Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great final. I mean the quality was up and down, there were patches of spectacular rallies as well as the games with only UEs. But there was a lot of drama, a lot of respect between these two young players and a lot of shotmaking.

Ruud's topspin forehand is a weapon. Ruud's UE's are a liability. Garin's consistency is a weapon. His net play is rubbish (fortunately he doesn't have to use it too often).

Garin > Jarry, congratulations !

First title for Chile since Gonzo / Massu probably.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
What a final! So happy Garin won his first ATP final, feels bad for Ruud but he should be able to win his first title pretty soon. Best final of the year for me

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So so soooo happy for Christian. I have been waiting for him to have his moments since 2013 already. But he had been struggling so hard and for so long at transforming to the professional tour. Had been hovering between #200 and #350 for more than 4 years and only finally got into the top 100 just late last year. And look at him now, with a final and a title, he even cracks the top 50 now. I cannot be any happier. Well-deserved trophy, especially after saving 5 MPs in R2.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The key to this match was at 2-2 where Casper had 3 break points in the final set. He had some great chances but made some bad errors. He then played a bad service game to be be broken and couldn’t break back.

Overall this reminded me of the Kitzbuhel final between Goffin and Thiem in 2014, generally Casper played the Thiem role, he was aggressive looked to use his heavy forehand to dictate play. On the other hand Garin is more like Goffin, hasn’t got overwhelming power but uses great court positioning, taking the ball early, t do damage.

My feelings are they will both have great careers, Casper’s forhand is brutal in Clay when on. Disappointed about today but Casper lost to a great player, nothing to be ashamed about. Onwards and upwards.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Another new title holder in 2019

Didn't hear much of Garin before. And there is one Galan too, I can't keep this up anymore :lol:
And how the hell did Ruud reach the final here?

*goes to check the ATP site*

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
It could be a great rivalry over the years, especially on natural surfaces.

Another first title winner, we have just been spoiled and only 4 months are passed from the season yet.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Christian Garin now ranked #47, Casper Ruud ranked #68.

Who is the guy who once said on this forum that Casper Ruud would not have a better career than Sam Groth? LOL good luck with that prediction.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was disappointed because I am a big Ruud fan. At 2-2 in the second set, his forehand went walkabout. He could not hit a forehand to save his life. He was missing the court by yards, not feet. He lost his serve as a result, and at 2-3 his forehand was still wayward. He got it back, but by that time the score was 2-4 and it was too late.

Garin impressed with his court sense, and his ability come to the net at the right times. Someone posted earlier that Garin is a poor volleyer - that is not true, at least from what I saw yesterday.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that is not true, at least from what I saw yesterday.
There were at least three easy putaway volleys he missed in the 2nd set and for sure one overhead smash when he had whole court open. I think his ratio in the easy volleys was ca. 50% :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I already said this but to hell. Garin hits flat , early and aggressive. That's a fresh air. And difficult to sustain today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts