Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former world number-one Leyton Hewitt has rubbished reports that he could soon be forced to hang up his racket and retire from live tennis action. The Aussie star has struggled with a series of injuries over recent years, so much so that many have expected the former US Open and Wimbledon champion to quit the game ahead of the 2012 season.

With the Australian Open coming up, Hewitt has insisted there is still plenty of life left in the old dog yet. The 30-year old was speaking ahead of his participation in the Hopman Cup – where he will team up with Jarmila Gajdosova to represent Australia.

"Retirement talks have been around since I was 26, because I was a 10-year veteran by then, so for me it's just a load of rubbish.

"I go out there and do my job and I'm fortunate that I'm in a sport that I can choose when I want to stop when the time is right.

"I'm probably more motivated now than even a couple of years ago really. Sometimes you just go through the motions a little bit I think, and you take everything for granted."

Following the Hopman Cup, Hewitt will prepare to compete in his 16th Australian Open. The 2005 runner-up was awarded a wildcard for the season’s opening Grand Slam, following a season where the Aussie was plagued by a toe injury – resulting in him missing large chunks of the year and dropping down the world rankings.

Despite Hewitt’s comments, it’s very plausible that this could be the veteran’s final appearance at his home Grand Slam and he’ll be looking to end on a high this year, so keep an eye on him during the live in-play betting action.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts