Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Their sole FO Titles, with Nadal out the way.

Lets say their form by the time they won, LAST THREE ROUNDS.

It's obvious with Federer's struggles entering and the day after Nadal exited that he had the messier, more spotty tournament.

Djokovic faced the tougher finals opponent in Murray, who was a bit out of gas for 2 sets though before making a late comeback.

Federer faced the tougher quarterfinal and seminal opponents, although Potro also physically was quite spent by the 5th set and on fumes, in his first ever semifinal.

Djokovic however faced Berdych who only made it there because the tour was paper thin (Berdych got double bageled by Goffin before the tournament), and Thiem who was in no way ready for a semi and really a brainless ballbasher then.

Which level do you prefer?

Who would come out on top in a hypothetical match-up?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Djokovic was probably overall stronger then in 2016 than Federer in the FO of 09, as he beat Nadal and Murray to achieve it, Federer had very nervy moments throughout the FO in 2009 but he managed to hold it together in the big moments, to get that vital RG win.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Djokovic was probably overall stronger then in 2016 than Federer in the FO of 09, as he beat Nadal and Murray to achieve it, Federer had very nervy moments throughout the FO in 2009 but he managed to hold it together in the big moments, to get that vital RG win.
Djokovic didn't beat Nadal. Nadal withdrew from the tournament.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,236 Posts
In 2015 he beat Nadal in straights. Nadal was only coming back at the time i think

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Djokovic didn't beat Nadal. Nadal withdrew from the tournament.
Oh yeah your right that was 2015, hmmm that makes it a little trickier

I think given Federer's near defeats against Haas and DelPo, I have to still give it to Djokovic given that he always seemed in control that 2016 tournament, it seemed never in doubt.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Your visions will happen
51,462 Posts
Oh yeah your right that was 2015, hmmm that makes it a little trickier

I think given Federer's near defeats against Haas and DelPo, I have to still give it to Djokovic given that he always seemed in control that 2016 tournament, it seemed never in doubt.
Disagree. Djokovic did not beat anybody that event. His draw:

Lu, Darcis, Bedene, RBA (ok 1 tough match), Berdych (past it), Thiem (baby), Murray (worst surface)

Compared to 09 Federer:

Martin, Acasuso, Mathieu, Haas, Monfils, Del Potro, Soderling

There was really no easy match on paper for Roger.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts

It's obvious with Federer's struggles entering and the day after Nadal exited that he had the messier, more spotty tournament.

Djokovic faced the tougher finals opponent in Murray, who was a bit out of gas for 2 sets though before making a late comeback.

Federer faced the tougher quarterfinal and seminal opponents, although Potro also physically was quite spent by the 5th set and on fumes, in his first ever semifinal.

Djokovic however faced Berdych who only made it there because the tour was paper thin (Berdych got double bageled by Goffin before the tournament), and Thiem who was in no way ready for a semi and really a brainless ballbasher then.

i think you’re confusing something here. Del Porto was perfectly fine until the end of the match. Federer just raised his level in set 4. why would he be running on fumes. He barely broke a sweat on his way to the semis only dropping one set. It was the 2012 match where he ran out of steam and was helpless from the middle of the third

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Disagree. Djokovic did not beat anybody that event. His draw:

Lu, Darcis, Bedene, RBA (ok 1 tough match), Berdych (past it), Thiem (baby), Murray (worst surface)

Compared to 09 Federer:

Martin, Acasuso, Mathieu, Haas, Monfils, Del Potro, Soderling

There was really no easy match on paper for Roger.
That one tough match would rather be Murray, who started off great but as already out of gas by set 2 for whatever weird reason. RBA was still pretty much a no name then who hasn’t had any significant results in big tournaments. Also clay is his worst Surface

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Tough one to answer, Federer generally had tougher opponents while Djokovic was never really in trouble throughout the tournament. Djokovic was probably better throughout most of it but I think Federer played a better final match as he straight setted Soderling who might’ve not been as good as Murray but he still got to the final doing the impossible which makes him a worthy opponent.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fed had a tougher draw and played at a higher level in the later rounds. And that wasn't even Fed at his best on clay, while that was Djokovic's best. Fed was better in 2006/2007 easily.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,236 Posts
Fed run was more impressive. I dont recall levels enough to answer properly but Federer had a tougher draw. Does not mean if Djokovic had same draw he would not have won the matches easier. Therefore the draw probably cant be a factor. To answer this you would need to watch how both are playing.

·
Premium Member
12,080 Posts
Federer no doubt.

Surprisingly new balls generation could have denied Federer two slams if it weren't for his good level of play.

Haas and Roddick both could have changed history

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Objectively, it is Djokovic and it isn't even particularly close. Djokovic lost two sets the entire tournament and bludgeoned Berdych, Thiem, and Murray from the quarters-final.

Federer, on the other hand, struggled mightily against Acacsuso (7-6, 5-7, 7-6, 6-2), lost a set to P-H Mathieu, and arguably should've lost against Haas and Del Potro. How he won that French Open is a modern-day miracle. There were no such miracles with Djokovic's victory, who was dominant from start to finish.

·
Your visions will happen
51,462 Posts
That one tough match would rather be Murray, who started off great but as already out of gas by set 2 for whatever weird reason. RBA was still pretty much a no name then who hasn’t had any significant results in big tournaments. Also clay is his worst Surface
Well Murray played 10 sets in the first two rounds for physical exhaustion, then played Karlovic and Isner back to back for mental exhaustion, then Gasquet and Wawrinka for both physical and mental exhaustion, just to play Djoker in the finals

RBA always matches up well with Djokovic, has taken a set all 4 times they played in slams, and has a 3-6 record since 2015 which is very good

Objectively, it is Djokovic and it isn't even particularly close. Djokovic lost two sets the entire tournament and bludgeoned Berdych, Thiem, and Murray from the quarters-final.

Federer, on the other hand, struggled mightily against Acacsuso (7-6, 5-7, 7-6, 6-2), lost a set to P-H Mathieu, and arguably should've lost against Haas and Del Potro. How he won that French Open is a modern-day miracle. There were no such miracles with Djokovic's victory, who was dominant from start to finish.
His opponents were at a higher level, Roger, imo in terms of how they were playing. Once Nadal pulled out of 2016 RG, everyone knew Djokovic was going to win. When Soderling beat Rafa in 2009, everyone knew it was Roger's best and possibly only chance of winning, which is why I think he played so nervous vs Haas and Delpo

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
I respectfully disagree. I don't see how Federer had more pressure to win the French than Djokovic. In fact, I would say it is the opposite because Djokovic came so painfully close on numerous occasions and arguably should have won RG before 2016, and that must have been weighing on him. Federer was never really close to winning RG prior to 2009. I believe he also only won four games in 2008.

I also disagree that Federer's opponents played better. I think the matches were close because of Federer's low level of play - even Acasuso gave him a run for his money.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think you’re confusing something here. Del Porto was perfectly fine until the end of the match. Federer just raised his level in set 4. why would he be running on fumes. He barely broke a sweat on his way to the semis only dropping one set. It was the 2012 match where he ran out of steam and was helpless from the middle of the third
"perfectly fine" isn't serving 43% first serves.

Whatever the reason was, he was running on fumes in that department and DF'ed to give the break. Also he moved slower to get to deep balls than before.

Reactions: BodyServe

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
This is like asking which is better - asterisked or legit slam. Convincing victory against the Olympic King in the final alone proves that Novak's 2016 level was much higher.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I respectfully disagree. I don't see how Federer had more pressure to win the French than Djokovic. In fact, I would say it is the opposite because Djokovic came so painfully close on numerous occasions and arguably should have won RG before 2016, and that must have been weighing on him. Federer was never really close to winning RG prior to 2009. I believe he also only won four games in 2008.

I also disagree that Federer's opponents played better. I think the matches were close because of Federer's low level of play - even Acasuso gave him a run for his money.
Novak Djokovic had hardly come much closer than Roger Federer to winning the tournament before he eventually done it. Roger Federer's previous finals to Rafael Nadal were closer than Novak Djokovic's finals against him, excluding 2008 obviously.

Roger Federer converted only 1/17 break points in 2007. I can't remember Novak Djokovic creating that many chances.

Your reference of Jose Acasuso is an MTF "classic", in which the member believes that just because Jose Acasuso was a comparatively low level opponent that he couldn't ever raise his standard. Philip Kohlschreiber arguably didn't have an A-game on clay as high as Jose Acasuso, but he defeated Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros. I know that MTF in the early years thought a lot of Jose Acasuso, and expected this type of performance all the time from him.

The best example would be Rafael Nadal, if you want to compare early round 4-setters. Rafael Nadal came through a tight 4 setter against Daniel Brands, of all people, in 2013. That doesn't mean that the level was poor from Rafael Nadal. Daniel Brands played at a high level.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Fed had a tougher draw and played at a higher level in the later rounds. And that wasn't even Fed at his best on clay, while that was Djokovic's best. Fed was better in 2006/2007 easily.
Agree that Roger Federer was playing better in 2006 and 2007 but otherwise the match up would favor Novak Djokovic in my opinion, struggling to beat JM Del Potro isn't a very good sign, and you also have to consider the nerves of good players, Novak is tougher mentally in such circumstances and he would win the match.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts