Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Olympic Singles Gold Medal is probably going to be the cherry on top on Federer's overall career. It might not be the highest award in the overall scheme of things, but there is something special about winning in the biggest overall sports event which celebrates sports in it's entirety in a discipline you excelled so much. One thread are saying that Wawrinka seems to be the most likely obstacle to Djokovic winning (although his next year's form is still on the air), and if he did win it and Fed has a great draw there might be a possibility that they could face in the Final.

So we have two Swiss guys in the Final, guaranteeing a Gold and a Silver -- basically a filler match for Switzerland in general. However, individually, the tension of one where it is is probably his last (or last on the highest level IMO) Olympics, while one has the opportunity to capitalize in one his best years, is going to be one of the most awkward pictures in sport ever.

How do you think each would feel if such an event happen? Some would say Stan would "bend over", but he didn't give Federer any mercy during his MC win -- Fed was around 2 or 3 points for the title and yet he came back from a Set down to win a title that Federer doesn't have, similar to an Olympic Singles Gold Medal. The tension of Fed facing Stan if somehow Stan finds a level similar to their RG match could be interesting and I wonder how he would handle pressure mentally. One thing's for sure: if they want to win , they surely won't prefer meeting each other.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Federer doesn't have a chance on HC against Stan if they meet up like this.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Federer doesn't have a chance on HC against Stan if they meet up like this.
Well, it would be closer than the French, and Stan might tighten up then. He kinda did during the WTF, for instance (though it was more bad choices then really choking as far as I remember).
What we've seen from him recently doesn't really point towards him giving Fed a walkover. But it would probably be a mentally difficult match for Wawrinka.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
one of the most awkward pictures in sport ever.
lol drama queen much, dude?
why again would it be that special? because both share the same passport? happens all the time in sports.
roger and stan are neither super friends nor super rivals. they just tend to live in the same country - one of them in the french speaking part and the other one in the german speaking part....

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Leave it to Mirka to make it even more akward...

·
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol drama queen much, dude?
why again would it be that special? because both share the same passport? happens all the time in sports.
roger and stan are neither super friends nor super rivals. they just tend to live in the same country - one of them in the french speaking part and the other one in the german speaking part....
Yeah, maybe I overdramaticized it a bit, but think about it: many think that he's the GOAT. While it is not necessarily needed to show his GOATiness, The Olympics is the biggest event in sport in general, and lately attracts many professional players on different sports that allows them to really show the best of the best. If Fed does reach the final he would have the chance to win something that the other Big Four members doesn't have (except for Djokovic of course but he still has time to win it in 2020) and win probably one of the best awards in sport in general. I'm pretty sure if this happens many would say that Stan would take it soft just to give Fed the gold.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Congrats to Wawrinka in that case I guess for his gold medal. And congrats to Fed for reaching a final/ a silver medal/ RU, gotta hope he won't be blown off the court completely. Congrats to Switzerland for 2 medals.

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
Yeah, maybe I overdramaticized it a bit, but think about it: many think that he's the GOAT. While it is not necessarily needed to show his GOATiness, The Olympics is the biggest event in sport in general, and lately attracts many professional players on different sports that allows them to really show the best of the best. If Fed does reach the final he would have the chance to win something that the other Big Four members doesn't have (except for Djokovic of course but he still has time to win it in 2020) and win probably one of the best awards in sport in general. I'm pretty sure if this happens many would say that Stan would take it soft just to give Fed the gold.
Dude, those Olympics are 1 year away from now. Just how bored are you that you're helping to spam GM with "what if" scenario's?

·
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude, those Olympics are 1 year away from now. Just how bored are you that you're helping to spam GM with "what if" scenario's?
Just a bit bored...there is a thread about who would be Djokovic's obstacle on the Olympics, and with 1 year away with that thread, eh why not make a thread like this and bump it a year later if it happens. It's been in the back of my mind for a while now, imagining the reactions here if that happens and whatever result happens too. It's like the perfect storyline...how will these Davis Cup teammates vying for sports history fight for the prize against each other? Will hearts be broken and fans be enraged? :lol:

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I don't think it would be that awkward. I mean, Fed & Stan run into each other with big stakes at Slams and WTFs already. I know this is Fed's last chance at the Olympics, but I don't think Stan would take it easy on him because of that. It would come down to who was best on the day.

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I know this is Fed's last chance at the Olympics, but I don't think Stan would take it easy on him because of that.
Just be sure that it will be Stan's last big chance too. He won't be in the contention as a 35+ years old...

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
If Federer loses he would turn into a lemon.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Just be sure that it will be Stan's last big chance too. He won't be in the contention as a 35+ years old...
LOL, I know. But until this time nobody would ever have expected Stan to come anywhere close to a medal showing, whereas Fed's been chasing the golden dream for 15 years.

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts