Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a pro player develop a forehand on both wings?

Nadal is not even a leftie and Toni trained him to have a leftie forehand. As far as I'm aware, before that, when he was a kid he was hitting both wings doublehanded... maybe if that wasn't the case he could have two forehands?

I know it sounds crazy and probably is, but is it possible?

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Re: Can a pro player develop a forehand on both wings?

The DH backhand is basically a lefty forehand if it's left hand dominated (and it should always be)
The problem is, you have to change hands and grip constantly. Forehand slice is rarely used during the points unless it's a dropshot. Players could get rhythm easier while playing just two forehands.

However, if you served with your left and right hand you might have a big advantage, especially with a slice serve out wide.

It's possible, but I guess nobody has the balls to try it out. I mean, preparing a kid to be a pro player takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money, and this has never been done by serious players so who knows. I for one, would like to see it on the ATP tour.

p.s. Forgot to answer the actual question.

Example: Del Potro ( I think that's why you started the topic?) He could but I doubt it would ever be better than his BH, even if it's 50% as good as it was before.

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hey svenbj, thanks for your quality answer. Well I wasn't thinking about Delpo because a leftie forehand wouldn't solve his wrist problem since he would need it as well.
I was really thinking about Nadal, about how he developed a leftie FH while not being natural at it, and if another player could do it and keep his natural fh.
As you said a DHBH is just a forehand with the other hand stabilizing the racket, we still use the left hand, but it still feels diferent and we can't vary as much since the follow thru is always the same (example: you can't hit a reverse followthru dhbh :lol:)
Even the leftie forehands feel different than the regular forehands (Nadal, Verdasco, Klizan) and I think it's not only the different position, there's something different about it.

IDK maybe it's risky and useless as you said but sure would be fun to have such a player on the ATP tour

·
Registered
4,203 Posts

The DH backhand is basically a lefty forehand if it's left hand dominated (and it should always be)
The problem is, you have to change hands and grip constantly. Forehand slice is rarely used during the points unless it's a dropshot. Players could get rhythm easier while playing just two forehands.

However, if you served with your left and right hand you might have a big advantage, especially with a slice serve out wide.

It's possible, but I guess nobody has the balls to try it out. I mean, preparing a kid to be a pro player takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money, and this has never been done by serious players so who knows. I for one, would like to see it on the ATP tour.

p.s. Forgot to answer the actual question.

Example: Del Potro ( I think that's why you started the topic?) He could but I doubt it would ever be better than his BH, even if it's 50% as good as it was before.
I think that is the biggest problem for sure. It would be very difficult to switch hands mid rally. The two handed BH may be similar to a lefty FH but at least you don't have to remove the right hand, only an add a left which is much quicker and easier to do than to switch hands entirely.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

Yes of course it's possible but it's stupid. All double-handed shots should be banned from tennis.

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That little detail I wasn't thinking about, the racket switch :lol: ofc the switch would be much quicker if the other fh would be hit with your hand higher in the grip. but that would just make you look like a rookie mug :lol:

or...

He would play with two racquets :lol:
And become the Lara Croft of tennis :lol:

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes of course it's possible but it's stupid. All double-handed shots should be banned from tennis.
I was talking about two forehands... not two double handed like Bartoli was doing in her days...

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

I was talking about two forehands... not two double handed like Bartoli was doing in her days...
Oh I see now. Hmm yes I think it would be possible, but you'd have to switch hands a lot.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

Hey svenbj, thanks for your quality answer. Well I wasn't thinking about Delpo because a leftie forehand wouldn't solve his wrist problem since he would need it as well.
I was really thinking about Nadal, about how he developed a leftie FH while not being natural at it, and if another player could do it and keep his natural fh.
As you said a DHBH is just a forehand with the other hand stabilizing the racket, we still use the left hand, but it still feels diferent and we can't vary as much since the follow thru is always the same (example: you can't hit a reverse followthru dhbh :lol:)
Even the leftie forehands feel different than the regular forehands (Nadal, Verdasco, Klizan) and I think it's not only the different position, there's something different about it.

IDK maybe it's risky and useless as you said but sure would be fun to have such a player on the ATP tour
Aye, there are 3 forehand finishes(at least by the tennis theory I stick too) so you could certainly mix it up more. And I believe we use more hip drive and generate more pace on the forehand, because the other hand in the DHBH kinda limits the hip movement (especially since not a lot of players hit that jumping DHBH like Safin did; Rublev does it too and it's a beauty)

So I guess you could play amazing attacking tennis, but you'll have problem in long rallies, constantly switching hands and not having time to prepare for the shot (and preparing for the shot is basically the most important part). Imagine trying to constantly pass through Djokovic on slow hard. Tiresome stuff. Yet, you'll have to play low percentage agressive tennis. That player would be a potential fan favorite.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

Aye, there are 3 forehand finishes(at least by the tennis theory I stick too) so you could certainly mix it up more. And I believe we use more hip drive and generate more pace on the forehand, because the other hand in the DHBH kinda limits the hip movement (especially since not a lot of players hit that jumping DHBH like Safin did; Rublev does it too and it's a beauty)

So I guess you could play amazing attacking tennis, but you'll have problem in long rallies, constantly switching hands and not having time to prepare for the shot (and preparing for the shot is basically the most important part). Imagine trying to constantly pass through Djokovic on slow hard. Tiresome stuff. Yet, you'll have to play low percentage agressive tennis. That player would be a potential fan favorite.
Oh, and he'll still need a backhand slice for ROS. :lol:

·
Registered
7,904 Posts

ROS (lowest reaction time) would be the biggest problem. And a lot of players are already returning a lot better with their BH.

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So next step is to pressure ATP to allow two rackets. Quite a beautiful sight watch the next ernesto breaking two rackets at once

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Reactions: blackwell
1 - 20 of 47 Posts