Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With Del Potro out due to wrist problems, Haas having shoulder problems, Almagro probably had the same too I think, Djokovic has wrist problems, Nadal having back problems (again), Stan having a fever and twisted his ankle and Ferrer I think having an injury too, who do you think is currently the healthiest top player today? Wimbledon last year have been quite full of it and with unfit players this might become worse this year.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Re: Healthiest Top Player on Tour?

Nadal. We won't count the time he cut his right finger and his whole life was in danger, let alone his career no?

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Re: Healthiest Top Player on Tour?

Most of them have their aches and pains. It's professional sport.

But some players get their aches/pains/injuries advertised much more for different reasons and we are more aware of them. :shrug:

So it's very difficult to tell who is the healthiest or not.

I guess the only official way to tell is by retirements and withdrawals, and long absences.
But even there we sometimes don't know the real reasons.
There is occasionally some deceit involved for the "good of the sport".

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is just that the health woes have been so prevalent this year compared to last year -- makes it worse (or is it better?), is that they still manage to win matches quite comfortably (the very top though) even though their movement and such have been compromised.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
With Del Potro out due to wrist problems, Haas having shoulder problems, Almagro probably had the same too I think, Djokovic has wrist problems, Nadal having back problems (again), Stan having a fever and twisted his ankle and Ferrer I think having an injury too, who do you think is currently the healthiest top player today? Wimbledon last year have been quite full of it and with unfit players this might become worse.
Hah. I remember being there that Wednesday. Walking in, and already Isner and Stepanek were out by the time I was through the queue. By the time I finished watching Kuznetsov squander 361537288012556 break points against Troicki, I walked around center court and Azarenka had withdrawn. At that moment, I had lots of time on my hands, and wanted to see Federer play, so I made a deal with a few Taiwanese girls who wanted to see Lu play against Murray, and we agreed to take shifts in the extra tickets line. During my last shift, before me and the girls got the tickets we wanted, I was watching Gulbis/Tsonga on the big screen, and there went Jo, and then I got my tickets to the Federer/Stakhovsky match. Ran into Brad Gilbert and LZ Granderson en route to Centre, lent them my umbrella, so I had to follow them, and then, well, you know the rest. Still, one of the best days I've ever had.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Hah. I remember being there that Wednesday. Walking in, and already Isner and Stepanek were out by the time I was through the queue. By the time I finished watching Kuznetsov squander 361537288012556 break points against Troicki, I walked around center court and Azarenka had withdrawn. At that moment, I had lots of time on my hands, and wanted to see Federer play, so I made a deal with a few Taiwanese girls who wanted to see Lu play against Murray, and we agreed to take shifts in the extra tickets line. During my last shift, before me and the girls got the tickets we wanted, I was watching Gulbis/Tsonga on the big screen, and there went Jo, and then I got my tickets to the Federer/Stakhovsky match. Ran into Brad Gilbert and LZ Granderson en route to Centre, lent them my umbrella, so I had to follow them, and then, well, you know the rest. Still, one of the best days I've ever had.
I was at Wimbledon on the day of all the withdrawals as well and I was wondering what was happening. I actually logged onto MTF on my phone to find out why so many matches were being cancelled. It was crazy, I've never seen a day like it. :lol:

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good for you! :D Watching it on TV was crazy. You here Stepanek and Isner being out, then I think Azarenka, then Darcis. Around the courts I think the whole Court 1 and Center Court all had the seeds upsetted from what I remember (except I think for Murray) and I think it is notable for being the day were former #1 players from both tours were upsetted or didn't play. Sharapova, Federer, Ivanovic, Jankovic and Hewitt all got caught by the craziness of the day -- I read on some tennis threads jokingly that it was Tio Toni's evil plan on making the grass bad after Nadal got upsetted. :lol:

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Berdych in the top 10.
I would say yes, he seems to have "no problems" currently. That being said, he sure has something that happened to him when he withdrew from the Semifinals on Miami so he is not like he is full health this year. Raonic has struggled early in the season, and Gulbis had pulled something during RG. Nishikori, do I need to say more? Isner retired during his match on AO. Could we say Dimitrov -- I haven't heard of him having physical problems this year, really.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Federer has been ridiculously healthy throughout most of his career, bar some light mono and back issues. I can't even think of an athlete in any other sport who has been so physically blessed for that long. Berdych is indeed a good second in the top 10.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Good for you! :D Watching it on TV was crazy. You here Stepanek and Isner being out, then I think Azarenka, then Darcis. Around the courts I think the whole Court 1 and Center Court all had the seeds upsetted from what I remember (except I think for Murray) and I think it is notable for being the day were former #1 players from both tours were upsetted or didn't play. Sharapova, Federer, Ivanovic, Jankovic and Hewitt all got caught by the craziness of the day -- I read on some tennis threads jokingly that it was Tio Toni's evil plan on making the grass bad after Nadal got upsetted. :lol:
Haha thanks! Yeah, I can imagine. At the beginning, people were wondering what was going on, with Azarenka out. Isner, Darcis, and Stepanek? Out by lunchtime. Hewitt? Ousted by Brown by 1:00 PM. So much confusion as then Cilic withdrew quietly (for reasons we were soon to find out). Jankovic was the next casualty, followed soon by Ivanovic falling at Bouchard's hands. People were starting to accept that this was really happening, and the name Wacky Wednesday was going around soon. Then Tsonga fell (literally!), but at that point, the novelty was starting to wear off, and the expectation was that Sharapova and Federer were going to restore order, as the last two matches of the day. Of course, we all know what happened next, but when Sharapova lost to De Brito, it was when Federer and Stakhovsky were neck and neck, so people were wondering if...maybe...but then Fed took the first and everyone was relieved, looking forward to the Maestro sweeping aside Stako in the next two sets. And then the upset happened.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Federer looks pretty healthy right now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts