Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

World number one Lleyton Hewitt has urged Spanish Davis Cup team mates Carlos Moya and Albert Costa not to collude in their Tennis Masters Cup clash on Friday. If French Open champion Costa beats Moya in straight sets in the final Red Group match, Hewitt will be out of the tournament he won last year.

Moya qualified for the semis with his win Wednesday over Hewitt.

"It would be bad for the game of tennis if there was anything between them," the Australian said after the match.

"Mathematically I still have a chance of winning the tournament and all I care about at the moment is the number one ranking."

If Hewitt reaches the final in the Chinese sea port he is certain to be crowned year-end world number one for the second successive year. However if he falls before the final and Andre Agassi wins the tournament the 32-year-old will pip him at the 11th hour.

Agassi lost to Jiri Novak earlier on Wednesday, however, greatly denting his confidence and his hopes of becoming the oldest player to finish the year in top spot.

Hewitt's eyes are still locked on the rankings as he prepares for his final group match against Russia's Marat Safin on Thursday. Safin beat him comprehensively in the final of the Paris Masters earlier this month.

The Russian has lost both of his group matches so far but Hewitt said: "My guess is as good as yours what the hell he is going to play like tomorrow so I have got to go out there and be mentally tough.

"The number one ranking comes into your mind going into a match tomorrow. Not too much the tournament, more so for me the number one ranking."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I agree with Vivalaseles. If he had won both matches he wouldn't worry about this.

If Costa is able to beat Safin and win a set over Lleyton I think he can also beat Carlos. He's not unbeatable as far as I know.

Besides Carlos have said he does not want to lose the match, because, although he's already in the SF, another win would give him more ranking points.

·
27,371 Posts
Aren't you over reacting a little bit VivalaSeles? I understand that you hate Lleyton, ok fine, but what did he do so wrong this time?

He didn't say that Moya was going to let Costa win, he just said that it would be bad if he did... and you don't know the whole story unless you've read Lleyton's interview ( and if you have, would you kindly post it because the official site doesn't have it yet and i haven't been able to find, thanks). I'm pretty certain that Lleyton didn't out of the blue mention this thing about Carlos and Albert... I would suspect that the interviewer said something about Moya and Costa being friends or from the same country and asking if Lleyton thinks Moya would do something to help out Albert or something of that matter... .If that's not the case, I apologize but please, don't jump to any conclusions!

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Oh please.

I already talked about this in the other thread.

Here is what happened:

Marat was paid to loss to Moya and Costa. Moya losees to Costa on purpose. The Spaniards drugged Hewitt so he would play miserable and lose a set to Costa, and a match to Moya.

However I'm still lost as to how ferrero fits in :confused:

I might also add that Moya and Costa both won the French Open because their compatriots let them win those finals. Because you know, that's what Spaniards do.

Those Spaniards, always helping each other out.

Such good guys.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
He publically suggested that the two Spaniards might intentionally throw a match.

Please spare me the defense.

I would LOVE to see your reaction if someone suggested something about Hewitt throwing a match.

I WAS rooting for Hewitt to beat Marat - untill this.

·
27,371 Posts
Well I know that article doesn't quote his whole interview because there's another article in the Lleyton forum where Lleyton goes on to say how much of a great guy Carlos is and how there's never been a problem between them or anything like that... I'm just saying that we don't know in which context this was said or anything like that and that it's probably better to wait and see the whole interview until y'all start bashing Lleyton!

Please spare me the defense.
I'm sure if ever a bunch of people were bashing Juan Carlos for something that could possibly be nothing, you wouldn't sit around and twidle your thumbs!

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Yeah! Since Fererro still has the chance to win FO in the next 10 years, he gave the crown to Costa as a wedding gift.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
angele87 said:
I'm just saying that we don't know in which context this was said or anything like that and that it's probably better to wait and see the whole interview until y'all start bashing Lleyton!

I agree his answer may be taken out of context but he should know better in giving an answer like this.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I'm sure if ever a bunch of people were bashing Juan Carlos for something that could possibly be nothing, you wouldn't sit around and twidle your thumbs!
Actually, during the Rome tournament Ferrero uttered "discrimination towards the Spaniards" which was just about laughed and harrassed right off the old ATP forum in WTAWorld.

Too bad the old threads weren't there, where you could see me laughing and making reference to "sour grapes" :)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
By the way - I don't see much "bashing" going on here. Regardless of the context I don't think he has any right to suggest that.

It's totally unnecesary. I WAS rooting for him to make the semis, and now I could care less.

I support many Spaniards (see the flag), and don't like someone indicating something like this about them.

It's not fair.

This isn't "bashing" - it is analysing a comment, that he said.

·
27,371 Posts
leecal said:

I agree his answer may be taken out of context but he should know better in giving an answer like this.
Well that depends... for all we know, Lleyton could of said "It would be bad for the game of tennis if there was anything between them" but they're both great guys and would never do something like that... that's the part we don't know... I'm not saying he did say that but before we see his interview, there's no way no know for sure :confused:

·
27,371 Posts
Rebecca said:

Actually, during the Rome tournament Ferrero uttered "discrimination towards the Spaniards" which was just about laughed and harrassed right off the old ATP forum in WTAWorld.

Too bad the old threads weren't there, where you could see me laughing and making reference to "sour grapes" :)
Not really the same situation but in any case, my mistake, I'm sorry, I shouldn't of accused you of anything!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hewitt should shut up his mouth. It shows bad attitude he has toward other players. They have their pride, they won't do that. He won't be in the SF anyway because Safin will kick his ass out of the China!!!!

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I made up the conspiracy shot in response to a poster in the tournament forum.

I only applied it to what Hewitt said after that - in which case I merely repeated it.

I find it all very amusing.

Did I mention the part about the Spaniards paying Marat to whip out a can of whoop ass tomorrow? That part is essential.

It amazes me - three of them in the year end top ten, and not an ounce of talent among them - all just helping each other out, and paying people off.

So smart ;)

·
27,371 Posts
VivalaSeles said:
"I understand that you hate Lleyton"

Do you ? It's so funny how you can interpret my thoughts and discover my feelings better than I can :eek:

Ok so maybe it's extreme dislike and not hate but whatever, it's the same thing... and you clearly dislike Lleyton " One more reason I have to cheer Safin and hope Hewitt does not make it to the semis ... " "Return to Australia Lleyton " and bringing up the James Blake incident.... again!

VivalaSeles said:

What did he do wrong this time ?

So, easy. He suggested that Moya and Alberto could "intentionally throw a match" - as Rebecca so insightfully pointed out. Meaning: that Alberto and Carlos are the kind of people that can/may intentionally throw a match. For you, it seems, this is absolutely legitimate and shows no wrong. Ok. That's your opinion. Mine is absolutely different.

Again, he should play BETTER on court, instead of talking rubbish outside it.
He said that Moya and Albert could intentionally throw a match? i'm sorry, I must of missed that the first 10 then I read the article :eek: For me, I'll wait to see his whole quote to judge if this is wrong or not!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts