Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from BBC Sport, today:

Tim Henman has revealed he has asked for a late start to his US Open campaign because of injury.

The British number one has just overcome a stomach muscle problem but he has now been hit by the recurrence of a chronic back injury.

"My back has stiffened up over the last few days which is frustrating," said Henman, who faces Spain's Fernando Verdasco on Tuesday.

"I think my body compensated for the stomach injury, making my back stiff."

Henman has two degenerative discs in his back which cause it to stiffen up without warning, a problem he has struggled with for over a year.

"I haven't been able to practice as much as I would have wanted, but at least I know what the problem is and how to go about treating it," continued Henman on his personal website.

"It's not the best way to prepare but I have to simply try and take the positives out of the situation and try and deal with it the best I can.

"Hopefully by the time my first round match rolls around it'll be a bit better and I'll be able to focus solely on winning."

Henman has won just one match since going out of Wimbledon in the second round and will lose ranking points if he fails to match his performance in reaching the US Open semi-finals last year.

·
Registered
91 Posts
didn't he have a bad back last year, and at one point wasn't sure that he would even play? i seem to remember he really struggled against karlovic last year in the first round.

·
Registered
24,581 Posts
go away henman :rolleyes:

Reactions: PinkFeatherBoa

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Scarlett said:
didn't he have a bad back last year, and at one point wasn't sure that he would even play? i seem to remember he really struggled against karlovic last year in the first round.

then got to the semi's

what's your point? you think he is trying to do everything the same way as last year so he makes another semi final? lol

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
sorry Tim but Verdasco will kick your ass with or without injury ;)

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
poor timmay, hope he gets better :]

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In 2002, Sampras turned 31 around the same time as the US Open, had Paul Annacone as coach and was struggling all year for results like Tim is today...he then served his way to the US Open...wouldn't it be good to see Tim doing the same thing

·
Premium Member
62,990 Posts
Alvarillo said:
sorry Tim but Verdasco will kick your ass with or without injury ;)
ooooooh yeah! :worship:

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
In 2002, Sampras turned 31 around the same time as the US Open, had Paul Annacone as coach and was struggling all year for results like Tim is today...he then served his way to the US Open...wouldn't it be good to see Tim doing the same thing
It would be fun to see, but it will not happen. Sampras was Sampras. Henman is...well, Henman.

·
Registered
24,581 Posts
adee-gee said:
A bit harsh, but I'm inclined to agree :p
see you know it makes sense ;)

·
Registered
24,581 Posts
In_Disguise said:
Erm...:scratch: NO :p

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
That is such bad luck poor guy! hopefully he'll be able to play again before the year is over :sad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts