Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi :wavey:
I'm always looking for something good to read, only problem is i don't have a particular author i just love or even really a particular type of book, although i read mostly fiction and that's what i'm looking for right now. I'm usually the person that wanders around the bookstore for ages or spends ages searching every corner of amazon.com trying to find something, anything that catches my fancy. sadly once i've finally picked something out i usually end up disappointed once i've read it. please help put me out of misery by suggesting some good books that you like. thanks! :)

·
F***ing have it
17,564 Posts
Brokeback Mountain :yeah:

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
I've given up reading novels recently, I'm hooked on autobiographies and biographies, mainly sportsmen/women at the moment. Jonny Mac's autobiography was a great read.

·
Banned
19,258 Posts
I hate reading:fiery:

·
Banned
8,651 Posts
adee-gee said:
I've given up reading novels recently, I'm hooked on autobiographies and biographies, mainly sportsmen/women at the moment. Jonny Mac's autobiography was a great read.
Same here, i dont read novels :D :p I really enjoy hard autobiographies though (prision autobiographies are my favourite, i have quite a few of those). I also like reading boxing autobiographies. I like the true stories :D :yeah:

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
theo's odyssey by catherine clement

theo's a 14-year-old boy who's interested in ancient and cultural history, as well as mystic stuff. he's really sick and his aunt wants to show him the world before he dies so they head for a journey. rather than a generic tour of the world's greatest sights, theo's aunt takes him on a pilgrimage to learn about the world's greatest religions--from sufism to islam to taoism to the southern baptist denomination of protestantism. it's an informative and deeply touching journey as theo begins to understand others' relationships with god, as well as his own. beneath the surface, this is a spiritual love story, one in which the love of family, a girlfriend, and god sustains and heals a dying boy.

it also covers the history of the major religions. very similar to "sophie's world" by jostein gaarder, which is on the philosophic history :)

i loved both books and though they're written for teenagers we can learn a lot.

two of my all-time fav novels are "momo" as well as "neverending story" by michael ende, but you probably know them already :)

Reactions: nermo

·
F***ing have it
17,564 Posts

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
another great one :worship: is jeanette winterson's "written on the body"

it's about love and loss, illness and disease, beautiful and rotten bodies... you can't tell if the narrator's male or female, so you can't tell if that person is describing a heterosexual or homosexual love affair... very challenging to read i think :)

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
joeb_uk said:
Same here, i dont read novels :D :p I really enjoy hard autobiographies though (prision autobiographies are my favourite, i have quite a few of those). I also like reading boxing autobiographies. I like the true stories :D :yeah:
I read a biography on Muhammed Ali a couple of weeks ago. Extremely interesting. I'd love to read an autobiography but I don't really think its possible :sad: I'd also love to read Tiger Woods' autobiography when it hopefully comes out one day.

·
Banned
34,169 Posts
adee-gee said:
I read a biography on Muhammed Ali a couple of weeks ago. Extremely interesting. I'd love to read an autobiography but I don't really think its possible :sad: I'd also love to read Tiger Woods' autobiography when it hopefully comes out one day.
The Greatest: My Own Story - by Muhammad Ali

go get it ;)

·
Banned
8,651 Posts
its.like.that said:
The Greatest: My Own Story - by Muhammad Ali

go get it ;)
I have to read a sugar ray robinson biography soon! I did look at a few ali biographies online, i will probably buy a few actually sometime. I tried to order joe louis, and joe frazier autobiographies on amazon (but waited 2 months for them to tell me they couldnt get them :mad: ).

·
Banned
34,169 Posts
joeb_uk said:
I have to read a sugar ray robinson biography soon! I did look at a few ali biographies online, i will probably buy a few actually sometime. I tried to order joe louis, and joe frazier autobiographies on amazon (but waited 2 months for them to tell me they couldnt get them :mad: ).
as irony has it, I was given the Kostya Tszyu auto-biography the other day.

:)

as for louis and frazier, sorry champ, don't know where you'll be able to find them.

·
Registered
65,539 Posts
The last novel I read was called "PS: I love you" by Cecilia Ahern. It was very touchy. I liked it a lot although I'm not really into romantic novels.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Boudica ; Dreaming the Eagle
Dreaming the Bull
Dreaming the Hound

by Manda Scott

the 4th in the series is due out February 2006 ( can't wait :) )

Not the sort of book I normally go for but I love them :)

·
RAVE ON
18,877 Posts
adee-gee said:
If you mean ''You Can't be Serious'', that was one of the worst books ever. Only a simpleton could have enjoyed it.

·
RAVE ON
18,877 Posts
The Shadow of the Wind

You can't miss it, it's No 1 everywhere.

·
RAVE ON
18,877 Posts
joeb_uk said:
(prision autobiographies are my favourite, i have quite a few of those)
Someday soon you'll be able to write your own.

·
Registered
10,453 Posts
Angels & Demons - Dan Brown

1 - 20 of 67 Posts