups. Rarely does a good match pop up where it's won on merit with no obvious score to the end. Players keep crumbling in important points or parts of matches, a world #1 with absolutely no competition (and don't get me wrong, Nole is there by right, he's just beyond human ability these days) which makes all the big events NID as hell.

I'm honestly bored to hell. I love the game to death but the lack of competition and great matches (we get good ones every now and then, no great matches in my recent memory) just makes it a never ending bore-fest.

I became a tennis fan around 2006, Fed ruled but he had awesome matches every now and then, then Nadal came along, then Nole and Murray (DelPo, sometimes Roddick, etc.) started raising their level and we got great matches pretty much every other tournament. Rome final was epic for 3 years in a row at some point for example, now it's as boring as a rug.

The greatest match I watched this year was the absolutely hilarious challenger match between Berrer and Lacko in Ra'anana challenger. That pretty much sums it up.

I'm sad :sadface:

PS

Sorry bout the rant, had to let it out.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Predictable response by Djokovictards. Of course they enjoy the domination of their favourite, they proved by their choice of favourite already that they enjoy boring tennis. Nothing you can do against bad taste. :shrug:

For all others however, i.e. the waste majority of fans, the sport is on life support. Zero competition, little variety in style, predictable results = no need to watch. I don't care for some struggle in the QF or something, it might be interesting taken for itself, but in the end it won't matter, because the overarching story isn't there. I don't like a movie or a book either with predictable, boring finish, whatever crazy stuff might go on with some minor characters.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Everybody's thoughts upon opening this thread "Definitely going to be a Fed fan".

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
If big tournaments are boring for you, you always have this smaller events like ATP250 or challengers.

Besides, it's nothing new. Big4 basically wins big evens since years. YEARS.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Did you complain when Federer dominated, or won all the time?

Double standards at its finest from these fans complaining that its boring. You wouldn't say a thing if it was your favourite.
Care to show when was the last time Federer won everything worth winning from AO to right before RG? - I'll help you - it never happened.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Where has the tennis world gone I ask you? We have almost no good match ups. Rarely does a good match pop up where it's won on merit with no obvious score to the end. Players keep crumbling in important points or parts of matches, a world #1 with absolutely no competition (and don't get me wrong, Nole is there by right, he's just beyond human ability these days) which makes all the big events NID as hell.

I'm honestly bored to hell. I love the game to death but the lack of competition and great matches (we get good ones every now and then, no great matches in my recent memory) just makes it a never ending bore-fest.

I became a tennis fan around 2006, Fed ruled but he had awesome matches every now and then, then Nadal came along, then Nole and Murray (DelPo, sometimes Roddick, etc.) started raising their level and we got great matches pretty much every other tournament. Rome final was epic for 3 years in a row at some point for example, now it's as boring as a rug.

The greatest match I watched this year was the absolutely hilarious challenger match between Berrer and Lacko in Ra'anana challenger. That pretty much sums it up.

I'm sad :sadface:

PS

Sorry bout the rant, had to let it out.
Another :smash: butthurt Fed fangirl whining.

The truth is, tennis is in a great shape and is more entertaining and exciting than ever. We have a great champion at the top and competitive exciting field. The tennis is more popular than ever, there is more money in tennis than ever, attendances are breaking records year after year. If you can't enjoy it too bad. Good riddance. Don't let the door hit you on your way out. Goodbye :wavey:

Reactions: leng jai

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
If big tournaments are boring for you, you always have this smaller events like ATP250 or challengers.

Besides, it's nothing new. Big4 basically wins big evens since years. YEARS.
At least they had each other to challenge. :shrug:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Care to show when was the last time Federer won everything worth winning from AO to right before RG? - I'll help you - it never happened.
Federer won every slam there is except the FO b2b all the time. He has had 3 years of winning 3 slams. Who said it was boring then? I didn't think it was boring.

Federer did win btw like djokovic has this year, he won one year the AO, then 4/5 masters.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
no more djokovic pls

·
Registered
53 Posts
At least they had each other to challenge. :shrug:
So djokovic hasn't been challenged by prime Rafa? What about in 2011? Djokovic cleaned the floor with him in 7 finals.

Djokovic has dealt with both Federer and Nadal through his career, now tell me, who has experienced this competition ever?

Nadal is btw 11 months older than Djokovic. Why can't he keep up with djoko? It isn't novaks fault. He is doing what he is doing because he is too good. Give credit where it's due.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Federer won every slam there is except the FO b2b all the time. He has had 3 years of winning 3 slams. Who said it was boring then? I didn't think it was boring.

Federer did win btw like djokovic has this year, he won one year the AO, then 4/5 masters.
Believe me, I know what he won. He was dominating, no arguing about it. But he never was a threat to sweep the clay season. Besides every neutral would have to admit that the artistic, graceful style of Federer is more enjoyable to watch than the robotic game of Djokovic, however efficient it may be.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Believe me, I know what he won. He was dominating, no arguing about it. But he never was a threat to sweep the clay season. Besides every neutral would have to admit that the artistic, graceful style of Federer is more enjoyable to watch than the robotic game of Djokovic, however efficient it may be.
Well I think that is a matter of an opinion.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
So djokovic hasn't been challenged by prime Rafa? What about in 2011? Djokovic cleaned the floor with him in 7 finals.

Djokovic has dealt with both Federer and Nadal through his career, now tell me, who has experienced this competition ever?

Nadal is btw 11 months older than Djokovic. Why can't he keep up with djoko? It isn't novaks fault. He is doing what he is doing because he is too good. Give credit where it's due.
We are talking about now though, not about past years. I won't argue he wasn't challenged back then. I give him credit that he is efficient at winning (what else could anyone do?), but it doesn't change that it's as boring to watch as yesterday's news.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Well I think that is a matter of an opinion.
obviously, but there's a reason that Djokovic's game has been described as "boring" by past players e.g., while nobody would ever use that word to describe Fed's game.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
You know there's tennis outside of top tournaments, right? Watch some challengers! You'll find some good matches there.
This might be true, but it's admitting defeat. Every player plays the game for the big moments, the big trophies, the big finals. The same for me as a fan - I want to watch the top echelon and be entertained.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts