Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7340393.stm

Henman joins BBC Wimbledon team

Britain's most successful open era player Tim Henman will join BBC Sport's team of experts for coverage of this year's Wimbledon Championships.

"I'm delighted to be joining the BBC team this year," said the 33-year-old former British number one, who retired as a competitor in September 2007.

"It's exciting for me to return to Wimbledon in a non-playing capacity."

He reached number four in the world in 2002 and will work as a commentator and studio analyst from 23 June to 6 July.

BBC TV executive producer of Wimbledon Paul Davies added: "Tim was an incredibly popular player and the success, drama and passion he experienced at Wimbledon has created a unique connection with both the Championship and British tennis fans.

"Returning to SW19 with the BBC team seems the perfect fit and his on-court experience will add a fascinating dimension to our coverage.

"We hope this will be the start of a successful partnership between Tim and the BBC."

Henman won 11 ATP career titles and reached four Wimbledon semi-finals in five years between 1998 and 2002.

==============================================================

Great to see Tim back at Wimbledon, although in a different capacity. Think he will make a good pundit and commentator

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Question is, who will get the chop? They have so many ex-champions on the pay-roll already, either the BBC is far too rich or they need to offload some of the deadwood.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Nice, now if they got rid of Andrew 'I want to lick Nadal's crotch' Castle, then I'll be happpy.

·
29,645 Posts
Why a mug who never achieved anything like Castle was sat next to champions like McEnroe, Connors, Stich in the studio was beyond me.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Nice, now if they got rid of Andrew 'I want to lick Nadal's crotch' Castle, then I'll be happpy.
:lol: Yeah he is probably the worst one out of the crew.

Was half expecting Tim to be doing something like this to be honest. And it's about time he gets off his backside and does something anyway. :p

·
Registered
375 Posts
Whenever I've heard Tim Henman giving opinions about anything, he sounds quite bland and over-measured in his responses. Not sure he'll be that good on the BBC team.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
completely misread that thread title when i first saw it. thought it said henman was going to sue the bbc.

anyway, its hardly the biggest surprise

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
YES! I never liked Henman, but I look forward to this :rolls: Wimbledon without him just isn't the same, almost like major national football tournaments without England :p.

Please, please, please remove Lloyd :bounce:

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
WELCOME BACK TIMMY :D:D :woohoo:

give him and Rusedski the Murray matches

one big british loserfest - what Wimbledon is all about :yeah:

Reactions: Verd

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I thought the title said that Henman was going to sue the bbc :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Behind ze scenes of ze BBC at Wimbledon 2008:

Sue: Timmy? Why are you packing your bags? There's still a men's final to be played and we need you for our BBC coverage!

Tim: Final? Eh? Oh, no, no. I've been fired, Sue. I've being dumped out. The bosses have said that I'm just not good enough and Cliff Richard will be starring in the commentary booth for the final. This is my routine anyway. Semi-finals is as far as I go, Sue. You know that.

Sue: But your fans will be devastated!

Tim: They're well used to it by now, Sue. I'm sure they'll understand.

Sue: Don't go down without a fight, Tim!

Tim: Nah, nah; let the papers call me a loser and a bottler who can't hack it at the highest level of television commentary. I don't care anymore.

Sue: Tim, I'll have a word with the head honcho of the BBC.

Tim: No, Sue. I don't want to be here on final day. It'll feel awkward and weird. I should have known that I had no chance of reaching the final. It's best that I just go home and cry into a cup of hot cocoa like I've been doing at this stage of the competition for the last 12 years. You don't need to worry about me; I'll be back next year raring to give it another futile effort. Until then, it's so long.

Tim takes up his bag and walks, head down, towardz ze exit of ze BBC studio, stopping only momentarily, for one last wave to ze cameramen.

Sue: Come on Tim!

Tim: You have no idea how sick I am of hearing that, do you? Leave me alone bitch!

Tim drops hiz bag, startz to cry and runz away.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts