Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Nole dusts off Ferrer which he should. My god rank 5 on down is pathetic. No one else capable of winning or what?

·
Federer fan forever
12,903 Posts
But we get 3 quality matches at least .And this hasnt occurred that much I would say .Only the third time since 2008 US Open

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
i say enjoy it, they are all playing well. I dont care about the 96 bottom feeders because at the end of the day, it's about quality and we will be getting it.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Mug era NID

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
With all this certainty about Djokovic beating Ferrer... hmmm... A little like a fresh Tsonga going up against Nishikori, who had just played 9 tough sets in the last two rounds and was dead on his feet in the first set.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea thats another thing.. Where's Tsonga? I thought he was supposed to shake things up here.. Guess he disappeared again

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
it's definitely dissapointing.... the field is not very deep at all. i hear all the time commentators and tennis analysists saying how tough and strong this era is, and how deep the field is, and how it's only a tiny little bit that seperates the top few guys from the top 100th. but let's get real. this isn't the case. if it were, lower ranked players would have great days/streaks every now and then and win these big tournaments or at least make the SF's.

the fact is the field today is pretty bad. there are a few great players not in the top, Ferrer, Soderling, Del Potro- but the field in general is extremely poor.

the illusion is that the top 4 are so miraculous as much as the tour is just not that great. Don't get me wrong. Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray- they would all probably be on the top of the tour in any era. but they would not make it to years of consecutive Grand Slam SF's and win practically every 1000 and GS. I'm afraid of what will happen when Nadal/Federer/Djokovic/Murray are gone. the youth of tennis today seem disturbingly lacking of pizazz and talent. Tennis will not be fun to follow if we're left with a poor field, with poor players beating slightly poorer ones

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
A combination of the top 4 being too good (with the top 3 being a level higher) and the rest of the guys scrambling for the scraps.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well not to totally just bitch and complain to complain . But MY GOD.. We aren't talking a year or two. We are talking going on FIVE YEARS of the same old same old. You would think within that amount of time we would have some new names thrown in the hat for threats to the top.

At this rate, Murray, Nadal, Fed and Nole are going to be monopolizing the sport for another 4-5 years. Not one other player is making ANY headway. I thought Maybe Tsonga or Del Potro possibly.. But anyways...

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
A lot of thanks to the perennial wasted talents like Tsonga,Del Potro, Monfils, Gasquet, Fiasco or Berdych for that.
Mug era,really.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Well not to totally just bitch and complain to complain . But MY GOD.. We aren't talking a year or two. We are talking going on FIVE YEARS of the same old same old. You would think within that amount of time we would have some new names thrown in the hat for threats to the top.

At this rate, Murray, Nadal, Fed and Nole are going to be monopolizing the sport for another 4-5 years. Not one other player is making ANY headway. I thought Maybe Tsonga or Del Potro possibly.. But anyways...
Since your a fan of the Sampras era and the whole diversity prospect.

Give it a few years. Once Federer is injured/retirement mode, Nadal's body breaks down, and Djokovic is past his peak, you're going to find a plethora of players that will win championships.

You might like it setsampras since there's no disparity by then, but I can't promise you 100% that the quality of tennis will be as attractive as the big 3.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Hopefully it will be:

1. Plenty of players winning championships (no disparity)
2. The players winning these championships will all play high quality tennis (no ugly cinderella one time crap).

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
A lot of thanks to the perennial wasted talents like Tsonga,Del Potro, Monfils, Gasquet, Fiasco or Berdych for that.
Mug era,really.
Another good point.

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Meh... you have WTA where different player won every slam last year, where the USO champ crashed out in the first round, and where the #1 is slamlesss - and people whine how it's crap, inconsistent, etc. While on the ATP where top 4 are super-consistent everybody whine again :p

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Well not to totally just bitch and complain to complain .
:superlol:

That's all you do! You're a useless nostalgictard (like all nostalgictards) who thinks tennis was better when Petros was getting humiliated by journeymen in the 1st round of RG while Agassi was home having fun with crystal meth.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Meh... you have WTA where different player won every slam last year, where the USO champ crashed out in the first round, and where the #1 is slamlesss - and people whine how it's crap, inconsistent, etc. While on the ATP where top 4 are super-consistent everybody whine again :p
I think more of what makes WTA pathetic is you have the younger girls who are whalloped by some of these old Serena era holdovers. Clijsters has a kid, takes damn near 2 years off or whatever, comes back and dominates. ROFL when back before she struggled to do much slam wise

1 - 20 of 50 Posts