Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do players stay during Grand Slam, Masters and ATP 500 (and 250) events? Do they have to pay for hotel and meals? Is it one official hotel or a few hotels to choose? Does anybody know which hotel is an official one during Roland Garros?

·
Registered
33,357 Posts
During Wimbledon a lot of them stay at local residents houses. I once saw Carla Saurez Navvarro randomly walking down the road outside of Wimbledon grounds in her Tennis gear :lol:.

·
Premium Member
11,778 Posts
Depends on money, status, grand slam titles, etc.

Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, can stay where they like.

Top 50 players typically go for hotels.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well on smaller events like Futures , organizers make a deal with a hotel to accommodate players at a certain price for a single or double room, they are free to chose another hotel if they don't like it though.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
In the US Open there are official tournament hotels where main draw (and maybe qualy) players get a free room until a day after their elimination. Some players like Horacio don't stay in these official hotels but most of them stay somewhere near Grand Central which is where the shuttle bus to the tennis center leaves from. As for Challengers and Futures, the players usually take the cheapest option they can find, there is a youtube series in Spanish called La Clase Baja del Tenis (lower class of tennis) that discusses and shows these problems.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
^^^The rooms aren't free, but they are discounted by a lot and if a player makes it to the main draw, the players' per diem cover the room cost. The per diem is supposed to cover food as well. In the US Open, once a player makes it to the main draw, their hotel room costs during qualies get covered retroactively in that main draw players get a higher per diem rate.

·
Super Moderator
18,670 Posts
During US Open, lots of players stay at the W Hotel and the Sofitel in midtown Manhattan but there are so many 5 star hotels around the area that everyone is usually scattered a bit.

·
Registered
449 Posts
At the Aus open a lot of the top players stay at the Crown towers in the popular south bank area of the city . I know from a person who used to work there that Andy Roddick was very unpopular with staff there. Some stay at rented private residencies or serviced apartments more commonly associated to long term stays, especially if they have large familes..Rog....but like everywhere as the players fall down the income spectrum the places change.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
When I worked at the Stockholm Open, players paid around 100 euros for rooms that were normally 200 euros. Almost all tournaments have 1-3 official hotels with discount rates.

Some players avoid staying at players' hotels like the plague, Agassi and Sharapova come to mind. I assume they want to avoid fans, press and competitors.

Top players that get appearance money probably get their accommodation for free but I don't think Slams and Masters treat any players to free accommodation. Not entirely sure though.

Wimbledon is a special case since London traffic is bad and there are very few good hotels near the tournament. I think Cannizaro House is the only half decent place.

·
MONSOON season.
82,288 Posts
At Wimbledon lots of the French players seem to stay together in the same area. I was staying in South Kensington one year and ran into a lot of French players there, all hanging out together.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
They rent the houses. It's a very lucrative market for people who have the "right" sort of house and don't mind being absent for a few weeks during Wimbledon.

I know the WTF or whatever we're calling it now has an official hotel - once it was one at St. Katharine's Docks, on the north side of the Thames from the O2, but more recently it was somewhere in Westminster. Federer still rents a house, though, I think - well, when you have 4 kids I imagine being cooped up in a hotel isn't great.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Some of them stay as guests as well tho, I was lucky enough to host a couple of wta cheeks (more like itf level) and banged a few of them. It's pretty much the same as hosting some couchsurfers only your guests have pro profiles on the itf page.

·
Registered
11,007 Posts
For RG, players can choose wherever they want to stay but usually some hotels are proposed. They got like 180€/day for qualies guys and 300€/day for MD players.
I know Nadal is in Melia Royal Alma every year. For the rest it is usually 4/5 stars hotel in west of Paris.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My girlfriend at the time was staying at the Andaz in NYC. When I was leaving around midnight, I saw Sharapova entering. Too bad I didn't say anything!

·
Banned
19,217 Posts

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
What am i reading? isnt accommodation in all ATP 250 and above payed for players who make it into MDS and MDD?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Player in the womens draw at RG (Kasatkina) had only booked her Airbnb for one week, so had to move into a Hotel.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
In 2013 and 2017 I slept at the Radisson Blu Boulogne which is 15 minutes walking from Roland Garros stadium
Last year, I met in this hotel Ivan Lendl in the elevator, he even asked us if we were going up or down :)
I was staying as long as I could at the breakfast to see some players. I saw Philip Kohlschreiber and Florian Mayer among others
And in 2013, Wozniacki was 2 tables away from me at the breakfast, and some other players like Stakhovsky, but I don't remember all

In 2016, I was very lucky because I had won a worldwide voucher for 2 nights for the Hilton group and stayed for free 2 nights at the Rome Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria, a beautiful palace (otherwise I could really not afford it at all), not that far from the Foro Italico. One morning, to my big surprise, Wawrinka came quickly for breakfast with his girlfriend Donna Vekic, it was a Thursday morning, and I was wearing a tee-shirt with the Argentinian flag...and the thing is that the day before, Stan had lost to Juan Monaco, so he looked up at me, did not say anything of course, but was a very funny souvenir. I also saw Venus Williams in the lobby and according to the reception staff, Novak Djokovic was staying there too but I did not see him. They also told me that If Djoko is in one hotel, for sure Federer and Nadal will be in a different one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts