Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right. Anderson and Federer went to 13-11 and we already discussed introducing 5th set tiebreakers at all slams.

Now goddamn Anderson and Isner are engaged in another marathon currently 20-20 in the 5th.

I am all in favour of a fifth set tiebreaker at all slams if the game score reaches something like 10-10 or 12-12. Reaching double digits is already a solid achievement in itself. Isn't this a much better situation? Because we might as well hand the Pineapple trophy to the winner of Nadal v Djokovic. The winner of Anderson v Isner has literally 0% chance to win the final. We saw how physically and mentally dead Isner was in the following match after beating Mahut. As commentators have noted - it impacts the quality of the final, the organisers and the crowd all lose out.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Lets not kid ourselves here, we are all dying inside right now watching this match.

Nothing will be the same after.

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
12-12 is already painfully long.

9-9 would be a good logical point to start the tb

·
Registered
284 Posts
There is no need really for a tb in the fifth set, it only comes up when the server bots face each other in the fifth.

Of all the fifth sets in wimby this year only karlovic fed and isner/ anderson whent beyond 10 all.

So this only in extreme cases we get this kind of matches

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Even though long fifth sets aren't that common, thy do happen and in this case, apart for being very boring, has impacted on the final, which is likely to be poorer than it would otherwise have been. I would go for a super tie-break at 9-9 because if after playing over 5 sets you still haven't got a winer then clearly the two players are evenly matched and it's likely to go for a very long time and simply become a test of stamina.

Of course, the super tie-break could go to 157-155 or something. :grin2:

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is more of an anomaly situation where it lasted long as it is and I disagreed that rules should be changed for the sake of the rule change. This is a classic match no matter who you are. A tiebreak in 5th set will ruin this history and will have to rewrite the record book when comparing the players playing in this situation. FYI, this long match in 5th set is what got me become a tennis fan back in 1992 men's double final where there's tension of a long match before finally break his serve is a thriller than a tiebreak would be able to bring. I was 12 years old when it happened and I'm a fan of a long tennis match no matter the round. The tension is unreal even in the first point of any game in the 5th set than a tiebreak, in my opinion. The recovery from a 0-40 is more impressive than any tiebreak. With court 1 coming with the roof next year, there should be a semi-final starting at the same time with other semi-final to ensure that fans would not be grumbling so that tennis players would not have to wait that long and the court assignment should not matter.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Maybe if Wimbledon didn't stop play at 11pm and got roofs much quicker, this wouldn't be a problem. Btw this never is a problem at the AO, while USO are mugs who use 5th set tiebreaks and I just never find USO interesting tbh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts