Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Both aged 23. I know the ATP is in dire need of new blood achieving something like a slam final or a masters 1000 title but this is too much.

Not only they only reached the semis of a masters 1000 (not that worthy of an achievement) they are also far from youngsters.

Federer, a notably not early achiever, won his first slam at 21, first masters 1000 at 20. Safin, Djokovic, Roddick, Ferrero, Murray just to name a few names of recent players had all achieved way more at an earlier age than 23.

Is it the big 4 that is too dominant or do the newer generations not have that great a quality players? Is the physicality of the sport, with slower courts and more grinding, partially responsible for the latter blooming of the younger players?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I don't see a problem here. We have a lot of good players between 27 and 33.
It's ok to call those two 23-years old "Youngsters" and both Raonic and Dimitrov are playing very well in the last months.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Late bloomers are now the norm with the ultra-physical game as opposed to the old game which emphasized talent. The male body is still developing into its 20s, whereas an 18 year old can hit the ball just as well as a 25 year old if he is talented.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Is it the big 4 that is too dominant or do the newer generations not have that great a quality players? Is the physicality of the sport, with slower courts and more grinding, partially responsible for the latter blooming of the younger players?
probably the second

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
It has nothing to do with the top 4 being dominant, considering these players have been losing to other players for the last few years.

Has tennis changed significantly in terms of court surfaces since 2008, or am I missing something? Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and Del Potro (and you could even throw the likes of Cilic in there too) were achieving considerably more than what these "youngsters" were at that age and even achieving more at that age than these players are now. Isn't that enough of an indication?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Youngsters doesn't mean,that they are young. It means, that they can improve.
That's why Gulbis is youngster.
Gulbis a youngster? Now I've heard everything. "Youngster" doesn't mean that "they can improve". Old men also "can improve".

youngster (ˈjʌŋstə)
— n
1. a young person; child or youth
2. a young animal, esp a horse

·
Registered
21,275 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I've been waiting for a youngster to break out for a long time.
It seemed like DelPo was the one, he was but got derailed by injuries and then
having to bring his level up again.
Then Roanic and Dolgo both came on strong at the AO but then didn't improve much
and were inconsistent.

So many jumped up and then didn't do anything, it's been so long.

Maybe Theim is the one, maybe Jerzy can get his head straight.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
If the game is more physical doesn't it make sense for players to be peaking earlier as you body is in better condition to cope with the physical side?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I don't see the problem with calling them "young guns." The average age of the top 100 has been increasing over the last decade, so it makes sense that the cut off for being a "young gun" would also increase

The bigger problem is that the ATP is declaring that these "young guns" are coming, when they'll probably both lose in the SF, and the Nadal/Djokovic dominance will continue for the rest of the year.

Also, they couldn't have found a slightly more flattering photo of Raonic?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If the game is more physical doesn't it make sense for players to be peaking earlier as you body is in better condition to cope with the physical side?
Nope, because there is such a huge gap between junior and adult tennis now. A 15 year old could be the number one junior in the world, and beat all his peers, but be unable to do any damage versus a Top 800 player. So the motivation isn't really with this player to bulk up immediately because he is at the top of his game.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
they are not that young to be
"young players" really :lol:

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Hmm, I wonder: Who are the two youngest players in the top 50?

It can't be, right? Surely not.

Oh wait, yes it can, its Raonic and Dimitrov.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts