Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
What ATP has done to protect federer’s ranking is just too much, its so obvious as well what they are doing. At least WTA will drop points before the Year ends.

·
Registered
Max Purcell
2,911 Posts
You can't be top 100 if you lose to laaaksonen and Herbert

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I agree with him, this abnormal situation should end soon.

On the other hand, it's arguable whether the ranking should be based on one year's results, or more.

For example, in the Official World Golf Ranking, it's 2 years (it was even 3 years at the beginning). This makes the ranking more stable (players don't drop off that quickly after a few bad months), but also makes it more difficult for young players to climb the rankings after their first good season.

Golf players tend to have a long career into their 40's, so these longer rolling average periods are well suited for the sport. But tennis players now also often play at a top level until their mid-30's, so one could say the situation is no that much different.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fair play to him for speaking his mind. He's bang on.

I thought the rankings should be normalising soon, no? I get so confused with it all tbh bit won't we be back to business for the start of 2022?

·
Registered
285 Posts
He’s right, but he also would not have played as many challengers if the rankings weren’t frozen, meaning that his live ranking would probably be lower. In any event, I’d be happy to see all the frozen points fall off this week.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Fair play to him for speaking his mind. He's bang on.

I thought the rankings should be normalising soon, no? I get so confused with it all tbh bit won't we be back to business for the start of 2022?
It will approach normality fast now as more and more protected points drop, but we will only be back to completely normal mid August 2022.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts