Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General idea about different match format already exists. And since me and every true tennis fan wants this sport to elevate, I think changing the match format is one of the ways to do it.

- Sets would be played up to the max of 5 games won (5-4) instead of the current 7 games (7-6) - this would reduce the empty games during the set and improve the dynamics of the each set
- bo7 instead of bo5 - with shorter sets but more of them, total maximum games played would be still similar, so this would be not longer or shorter format, this would just be the format with improved dynamics of each set and the more interesting whole matches (how about a new and intensive 7 sets (4-3) classics?)
- bo5 instead of bo3 - same applies as above

*to make tennis even more interesting, this new format doesn't have to replace the old one completely, tournaments can be divided so players get to face not only different surfaces but also different dynamics of the matches

So what do you think?

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
They’re already trying that out. At least sort of. At the next gen finals. Just removing the ad rule which is fucking stupid... but the idea of sets to four isn’t really anything new or innovative. The biggest problem I have with this that even more sets will go to a tiebreak, because there’s less margin for a break,

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They’re already trying that out. At least sort of. At the next gen finals. Just removing the ad rule which is fucking stupid... but the idea of sets to four isn’t really anything new or innovative. The biggest problem I have with this that even more sets will go to a tiebreak, because there’s less margin for a break,
That's possible, but if that would happen I wouldn't mind - I find tiebreaks interesting, and I think better more tiebreaks than more empty games.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
How about getting 4 points each time you hit your opponent with a ball? Lendl would be the GOAT.

Here's a video of him hitting some inferior player:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Are you serious? No ad scoring would be a colossal mistake. So many tense games we have gotten when it has gone from deuce to ad, back to deuce etc..

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Are you serious? No ad scoring would be a colossal mistake. So many tense games we have gotten when it has gone from deuce to ad, back to deuce etc..
I said that „removing the ad rule is stupid“ I’m strictly against it... you misunderstood my posting here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts