Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
Terrible. And right on the cusp of Easter.

Thankfully it seems nobody was hurt.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
How sad! I'm glad no one was hurt and also this is very nice CNN affiliate BFMTV reports that the family of French billionaire François Pinault has pledged €100 million ($113 million) to the reconstruction of the fire-ravaged cathedral.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
seems the structure will hold, but very sad to have such an iconic cathedral be fire damaged like that. I'm amazed how long the blaze lasted, 15 hours was it?

·
justice for all
13,130 Posts
I know I'll maybe get attacked for it but to me media pay too much attention to it and make too much ado about nothing. While there's so many other more important things/ problems going on they talk about it now like 24/7 now.

Come on, nobody got killed and let's be honest - it's mainly due to French negligence that the cathedral got on fire.

What matters here is that Roland Garros complex is intact!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I know I'll maybe get attacked for it but to me media pay too much attention to it and make too much ado about nothing. While there's so many other more important things/ problems going on they talk about it now like 24/7 now.

Come on, nobody got killed and let's be honest - it's mainly due to French negligence that the cathedral got on fire.

I don't agree with you about the negligence part, because even the most solid buildings can burn down to the ground, but I agree, too much global attention for a cathedral on fire. The usual bunch of famous people responding to it make it even worse. "OMG OMG I am so hurt and I feel so sorry for everyone, because I just visited Paris and I went to the Notre Dame and I thought it was so great and I..." Uhm, it's not about you!

·
Administrator
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I understand where you are coming from, but I believe it is an iconic building in France that got destroyed in a fire. While it is being covered heavily, it is a major story, and mystery I guess until investigators what the initial cause of the fire was.

About the cathedral: Built in the 13th century, the medieval structure is considered a feat of architecture as much as a religious symbol. It is one of Paris' most popular attractions, drawing an estimated 13 million visitors a year.
Seems like a good enough reason for many news networks to cover a story on a fire in a building like this. :shrug: Not every devastating story needs to include death for it to be news relevant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts