Mens Tennis Forums banner

5001 - 5010 of 5010 Posts

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Any Canadians (or others) into hockey here? The national sport of CAN and all (IINM). Around 20 minutes until the puck drop of the World Championships final, FIN-CAN. Finland with an underdog run into the finals, taking out stacked Sweden and Russia along the way. FIN only with two players with some NHL experience (SWE I believe had 21 NHL players, and RUS had both the NHL and KHL points leaders among others; names like Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Kutcherov, Kuznetsov). Basically a team (with a capital T) effort from FIN to get here. Their coach is top notch (also coached them to their 2nd ever World Championship in 2011).

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Any Canadians (or others) into hockey here? The national sport of CAN and all (IINM). Around 20 minutes until the puck drop of the World Championships final, FIN-CAN. Finland with an underdog run into the finals, taking out stacked Sweden and Russia along the way. FIN only with two players with some NHL experience (SWE I believe had 21 NHL players, and RUS had both the NHL and KHL points leaders among others; names like Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Kutcherov, Kuznetsov). Basically a team (with a capital T) effort from FIN to get here. Their coach is top notch (also coached them to their 2nd ever World Championship in 2011).
1-1 going into the final period. FIN with one botched penalty shot. Several posts, and decent pace from one end to the other.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
FIN takes it 3-1. Goalie with 40 something saves, CAN pulled their goalie with 4 minutes remaining, massive pressure until the end. FIN with 18 first timers in the team.

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
^^ Finland reminds me of New Jersey Devils when they were coached by Jacques Lemaire. Pushers of highest order.

Yesterday Russia was attacking during the entire match, holding the puck most of the game. Perfect passing, scoring chances but Finland defense prevailed. One lucky bounce and they scored the winning goal.
Similar story today, with only difference that Finland was attacking more and Lankinen was superb in both matches.

Can't believe that Lankinen plays in the AHL as Blackhawks prospect ?!?!

·
Banned
349 Posts
^^ Finland reminds me of New Jersey Devils when they were coached by Jacques Lemaire. Pushers of highest order.

Yesterday Russia was attacking during the entire match, holding the puck most of the game. Perfect passing, scoring chances but Finland defense prevailed. One lucky bounce and they scored the winning goal.
Similar story today, with only difference that Finland was attacking more and Lankinen was superb in both matches.

Russia made only 3 shots on goal more than Suomi so you assessment is not correct.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts

A decent strategy when you're behind in individual talent. Only heard yesterday's match on the radio while at work, and watched the highlights later. Based on stats FIN still had plenty of shots on goal even against Russia. What I read, it was somewhat a classic RUS vs. FIN affair in the sense that RUS is full of talented individuals, but often not cohesive enough, resorting to too much individualism. FIN on the other hand banking more on disciplined team play, and the playbook.

Jalonen is an excellent coach. This was his 2nd World Championship (from the 3 overall for Finland). Also has a championship with the junior team (U20; only the 2nd guy in the world along with Mike Babcock with such a double). What I've read, he's great in building confidence and letting players take responsibility, as opposed to I suppose a more old school coach who's about yelling and old school discipline (FIN had such a guy coach the national team to 2nd place in World Cup of Hockey 2004 (= different than the World Championships; played only three times thus far; 1996, 2004 and 2016). That guy ended up quarreling with a number of guys, some of who said they wouldn't play in the national team under his management anymore, and eventually the dude was released from the job the same year despite the good outcome). Sure Jalonen will also demand from his players, but he's trying to coax it to come more from the players themselves in some way.

Lankinen... would think he'll at least get some more chances next season after this showing. Top notch performance here. Being a goalie, there's even more time to break through than a skater has.

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Russia made only 3 shots on goal more than Suomi so you assessment is not correct.
Shots on goal statistics I belive is recorded when shot is within the goal frames.
The actual match was all Russia. Penetrating the Finland third and creating scoring chances 5 on 5.

The key was Lankinen and team spirit of Finland. Lankinen was frustrating Russian attackers and they were reluctant to shoot as the time was passing.

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
A decent strategy when you're behind in individual talent. Only heard yesterday's match on the radio while at work, and watched the highlights later. Based on stats FIN still had plenty of shots on goal even against Russia. What I read, it was somewhat a classic RUS vs. FIN affair in the sense that RUS is full of talented individuals, but often not cohesive enough, resorting to too much individualism. FIN on the other hand banking more on disciplined team play, and the playbook.

Jalonen is an excellent coach. This was his 2nd World Championship (from the 3 overall for Finland). Also has a championship with the junior team (U20; only the 2nd guy in the world along with Mike Babcock with such a double). What I've read, he's great in building confidence and letting players take responsibility, as opposed to I suppose a more old school coach who's about yelling and old school discipline (FIN had such a guy coach the national team to 2nd place in World Cup of Hockey 2004 (= different than the World Championships; played only three times thus far; 1996, 2004 and 2016). That guy ended up quarreling with a number of guys, some of who said they wouldn't play in the national team under his management anymore, and eventually the dude was released from the job the same year despite the good outcome). Sure Jalonen will also demand from his players, but he's trying to coax it to come more from the players themselves in some way.

Lankinen... would think he'll at least get some more chances next season after this showing. Top notch performance here. Being a goalie, there's even more time to break through than a skater has.
You are right on target about Finland team cohesion and team disciplined (that's why I said they remaind me of NJ devils under Jacques Lemaire and even more on Minnesota Wild under this same coach - Jacques Lemaire who was known if strict defensive play and discipline. I agree that was the only way to beat the Russians.

What was different from previous championships, even divas like Ovechkin and Malkin played more disciplined hockey and played good defense, but they didn't managed to score.

I'm quite surprised that Finland managed to beat two good teams in a row - beating Canada today as well

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
You are right on target about Finland team cohesion and team disciplined (that's why I said they remaind me of NJ devils under Jacques Lemaire and even more on Minnesota Wild under this same coach - Jacques Lemaire who was known if strict defensive play and discipline. I agree that was the only way to beat the Russians.

What was different from previous championships, even divas like Ovechkin and Malkin played more disciplined hockey and played good defense, but they didn't managed to score.

I'm quite surprised that Finland managed to beat two good teams in a row - beating Canada today as well
Yeah, quite a cinderella run considering the roster. Actually beat three good teams B2B2B in the PO rounds; before CAN and RUS, a stacked SWE (21 NHL players; had won the last two championships). Defense, disciplined team wide play (and fairly short shifts to maintain fresh legs), and goal tending prospered here. I've said it already, but I'll say it again - the coaching staff also did a tremendous job.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
No championship this summer sucked!!

5001 - 5010 of 5010 Posts