Your visions will happen
48,648 Posts
Time stops for no one

Time for Felix to start his #QuestFor20

·
Super Moderator
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is, then so be it!! I want Rogie to win grand slams still, but it's time for tennis to get younger...
Yes, it is since there were only six Slams which haven't been won by the Big4 where they have been beaten either in Semifinals or Final (Wawrinka 3x, Safin 1x, Del Potro 1x, Cilic 1x).

·
Super Moderator
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to believe people are still fantasizing about a never existed "Big 4".

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Just the four most consistent dudes in the course of 15 years in every regard, but yeh it’s a Big5 ofc lol

Reactions: getjeffrey

·
Registered
29,239 Posts
"End of an era" sounds like an exaggeration to me.

None of them are in the quarters, because 2 of them didn't participate and one got defaulted.

As for Murray, hard to say if he'll ever come back. But Fedalovic will.
Get back to me if it's the same in USO 2021.

·
Super Moderator
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"End of an era" sounds like an exaggeration to me.

None of them are in the quarters, because 2 of them didn't participate and one got defaulted.

As for Murray, hard to say if he'll ever come back. But Fedalovic will.
Get back to me if it's the same in USO 2021.
It’s the end of an era with the Big4 appearing in Slam QFs for 16 years in a row, that will be for sure unmatched.

Nobody is burying the Big4 already

·
Registered
29,239 Posts
It’s the end of an era with the Big4 appearing in Slam QFs for 16 years in a row, that will be for sure unmatched.

Nobody is burying the Big4 already
Eh the thing is, if this doesn't happen again until say 2023, then USO 2020 is not really "the end of an era". It's a semantic thing.

But yeah, might be the last time we see 4 players winning everything for 16 years straight

Reactions: sav001

·
Super Moderator
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eh the thing is, if this doesn't happen again until say 2023, then USO 2020 is not really "the end of an era". It's a semantic thing.

But yeah, might be the last time we see 4 players winning everything for 16 years straight
Ofc it is the end of the era of Big4 reaching the QFs in a row. What you are saying is that the Big4 era is over, whereas it’s here about no Big4 member reaching the QFs after 45 Slams (!) in a row

·
Registered
68,568 Posts
This will be the beginning of de miñaur era as soon as he captures the title this sunday

·
Registered
29,239 Posts
Ofc it is the end of the era of Big4 reaching the QFs in a row. What you are saying is that the Big4 era is over, whereas it’s here about no Big4 member reaching the QFs after 45 Slams (!) in a row
"End of an era" is an expression that implies that what has happened frequently so far, will stop happening from now on and something new is beginning. It feels like "a streak has been broken" is a more relevant expression in the context you are suggesting.
Anyways, enough of this. Semantics are boring

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The big 3 aren’t done yet but I’m happy to finally see a new slam winner. It never was the big 4 cause will Murray did consistently make it far like the big 3, he almost always got clapped by them and his career isn’t even close to theirs.

·
Super Moderator
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"End of an era" is an expression that implies that what has happened frequently so far, will stop happening from now on and something new is beginning. It feels like "a streak has been broken" is a more relevant expression in the context you are suggesting.
Anyways, enough of this. Semantics are boring
Exactly that’s what era means since, let me quote from the Cambridge dictionary, a ‘period of time’, which is in this case the Big4 members reaching Slam QFs for 45 Slams in a row, ‘of which particular events’ (Big4 succeeding) ‘or stages of development are typical‘. There could be the possibility of another group of players reaching Slam achievements consecutively, just like the Big4 or Djokdal or whoever reaching a similar streak again.

Nothing wrong to state this as an era since one era contains several different subsections of eras again, to state it philosophically many suberas in the Big4 movement. Take a look at Baroque age and its differentiations within.

Semantically we do agree on the term ‘era’, but have different perspectives (which is why this conversation is rather of hermeneutical nature). Both views are acceptable tho.

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
Exactly that’s what era means since, let me quote from the Cambridge dictionary, a ‘period of time’, which is in this case the Big4 members reaching Slam QFs for 45 Slams in a row, ‘of which particular events’ (Big4 succeeding) ‘or stages of development are typical‘. There could be the possibility of another group of players reaching Slam achievements consecutively, just like the Big4 or Djokdal or whoever reaching a similar streak again.

Nothing wrong to state this as an era since one era contains several different subsections of eras again, to state it philosophically many suberas in the Big4 movement. Take a look at Baroque age and its differentiations within.

Semantically we do agree on the term ‘era’, but have different perspectives (which is why this conversation is rather of hermeneutical nature). Both views are acceptable tho.
Eh, would we really call this period an end of an era, if its just one slam between another next 10 of the standard happening?

If it won't, its definitely the end of an era tho

Reactions: sav001

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Whoever wins it will be an Asterisk Slam. Because when the Big 3 return, they will be back to winning slams. At least for another season or two

·
Super Moderator
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eh, would we really call this period an end of an era, if its just one slam between another next 10 of the standard happening?

If it won't, its definitely the end of an era tho
Again, Big3 (doubt with Murray) are capable to get a streak of winning Slams easily again, but at least for the rest of the players their nimbus of always reaching the Slam QFs is gone.

Besides given Murray’s current issues it really is sadly the end of the Big4 era since people still hoped Murray could get back to his former self again. Unfortunately this will be close to impossible.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts