Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which are the top few tournaments with the most heat?

I was at Atlanta yesterday and it was pretty oppressive. The heat was relentless. It was difficult for the fans let alone the players. Atlanta has to be one of the hottest events of the year, not just by the high temperature but also the humidity.

Australian Open
Atlanta
Sydney
Brisbane

those have to be the hottest by some margin.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Which are the top few tournaments with the most heat?

I was at Atlanta yesterday and it was pretty oppressive. The heat was relentless. It was difficult for the fans let alone the players. Atlanta has to be one of the hottest events of the year, not just by the high temperature but also the humidity.

Australian Open
Atlanta
Sydney
Brisbane

those have to be the hottest by some margin.

It's been near 100 in NY, can't even imagine what its like in Atlanta

·
MONSOON season.
82,211 Posts
It's been near 100 in NY, can't even imagine what its like in Atlanta
NYC gets disgusting in summer. Was there a few weekends ago and it was in the low 90s and unbearable.

Why they choose to have a tournament in Atlanta in this part of the year is beyond me though. I would never go as a fan.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
NYC gets disgusting in summer. Was there a few weekends ago and it was in the low 90s and unbearable.

Why they choose to have a tournament in Atlanta in this part of the year is beyond me though. I would never go as a fan.
Well maybe if there were more fans then they'd be cooler? :Badumtsshhh:

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the tournaments in Australia obviously top the list, but I must say, I recently played tennis not too far from Atlanta and by ONE hour in, I was COMPLETELY gassed and it took probably a good 24 hours over recovery. I don't think many understand just how oppressive the southern United States is in the summer, weather-wise. I challenge the countless people I always hear complaining about NYC weather to head down to the South and see if they still would complain. It would get quiet quick.

·
Super Moderator
18,668 Posts
I played at the USTA tennis center in NY tonight and it was brutal - can't imagine what it must be like playing in the day in Hotlanta

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Because of where it is held in Sydney, I would chose Sydney. It gets fairly hot out that way, although Sydney generally is one of the more livable cities in Australia, weather wise. It was 45 degrees celsius on the court that on one of my visits, and even the crowd needed breaks in the shade after each set. And obviously given AO is BO5, it is potentially the hottest and therefore toughest guaranteed event.

However, cities like Melbourne, Brisbane and especially Perth and Adelaide are more likely to hit the 40s and stay there for a week.

I imagine there are worse places on the tour though. Even our most northern ATP event (Brisbane) is below the Tropic of Capricorn). Surely some of those early year latin swing tournaments get difficult.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Indian Wells can get pretty scorching hot.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
no mention of washington, can get seriously muggy up in that swamp

·
Registered
11,204 Posts

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
By order of their 10 year averages at the time the tournament was played: Atlanta then Washington at the top, then a 3-way between Cincy, W-Salem, and Acapulco.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Cincinnati and Washington (the humidity in DC is terrible that time of year)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts