Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some excerpts

Without identifying the players who would be first to wield the hi-tech weapons, Eric Babolat confirmed "connected racquets", with sensors feeding back information on the players' forehands, backhands and much more besides, would be swung in anger for the first time, after a decade in development.

"For me it was incredible, that you can take the number one tennis player in the world (Rafa Nadal) and see that he doesn't really know anything about what is happening in his racquet, apart from his feel. He has no data about anything, and it is incredible to imagine.

In essence, the technology-loaded racquets collect data such as shot power and ball impact location along with the number of strokes, the level of spin imparted, total play time, endurance, technique, consistency, energy and rallies.

The information is transmitted through bluetooth to smartphones or tablets where players and coaches can analyze and share their data with other analysts and online communities.

"You will be able to see the data which could tell you you should do this and that. For example the racquet can tell people who think they are hitting a lot of topspin that in fact they are flatter than they think. From this information you can start to do things, but without information it is just..." he shrugs.
from
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pros-switch-hi-tech-racquets-time-wimbledon-115737211--ten.html

I think this removes some of the art of the game. But I guess it was only a matter of time. Many of the executives for baseball and basketball teams rely solely on computer models and advanced statistics to determine the correct players to field for their teams. I guess this is the new technology that will influence tennis going forward.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I agree that it is not good for the game in general (removes the "art" of hitting as you said) but it is still kinda cool.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Future seems so interesting.

Sarcasm mode off.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Gotta give one to Gulbis. Coaches can analyse and calculate the technique, height above the ground and force of impact necessary for a racquet to be considered destroyed. Technology well utilized.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
It's a neat idea but almost every pro already knows their game inside and out. It would be good for the average club player though who wants to improve.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Rafael Nadal backs first "smart" tennis racket

Eric Babolat, CEO of the French tennis equipment company Babolat, has announced the first “Connected Racket” into the sport after a decade in development.

Designed for professional players and amateurs alike, and tested by top players including men's number one Rafael Nadal, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Australian Open champion Li Na, the racket gathers data through sensors and chips in the handle.

Rafael Nadal said the opportunity for professionals and amateurs alike to compare their playing performance was a "great" innovation for the sport.

"I think it's great because you have the chance to know much more about your tennis, much more about the way you are hitting the ball ... and in the end you can compare your shots with [alot of] friends, with other players. It's a very interesting thing for the professionals but especially for the people who are interested on how to play tennis" Nadal said.

The racket will collect data such as the power of their shots, the angle at which they strike the ball, along with the number of strokes, the level of spin, total play time, endurance, technique, consistency, energy and rallies.

source [VIDEO]:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10829127/Rafael-Nadal-backs-first-smart-tennis-racket.html

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Re: Rafael Nadal backs first "smart" tennis racket

Good to see technology helping out Dull yet again. String technology is the reason why Dull could never have competed in earlier eras.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Is it even legal on competition ? There are raquet restrictions ( size, lenght,spaghetti strings are forbidden ! ) I would ban this Star Wars shit for ever on official competetions. What players do on practice is their own business of course.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Sounds very cool for the fans and stats geeks, but I don't think it will be that helpful for the players
Agreed. It provides info, not help execute a shot. Players themselves might find the info also useful, but beyond that I'm not sure how it helps them or removes the art of shot execution. Am I missing something?

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Sky are gonna have to get some more ipads.
Sky will probably invest in Football again. They've gone nuts with the football analysis technology every year. Won't be surprised to see Sky-bots invading the pitch to follow and inspect each player, next season. Though, would be useful to see if the guy rolling around on the ground is actually injured..

I'm shocked cameramen are even needed for Sports any more come to think of it.. It's only a matter of time till they become a thing of the past methinks..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts