Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
too bad kimmer couldnt play wimbledon qualies due to this, but nice chance, and nice match for him
still mahut was the favourite in this match, and he won it. well done, congrats

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

:lol:

·
Registered
21,401 Posts
To tell the truth am I supposed to be worried that Mahut actually lost a Set here?
I'm not really familiar with Coppejans' game, to be honest.

What I do know is that Mahut really needs to defend a good portion of his grass points, otherwise it might be career ending.

·
23,064 Posts
I'm not really familiar with Coppejans' game, to be honest.

What I do know is that Mahut really needs to defend a good portion of his grass points, otherwise it might be career ending.
I agree (although, career ending? maybe I won't stretch it that far, but it could be hard for him if he loses his Grass points I agree). Last year he is ranked very low and had to play Qualies, yet just lost 1 Set in total which also includes the Qualies. Now he's ranked higher it is a little concerning that he lost a Set here although I agree I didn't see the match to know how Coppejans played.

·
Registered
21,401 Posts
I agree (although, career ending? maybe I won't stretch it that far, but it could be hard for him if he loses his Grass points I agree). Last year he is ranked very low and had to play Qualies, yet just lost 1 Set in total which also includes the Qualies. Now he's ranked higher it is a little concerning that he lost a Set here although I agree I didn't see the match to know how Coppejans played.
Worst case scenario, him defending nothing or very little, and he would be out of the top 100. I can't see him coming back from that at 32, just look at his record this year.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Worst case scenario, him defending nothing or very little, and he would be out of the top 100. I can't see him coming back from that at 32, just look at his record this year.
Looking at his record over the clay court season wouldn't exactly tell you much. He had a worse year on clay last year and normally performs well on grass and fast indoor courts, basically the second half of the year.

He may well drop points here and at Newport but I think he'll defend enough coupled with having no points to defend at Wimbledon (every chance to win a couple of rounds there with an okay draw) and he should be safely inside the top 100. He should be comfortably able to enter most of the US hard court tournaments this summer before Newport points come off, so that will offer him chances to pick up points as he's hardly defending anything.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Saw the match, Coppejans was playing well. Mahut is not in great form, so it's a good win.. I don't expect Mahut to win this tourney twice in a row, but it would make this pathetic tournament worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Too bad Kimmer didn't upset Mahut here. Didn't see the match because I was at work.
Seems he has a decent grass game, as most Belgians have. I thought he was a pure gravel player for having had his best results on gravel and playing allmost only gravel challengers, but taking a set off Mahut is a nice result.

I believe he has potential, from what I have seen from his challenger gravel matches he's an attacking player instead of a grinder.
Top 100 material without a doubt. I believe there are only 2 players younger than him which are ranked higher than him, one being Kyrgios.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts