Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rune believes he and Carlos Alcaraz could form the next big rivalry.

Rising Danish star Holger Rune believes he and Carlos Alcaraz could form the next big rivalry. Rune, 18, captured the French Open boys' singles title in 2019 and now he is enjoying a career-high ranking of No. 108 in the world.

On the other side, 18-year-old Alcaraz won his maiden ATP title in Umag this past summer and last week won the Next Gen ATP Finals. En route to winning the Next Gen ATP Finals, Alcaraz beat Rune in straight sets in the group stage.

"A lot of people are talking about the new Federer/Nadal rivalry," Rune told Sportskeeda. "Yes, it's possible. We have been competing since we were kids and have always had good matches. He is ahead of me right now with a little more experience on the ATP Tour than me.

Next year I will play the ATP Tour regularly and get the same experience. So we will for sure have many more good matches against each other."

Rune admits Alcaraz is more disciplined. "It was very inspiring to play the Next Gen Finals.

I feel I am disciplined, but I think Carlos is more disciplined right now than me. A little more mature. It was like that in juniors also at some point, he was a little ahead, but then I went in front. I am not so good at being number 2," Rune added.
Rune has made it clear that his goal for the 2022 season is to win his maiden ATP title. "I want to win ATP tournaments. I thing it's realistic to think I'll be able to win ATP 250 tournaments in 2022 and in the second half of the season I should be able to win ATP 500 events also.

If I can perform well in the Masters and Grand Slams that will be good. When the frozen ranking stops in 2022, I will be able to enter ATP 250 events and from there I will work my way up," Rune said.

We will see by end of year 2022 if he can compete with Alcaraz and Sinner…💁‍♂️

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Yes Alca, Sinner and Rune will be at the Top.
Next year I predict for instance Alca to do great damage on the top 20 guys. He beat tsitsi at us open 2021 already.

Skickat från min EML-L29 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did Joko talked like that when he was 18... Doubt it...

Ofcourse he used to trash talk his rivals around that age...why do you think he has all these haters? They probably remember how cocky he was back in the day. I think there's still video of him after FO 2006 saying he lost to Nadal because of his own mistakes rather than Nadal's great play and that Nadal is beatable on clay and he also said something along the lines of Federer was looking vulnerable in AO 2008 prior to their semi final meeting etc...that whole scene he caused with the crowd in US open 2008 after the Roddick incident and so on.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Ofcourse he used to trash talk his rivals around that age...why do you think he has all these haters? They probably remember how cocky he was back in the day. I think there's still video of him after FO 2006 saying he lost to Nadal because of his own mistakes rather than Nadal's great play and that Nadal is beatable on clay and he also said something along the lines of Federer was looking vulnerable in AO 2008 prior to their semi final meeting etc...that whole scene he caused with the crowd in US open 2008 after the Roddick incident and so on.
Ok you are probably right

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Sad that they feel they need too compare themselves . Let’s see them make a impact at a slam first . Both have big potential . it’s all just talk until they deliver .

·
Registered
Stan Wawrinka
4,833 Posts
This is the silliest thing I heard in a long time from a tennis player, vaccination excluded.

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
233 Posts
Holger Rune is a good player. Unfortunately he got injured this week and will not break into the top 100 before the end of the year. He should still be able to qualify directly for the Australian Open 2022.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's nice to have a young player talking openly like this. But talk is talk, now he's gotta walk the walk.

Or as they say in boxing, His mouth wrote checks his a55 gotta cash!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
No mention of Joe lol

·
Premium Member
12,643 Posts
Sad that they feel they need too compare themselves . Let’s see them make a impact at a slam first . Both have big potential . it’s all just talk until they deliver .
Everyone wants another Fedjokodal...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I see no mistake

9 times Serbinator defeated Claydal

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Rune sure has a lot of confidence in his own ability, which in itself is not a bad thing. It certainly puts pressure on him to perform though, otherwise he'll just be known as a loudmouth kid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts