Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool: Hello fellow tennis enthusiasts!
I have just joined this forum having been introduced to it through www.britishtenniszone.net
I look forward to contributing to the debate .... particularly when it comes to the relative merits of the British players.
Finally, I love arguing with tennis fans out there on the following subjects ...
- single v double handed backhand
- inside out forehand, so why not inside out backhand?
Always happy to hear your thoughts.
Let discussion begin!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome, I'm new here also. I think i was looking up a string gauge or tension of some sort of a pro player (i enjoy those types of details) I was using yahoo search engine and it routed me here, now I can ask my own questions and rant and rave.
so, i enjoy a good two handed/ one handed backhand discussion every now-and-then also.. i often use both methods, strange enough, and i can pull it off. for me its hard to hit a high one hander, so if necessary i will use a two hander. its as enjoyable to do as it is to watch the look on the guys face im playing against. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Tommy!!
Mixing up those backhands - impressive!!
To me there is nothing classier than a one-hander - Federer, Guga, Justine, Henman, Gaudio ..... but I probably feel deep down that a 2-hander is more solid. However, how many 2-handers have an option on serve-volley? It's a struggle to name one - Bjorkman maybe??
Finally, regarding those string guages etc, I'm interested in your findings? Are most of them still using Big Banger or are they mixing BB with a different string. If so, is BB in the mains or cross? Also, what tension are they stringing at these days? Who is the tightest, who uses the banjo??
........ and don't worry, I won't forget the old guys!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree, a one handed back hand is just classy and impressive looking, thats why i decided i would give it a try. but i then found out i could find some good angles on shots. for me, ive been playing a few years, i'll always know in the back of my mind that a 2 handed is more stable and come time to get down to business in a match i will stick mostly with my two hand, saving my one hand for more sure thing shots.

as for strings and gauges it varies quite a bit. there are alot of luxilon whether big banger or a rough textured luxilon. ive heard of people using babolat natural gut mains and a synthetic cross. personally i have yet to get that carried away. what got me into looking at strings and tensions was the fact i started snapping strings like i was using twine. so i've been on a hunt for a long lasting string, and i started looking at pros equipment just out of curiosity.

http://www.grandslamstringers.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=stringsstringing;action=display;num=1091745949

others ive heard: roddick 65lbs, mcenroe 42lbs, nadal 53lbs, rusedski 51

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
Welcome :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts