Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
He was in quaters just once (actually he made a final). His match record is 29-15 (with this tournament).
While he has title in Wimbledon, one semis and 3 quaters. Match record is 39-13.
He has title at USO, final, 3 semis and 2 quaters. Match record is 41-11.
He has 2 quaters. Match record is 28-11.

Even at RG he was better.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Re: Hewitt couldn't handle the pressure at AO!

I believe Hewitt's 2005 run was the first time any Aussie had made it past the last 16 since Pat Cash in the 80s, so the curse was hardly confined to him alone. I think it's a combination of home pressure and the surface not being to his liking, it's far slower than US Open and Wimbledon (back then, at least). He got overpowered by forehand players like Moya and El Aynaoui back in his best years, and when he lost to Chela in 2006 he was heard shouting "speed up the court!"

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but this is his home tournament. Than, he is even better on clay. If he has 28-11 on clay he should have atleast 35-11 on AO.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

I believe Hewitt's 2005 run was the first time any Aussie had made it past the last 16 since Pat Cash in the 80s, so the curse was hardly confined to him alone. I think it's a combination of home pressure and the surface not being to his liking, it's far slower than US Open and Wimbledon (back then, at least). He got overpowered by forehand players like Moya and El Aynaoui back in his best years, and when he lost to Chela in 2006 he was heard shouting "speed up the court!"
Rafter made it to the SF´s in 2001.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

:lol:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
How come a baseline player like Hewitt succeeds on fast surfaces more so than slow surfaces? it doesn't make sense. I thought from hindsight he would have more success at Aussie Open and Roland Garros, the two slower slams compared to Wimby and US Open - the two faster slams.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
How come a baseline player like Hewitt succeeds on fast surfaces more so than slow surfaces? it doesn't make sense. I thought from hindsight he would have more success at Aussie Open and Roland Garros, the two slower slams compared to Wimby and US Open - the two faster slams.
Like's to use an opponents pace against them, or at least used to back in the day when he had the best legs in the game. Also prefers lower bouncing surfaces.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Also it should be noted in taking his AO record into account that 2002's R1 loss came on the back of chicken pox.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hewitt might have had one of the best passing shots of all times. I don't know anyone else who can line up a target the way he could, especially when he was younger. He just picked apart the older players whose games were suited to the fast Wimbledons and US Opens of the past.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts