Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mitya withdrew due to foot injury. No further details yet.
I hope it's just precaution but it's a pity anyway, he had such a great chance to do well there.

De Bakker dankzij walkover naar kwartfinale Rosmalen

Thiemo de Bakker heeft een vrije doorgang gekregen naar de kwartfinale op de Topshelf Open. De Westlander zou aanvankelijk in de tweede ronde aantreden tegen de als vijfde geplaatste Dmitry Tursunov (ATP-32), maar de Rus heeft zich teruggetrokken vanwege een blessure aan zijn voet. De Bakker, die in de eerste ronde landgenoot Igor Sijsling in twee sets naar huis stuurde, kwam op het gras van Rosmalen nog nooit verder dan de tweede ronde. De laatste keer dat de mondiale nummer 143 in de kwartfinale stond op ATP-niveau was in juli 2013 tijdens het ATP-toernooi van Bastad in Zweden. Voor een plek in de halve finale treft wildcardspeler De Bakker de winnaar uit het qualifier onderonsje tussen Joao Sousa (ATP-48) uit Portugal en de Kroaat Mate Pavic (ATP-475).
http://www.topshelfopen.nl/nl/nieuws.html

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You speak Dutch? :eek:
No. But Google Translate does ;)
Though you don't even need translation to realize that it's Mitya who has withdrawn. "Voor een plek in de halve finale treft wildcardspeler De Bakker de winnaar uit het qualifier onderonsje tussen Joao Sousa (ATP-48) uit Portugal en de Kroaat Mate Pavic (ATP-475)"

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh maybe it's not exactly an injury. Report from Tursunov's doubles match:

Things that happened during Matt and Dima's doubles match against Begemann and Rosol:

- A nicely angled shot by Matt caused the ball to bounce to the side of the net post, but one of the opponents (I don't remember who) got there just in time and hit it extremely low, around the net post, in the court but out of Matt and Dima's reach. Point, of course. But Matt thought it wasn't. Which, weird, you're a tennis player, surely you know this rule? He seemed ok with it after the umpire told him about it.

- Rosol was doing something wrong in Dima's eyes. I'm not sure what. Dima said, "why, every time when I serve, he hits it in the middle so that they're all running around..." The umpire didn't know what Dima meant (neither did I), to which Dima replied, "I know you're not aware, you're... in the clouds", and proceeded to complain. Then on the changeover there was more drama, and Dima said Rosol was "acting like a retard". When the two were dangerously close to each other, the umpire climbed down from his clouds and tried to stop them from arguing. Rosol got involved too, trying to defend his partner, saying "if you call me a retard I won't play", to which Dima truthfully told Begemann, "I'm not calling you that, I'm talking to [Rosol]". All the while, Matt was sat in his chair, trying to avoid the drama and distract the (small) crowd from the happenings by opening up his bag and showing everyone his orange Dutch NT football shirt. Then he went over to Dima and sort of dragged him back to the baseline. Bless you Matt.

- All this led to some awkwardness at the net, when Rosol declined Dima's handshake by shaking Matt's hand first and leaving Dima hanging, but after they all shook hands with the umpire, Rosol looked at Dima and said a handshake is okay, "this is okay", or something like that. And they shook hands, and everyone clapped. Bless you audience.
https://twitter.com/quadruplebagel/status/479022712565010432

Mitya, :banghead:

·
Registered
57,600 Posts
"why, every time when I serve, he hits it in the middle so that they're all running around"

What the fuck does that mean? :lol: Sounds like just bizarre behavior

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"why, every time when I serve, he hits it in the middle so that they're all running around"

What the fuck does that mean? :lol: Sounds like just bizarre behavior
I can think of the only thing—every time Tursunov missed 1st serve Rosol would not let the ball go but deliberately hit it into the net so that ballboys had to run around picking it.
But even if so it's still a bizzare complaint, I agree.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
thiemo got the points, all that matter
i hope dima is ok, of course

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Wow, what a draw for Sousa, honestly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts