Good for the game. Congrats Jack!

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Lesser evil won.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,655 Posts
Not a bad final at all. Momentum was so hard to be found. Jack up a break in the opener and and broken immediately! I suspect the rain delay didn't help things much. Ultimately Jack proved solid enough in the crucial TBs. Had Querrey taken the first set TB, things might be different.
Congrats Jack Sock - go and celebrate! Commiserations Sam!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Tough loss for Sam, but great victory for Jack Sock. He's now the #2 American behind Isner, 36 in the world and has got a chance and getting seeded at the French Open and/or Wimbledon.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Marvellous result for tennis and wonderful result for humanity. A year ago I really disliked Sock but he has won me over with both his game and his massively improved attitude.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Where would people rate Sock's FH compared to the rest of the ATP? I'd say Nadal, Federer and del Potro are definitely top 3, after that the likes of Berdych, Tsonga and perhaps for Djokovic for consistency/reliability alone. After that, it's hard to find a FH that's better than Sock's, he's packing some serious heat on that wing...

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Happy for Sock, it is just a shame he missed those 3 months to start the year, as the end of last year and first 3 tournaments of this have been very promising.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where would people rate Sock's FH compared to the rest of the ATP? I'd say Nadal, Federer and del Potro are definitely top 3, after that the likes of Berdych, Tsonga and perhaps for Djokovic for consistency/reliability alone. After that, it's hard to find a FH that's better than Sock's, he's packing some serious heat on that wing...
He has a much better FH than Nadull.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Happy for Sock, it is just a shame he missed those 3 months to start the year, as the end of last year and first 3 tournaments of this have been very promising.
Yeah but I think the time off and then dealing with his brother's issues and all that really helped his mindset. Although yeah, he was already improving last year and obviously won the Wimbledon doubles final.

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
It's easily top 10 for sure.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's easily top 10 for sure.
Yeah it's just hard to compare once you get there. I mean, it just depends what you value. Djokovic for instance obviously has more consistency but Sock's is the bigger shot, Fed has more variety but less power, etc etc

·
Registered
7,963 Posts

Hmm I think Sock's forehand is almost untouchable for sheer pop. The rest of the ATP is fortunate that Sock isn't as well rounded as he could be.

After Rafa and Roger...I don't think I would take Tsonga over him nor should Del Potro be in the conversation until he comes back and plays for a while.

Berdych has less upside with his forehand than Sock but they might be comparable right now (not technically but in terms of overall impact).

Sock is probably comparable to Andreev at his best in some ways actually.

·
29,645 Posts
Sock's forehand's come on big time.

Sadly US/'murica hype train will be all over him expecting miracles. He can have a solid career with that FH though.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts