Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Australian team enters Master Series Canada

(Jul 24) TORONTO (CP) - Lleyton Hewitt, ranked No. 1 in the world in singles, and fellow-Australian Todd Woodbridge, former No. 1 doubles player, have entered the Tennis Masters Canada tournament scheduled to start Saturday as a doubles team.

It would be a rare doubles appearance for Hewitt, who has competed in doubles in just five tournaments this year. He has won two doubles titles in his career, including the 2000 U.S. Open with Max Mirnyi.

"It is not often that I get to play doubles on tour, and I couldn't think of a better partner than Todd," Hewitt said in a release Wednesday from Tennis Canada. "I am feeling a bit better than a week ago and have started to train again for Canada; hopefully with better results than last year."

Woodbridge, a 14-year ATP pro, has won 74 career doubles titles, including 13 Grand Slam doubles titles. His most notable partnership came with compatriot Mark Woodforde as the pair won 61 titles in 80 finals.

Woodbridge currently partners with Jonas Bjorkman of Sweden

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I was hoping they'd get a small side court, but now that I think of it i'm pretty sure they will get a night session after the singles match on center court of something :(

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Todd Woodbridge's wife is had/having her baby? Atleast thats what Lleyton said about it today.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Thanks for informing us, Ana!

I was looking forward to this doubles team, would also be a good idea in view of future Davis Cup matches.

But yes, this is bad timing then!

Well, yet another tennis dad, quite a few these days! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts