Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/2202897.stm

Lleyton Hewitt could follow the legendary Bjorn Borg in walking away from the game early, according to Australian Open chief executive Paul McNamee.
McNamee spoke out after the world number one was left fuming at a $103,000 fine handed out to him at the Cincinnati Masters earlier this month.

Hewitt called the ATP a badly-run "circus" and threatened to skip many of their tournaments from next year.

Former Wimbledon doubles champion McNamee said the ATP should learn from the loss of Borg, who walked away from the game when just 27 years old.

"Let's look at history here and sort out the problems in the sport which Lleyton has taken the lid off," McNamee told the Australian Associated Press (AAP).

"They have been there for a while and nobody has been prepared to talk about them. Go back 20 years...we lost a number one (Bjorn Borg)."

Borg retired in 1982 after a dispute over his plans for a four-month break from tennis.

"He wasn't allowed direct entry into tournaments as the number one in the world," McNamee said.

"And he had to play qualifying at Las Vegas and Monte Carlo which he had won.

"Because Grand Slams were independent he got a wildcard into the French Open, which he won, and he lost in the final of Wimbledon and the US Open. And then he quit.

"That is what happened. So we should take this pretty seriously."

Hewitt was fined after refusing to conduct an interview with host broadcasters ESPN before his first-round match in Cincinnati.

He told Sydney's Sunday Telegraph: "I'll change my schedule next year if the ATP keep up with this garbage.

"Next year I couldn't give two hoots about the number one ranking."

Tennis Australia (TA) president Geoff Pollard has written to the ATP to raise his concern about the level of the fine, AAP reported

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bye hewitt!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Oh geesh, that sentence wasnt serious. And if he was, I wonder where he was when Wimbledon was fu**ing up with the rankings to make the seeds like they wish.
I mean, if a fine makes him wanna quit, and if he is so concerned about the way they treat players, why didnt he open his mouth there? Oh yes, he cares about his own a** and thats it.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
This is why I hate Hewitt and his attitude. He can be a real asshole sometimes. Does he think the Tour would lack without him? How f'in selfish can he be?!?!?!

The comparison with Borg is out of line. Borg was a better player than Hewitt will ever be. Yes, he left tennis at an early age, but it was because he wanted to, because he felt he had accomplished everything he could. And look at him now: he's revered.

If Hewitt keeps up this attitude, he'll never be revered as the great player he can be.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I like Hewitts never say die attitude, and he doesn't really seem to be showing that here...

I read "They don't run things quite how I like, so maybe I'll just quit" - where is the fire power? Things dont change for the better if you just walk away from them.

If he is actually that concerned then he should stick around, get into tour politics, and try to make a change.

I DO find it hard to root for someone who flat out says they don't care :confused:

If he just wants to quit cause he is sick of it, then that is a different topic all together, and all of what i said can be thrown out ;)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
That said, it is unfortunate that the ATP doesn't seem to be making much of an effort to get along with, and market their number one player better :confused:

I see a lot of fault on both ends here.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I for one do not want him to quit he's the best thing to happen to the ATP just like Martina H. shook up the WTA. Also I'm starting to believe that the ATP feels that if their pets are badboys it's ok and if non-pets, watch out!!!

Tennis will survive without Lleyton but I don't know what message the ATP is sending to its players.

·
27,371 Posts
TennisHack said:
This is why I hate Hewitt and his attitude. He can be a real asshole sometimes. Does he think the Tour would lack without him? How f'in selfish can he be?!?!?!

The comparison with Borg is out of line. Borg was a better player than Hewitt will ever be. Yes, he left tennis at an early age, but it was because he wanted to, because he felt he had accomplished everything he could. And look at him now: he's revered.

If Hewitt keeps up this attitude, he'll never be revered as the great player he can be.
Please relax! You're making it sound like Lleyton said he would quit or that Lleyton compared himself to Borg! Lleyton said he would play a reduced number of tournaments... it's this McNamee guy that came out with all the "he might quit" stuff! And he's sick of the atp... that doesn't mean he thinks he's better than the tour. People quit their jobs all the time because their sick of their bosses!

Anyways I'd like you, or anybody else, to explain to me why Lleyton playing a reduced number of tournaments is so evil? Agassi does it... I don't see anybody saying how he thinks he's so much above the tour or how he's so f*cking selfish!

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
angele87 said:
Please relax! You're making it sound like Lleyton said he would quit or that Lleyton compared himself to Borg! Lleyton said he would play a reduced number of tournaments... it's this McNamee guy that came out with all the "he might quit" stuff! And he's sick of the atp... that doesn't mean he thinks he's better than the tour. People quit their jobs all the time because their sick of their bosses!

Anyways I'd like you, or anybody else, to explain to me why Lleyton playing a reduced number of tournaments is so evil? Agassi does it... I don't see anybody saying how he thinks he's so much above the tour or how he's so f*cking selfish!
:rolleyes:

I was pissed off at that article, but I certainly didn't get my panties in a twist. Excuse me for my outburst, Christ I didn't know I wasn't allowed to get angry. I'll play nice next time.

To answer your question, though. I couldn't give a damn what Hewitt does or doesn't do, it's just this attitude that if he left tennis, he'd somehow decimate the sport. Excuse me for believing otherwise.

·
27,371 Posts
TennisHack said:

:rolleyes:

I was pissed off at that article, but I certainly didn't get my panties in a twist. Excuse me for my outburst, Christ I didn't know I wasn't allowed to get angry. I'll play nice next time.

To answer your question, though. I couldn't give a damn what Hewitt does or doesn't do, it's just this attitude that if he left tennis, he'd somehow decimate the sport. Excuse me for believing otherwise.
You obviously didn't understand my post... or perhaps you did and weren't replying to me desptie quoting me in your reply :confused: I never said you shouldn't get angry but if you're going to call somebody a f*cking asshole don't be surprised if somebody asks you why, which is exactly what I am doing :confused: Lleyton critized the way the atp is run and said that if they weren't going to be more reasonable he was going to do what was more important to him, aka the grand slams, instead of what was important for the tour, aka all those masters events.... Although I somewhat agree that he's being selfish but who can blame him? The atp are being selfish showing no regards to the players so all he's doing is returning the favor! I look forward to knowing why Lleyton is such an asshole for playing less tournaments...

P.S If you get so angry about something you don't give a damn about, i'd hate to see you fighting for a cause you believe in :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have not heard of any other players coming out to support Lleyton in his feud with the ATP, have anyone?

And Lleyton should be told that the sport is greater than any individual player. If he wants to leave, quit, play less, so be it, there will always be other new exciting players ready to take his place.

Where is his management (Octagon?) featuring in all this? Do they encourage this whole mess?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts