Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22965739-12428,00.html

Hewitt trademark salute row

THE player who introduced the famous "vicht" salute to world tennis is outraged Lleyton Hewitt has adopted the trademark and stands to make millions.
The former Wimbledon champion is understood to have bought the rights to the distinctive celebratory gesture after former Swedish pro Niclas Kroon inadvertently let it lapse.

Kroon, 41, who held the rights along with former world No. 1 Mats Wilander from 1988, often used the signal whenever they won a point or game.

Broadly meaning "for sure", it is now widely used by athletes from other sports, including swimmer Grant Hackett and Crows defender Andrew McLeod.

"I wish he had called me first," Kroon said from his home in Houston, Texas.

"I don't know what to say. You get to a certain age and you realise people are f***ing other people all the time.

"It's all about business and making money. I'm so sick and tired of sh** like that.

"I know that he's surrounded by people who are probably going to make money from this.

"The thing about using the word "mate" in Australia . . . it probably doesn't sound so good anymore."

Kroon conceded the trademark may have lapsed several months ago after the death of his father, Erik, who handled his business affairs.

"My Dad just passed away and I haven't got the papers here but I'm going to check all this out in the next few days," Kroon said.

It's not the first time people have tried to use the "vicht" signal, which he and brother Michael first started using when they played yahtzee as children in the 1970s.

"We were fighting with some people in Sweden a long time ago," he said. "But Mats and I had the patent.

"We were paying (the fees for the trademark) even though we weren't using it.

"I've been doing stuff with it for years, even here in the States, for a small market.

"It's funny that it (Hewitt's move) happened now because I was just about to launch it here in the US and put it online."

Kroon said had planned to launch his own boutique brand of "vicht" clothing at the launch of a tennis and fitness club in Houston.

Eventually, he intended to market the brand more widely because of its popularity – similar to golfer Greg Norman's famous shark logo.

Kroon, a popular tennis journeyman who won an ATP title in Brisbane and reached a career-high ranking of 46, said he recalled Hewitt using the gesture at the 2004 Masters Cup in Houston.

"In conversation, he said it was Mats Wilander who started it, but a friend I was with told him that I was the one who started it," Kroon said.

"Every time he was walking off the court during his game I'd do the vicht sign and he'd be responding. We were doing it for fun, there was no big deal."

Kroon said he would consult lawyers over his right to use the salute in the future.

"We paid big money to get the rights years ago but back then Wilander was on top of the world, making money out his bum, and not thinking of the future," Kroon said.

"Neither was I. You don't think about making money from something like that (the vicht)."

Hewitt's manager David Drysdale told the Sunday Mail the gesture and the accompanying "C'mon" was widely known as "doing a Lleyton", especially among children.

"It's unique to him," Drysdale said. Hewitt has already begun wearing clothing with a stylised "vicht".

It is part of a major marketing push by his team and will involve casual and sports shirts and shorts – especially for children.

As well, he and wife Bec are believed to be in the throes of launching their own internet site as part of a move to soften his image.

In an interview with Australian Tennis earlier this year, Hewitt indicated he wanted to capitalise on the "vicht" salute.

"They (children) copy me for doing my signal – I'm not sure how to describe that signal, there's no real word for it.

"We're going to push that as much as possible as my brand and get it out there in the market place.

"Make shirts for kids, golf shirts and different kind of stuff like cargo shorts.

"I think kids growing up can relate to me."

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Hewitt admitted he stole it from Wilander in an interview before.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
that's gold Jerry, GOLD!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Kroon doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. You can't buy "rights" to a gesture. Anybody can design a unique logo using the gesture, but it's the logo itself would be protected. Kroon can protect a logo using the vicht that he wants to use on a clothing line, as long as it's unique from Hewitt's logo. Kroon definitely needs a lawyer, but only to teach him some basics of copyright law. And in any event, it sounds like Hewitt is registering his mark under Australian law, while Kroon's mark was registered in the US and/or Sweden. The Aussie tabloids strike again!

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Hahaha, good old Kroon, well Hewitt up to his tricks again.

It's simple really. The real Budweiser beer isn't American, it's Czech called Budvar, but the name Budweiser is the one that is more well known to the masses globally.

We know who the schyster's are in this case.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Wow...that is one weird piece of news. But just the fact that Lleyton suggests he had something to do with developing that gesture is pretty ridicilous. He´s looking more and more like a caricature of himself these days! COME ON!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts