Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No main event Muzza on Centre Court how badly will the figures drop? Any predictions on the numbers?

2013 Murray vs Djokovic - 17.3 million viewers
2012 Murray vs Federer - 16.9 million viewers

I'll say they drew 9 million for this.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Quite a big drop I'd imagine. Didn't Murray's wimbledon final last year draw the highest ratings out of all UK tv for the year?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Probably about 10-11 million depending on the time. The British F1 Grand Prix was also on for part of the final which would have affected ratings as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What were the ratings in 2011?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the 08 final trumped both? People I know who had no interest in tennis were clued to that one but weren't bothered about watching the Murray finals.

·
Registered
283 Posts
They'll be down. British GP and Tour de France (in the UK) were on tv at the same time! Was hard to keep up as a sports fan.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only Wimbledon ever with more viewers than last year was Borg vs McEnroe in 1980 which beat it by 100,000.

Crazy to think of that match getting so many viewers back in the day.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The only Wimbledon ever with more viewers than last year was Borg vs McEnroe in 1980 which beat it by 100,000.

Crazy to think of that match getting so many viewers back in the day.
Well because there was only Terrestrial TV back then in the UK, and no Sky/Freeview/Cable, it was quite commonplace for popular TV shows (Soaps, Comedies etc) to draw in 15-20 million viewers per show, and Wimbledon was a huge draw back then as it was one of the only sports broadcast live in the UK then. I remember shows like Only Fools and Horses drawing in around 17-18 million an episode, not to mention soaps like Corrie. :)

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
A peak audience of ten million saw Novak Djokovic claim Wimbledon title

Sport lovers were spoilt for choice this weekend, when nearly half the television viewing population tuned in to the BBC for a piece of the action.

With Wimbledon and the World Cup reaching their latter stages, and Lewis Hamilton seeking to turn on the speed at Silverstone, 27.8m people - 48% of viewers - watched at least 15 minutes of sport between Friday and Sunday.

A five minute peak of ten million people saw top-seeded Novak Djokovic become the men's Wimbledon champion on Sunday afternoon after a five set thriller against seven times winner Roger Federer.

The average audience for the match was just 5.9m (a 38.6% share), however - well down on last year's average of 12.1m, peaking at 17.3m, when the nation willed Andy Murray to victory.

The audience for Saturday's women's final - in which 2011 champion Petra Kvitova gave a masterclass to Canada's Eugenie Bouchard - peaked at 3.1m. There was little time to look away, though, as Kvitova raced to the title in 55 minutes.

Saturday night's World Cup quarter final between Netherlands and Costa Rica attracted 9.4m at its height. Louis van Gaal's team pipped the winner of England's group to victory via a penalty shoot-out, with BBC One netting a whopping 42.8% share of the audience.

And a peak of 8.1m tuned in for Friday's early evening clash between France and Germany, with Germany making it through to the semis with a 1-0 win.

Sunday also saw Lewis Hamilton close the gap on Nico Rosberg in the F1 world championship. Hamilton won the British Grand Prix, cheered on from their armchairs by 4.2m BBC Two viewers at peak. The race coverage took 22.6% of the audience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/28195929

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I'd love to know the viewing figures of the Women's Wimbledon final in the USA considering that most commercials over there actually last longer than the match did.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The UK tennis audience disappears after Wimbledon, they suddenly forget that there's tennis played the rest of the year. It seems that half of them forget even quicker though when Murray's not around.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'd love to know the viewing figures of the Women's Wimbledon final in the USA considering that most commercials over there actually last longer than the match did.
The time difference doesn't help during the american tour though. I should know, I stayed up until 3am watching last year's US Open final.

·
Registered
291 Posts
They'll be down. British GP and Tour de France (in the UK) were on tv at the same time! Was hard to keep up as a sports fan.
Yeah it was. Makes the OP question pretty irrelevant actually.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts