Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hewitt's glorious retirement tour, aimed at losing in all the places he long ago won in continues. He won the title here back in 2001.

There is, I suppose, a bizarre backwards logic to this pre-retirement year - Hewitt is living the normal tennis trajectory backwards, having largely skipped the usual scrabble up the ranks by winning his third professional tournament at 16.

Now 1-5 for 2015 (though doing slightly better in doubles at 3-4).

I really hope he pulls the plug on this sooner rather than later...

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Re: Hertogenbosch R1: Mahut df Hewitt 6-3,6-4

Hewitt is only interested in tweeting about weird Australian sports these days.

No surprise.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

If you can't beat Mahut, you can't beat anybody. Sorry buddy. Time to retire.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts

2004-2007

Strongest era in history

·
Registered
169 Posts

If you can't beat Mahut, you can't beat anybody. Sorry buddy. Time to retire.
He is retiring after 2016 AO, I suppose there is an argument that he should have retired this year, but after all these years slogging around the world, he deserves to do it his way.

A

·
0 Posts

He should'e just played a CH to get some wins on the board but I guess he's too proud.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

2004-2007

Strongest era in history
2005 - 2014 ... weakest clay era in history

He is retiring after 2016 AO, I suppose there is an argument that he should have retired this year, but after all these years slogging around the world, he deserves to do it his way.

I know. It's sad. He should have retired 2 years ago or more. Look, injuries stopped him from doing anything for years, and he has not been a factor. Why bother. The guy is a multi-time grand slam champ. That's enough

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You guys are all being absolutely horrible. This is someone who has given so much to the game - let him retire as and when he wants to, if he wants to go around saying goodbye to tournaments, fans and the people that run the tournaments that he will definitely have got to know then let him.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sad result. Hope he can win a match or two at queen's

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Yeah, hopefully he can win again on Grass. Good luck Rusty! You've earned it.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reading some of the comments here are so cringe worthy. Bunch of idiots , hes earned the right to do whatever he wants
The Oz cult of Hewitt strikes again.

Earned it?

Earning it would be if he had the ranking to get entry to these tournaments, as opposed to being gifted wildcards.

His career a decade back might have 'earned him' one or two wildcards - but he more than used up that credit a couple of years back when he played for a year entirely on wildcards.

I wouldn't mind so much if he was showing any signs of playing at tour level at these matches - but despite endless twitter piccies etc about how hard he has been training getting ready for the grass season, he really isn't so far at least.

But that isn't stopping him from campaigning for a slot on the Oz DC team that would be better devoted to someone who might actually be able to help the team win, not to mention allow another player to meet Olympics pre-qualifying requirements. Similarly, if he snatches the Oz USO wc from one of the young up and comers that would be decidedly uncool.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Reading some of the comments here are so cringe worthy. Bunch of idiots , hes earned the right to do whatever he wants
For someone like him, who is a multiple slam winner, losing to club level mugs left and right is a strong warning that maybe he shouldn't be on tour anymore.

Brisbane last year was a faint flash of the old times, but he never did anything after that.

·
MONSOON season.
81,973 Posts

Hewitt is only interested in tweeting about weird Australian sports these days.

No surprise.
He is genuinely trying though. He also got a WC for doubles, and Hewitt/Reid actually beat Draganja/Kontinen, which is no mean feat. If he didn't care, he could easily have tanked that match after they lost the first set 2-6.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For someone like him, who is a multiple slam winner, losing to club level mugs left and right is a strong warning that maybe he shouldn't be on tour anymore.

Brisbane last year was a faint flash of the old times, but he never did anything after that.
I think the problem for him in realising this is that on the face of it he has been in this position before - got to remember his ranking dipped to 200 in 2011, as low as 233 in 2012, out of the top 100 for over a year and a half yet kept plowing on (assisted by endless wild cards). Back then the excuse was injury, but doesn't seem to be the case now. But perhaps gave him a false sense of hope that it could all yet come good if he just keeps trying...

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

He is genuinely trying though. He also got a WC for doubles, and Hewitt/Reid actually beat Draganja/Kontinen, which is no mean feat. If he didn't care, he could easily have tanked that match after they lost the first set 2-6.
Except that he has now withdrawn from the doubles...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts