Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I watched the first three episodes last night and they were brutal. The whole series is constructed like a horror film and it feels like one except that then you remember it is based on actual events.

·
justice for all
13,164 Posts
I watched the first three episodes last night and they were brutal. The whole series is constructed like an horror film and it feels like one except that then you remember it is based on actual events.
I did. It's a great series. One of the best I've ever seen. Shocking stuff.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It's great, although it would be even better if they had Russian and Ukrainian actors with original language.

Sometimes awkward to hear sentences like "Vladimir, pass me that bottle of vodka" or similar in Oxford English.

There are some great Ukr or Rus actors and they would made it even more real and they would play the mentality better and would have deeper insight to the Chernobyl case for sure.

Besides that - I am on the edge of my seat during each minute of the series, it's great to watch, surely best series of 2019.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's great, although it would be even better if they had Russian and Ukrainian actors with original language.

Sometimes awkward to hear sentences like "Vladimir, pass me that bottle of vodka" or similar in Oxford English.

There are some great Ukr or Rus actors and they would made it even more real and they would play the mentality better and would have deeper insight to the Chernobyl case for sure.

Besides that - I am on the edge of my seat during each minute of the series, it's great to watch, surely best series of 2019.
Yeah, I hear you. The thing is, native English speakers aren't used to reading subtitles and producers are afraid that the success of the series might be hindered if it's not in English.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
hmm... this sounds interesting. I love stuff that are based on real life events/people. Might check it out. Thanks OP.

·
Registered
21,402 Posts

This annoyed me as well :lol:. It takes you out of the story a bit.

Anyway, it's a decent watch, but not anywhere near as good and groundbreaking as the hype makes you believe it is. So HBO's marketing department did a good job on this.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fourth episode was a bit dissapointing to be honest. I mean it wasn't bad, but the first three were so much better.

It just didn't have the same impact which I suppose was expected considering that at this point the series is dealing with the consequences of the disaster rather than the disaster itself. I also felt the producers tried a bit too hard to make a criticism of the Soviet Union's conceal of information and propaganda machinery.

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts
Fourth episode was a bit dissapointing to be honest. I mean it wasn't bad, but the first three were so much better.

It just didn't have the same impact which I suppose was expected considering that at this point the series is dealing with the consequences of the disaster rather than the disaster itself. I also felt the producers tried a bit too hard to make a criticism of the Soviet Union's conceal of information and propaganda machinery.
Well, that played a big part in the treatment of the disaster.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that played a big part in the treatment of the disaster.
Indeed, but it's being characterized in a very blunt and sometimes obvious manner in the series as a way to build a narrative. I feel they could have delivered the message with a little subtlety.

I am also disliking the way in which Legasov is being portrayed. Almost like a defiant Hollywood hero when in all of reality he had his own flaws and was effectively under the pressure of the Soviet establishment.

For a series that seems to revolve about the importance of truth they could have tried to do a better job at portraying what really happened.

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts
Indeed, but it's being characterized in a very blunt and sometimes obvious manner in the series as a way to build a narrative. I feel they could have delivered the message with a little subtlety.

I am also disliking the way in which Legasov is being portrayed. Almost like a defiant Hollywood hero when in all of reality he had his own flaws and was effectively under the pressure of the Soviet establishment.

For a series that seems to revolve about the importance of truth they could have tried to do a better job at portraying what really happened.
I haven't made it that far yet but I imagine these are the small concessions that come with any work of drama, particularly from the occident.

That said, it could've been much, much worse. (flashbacks to the horror that was the Trotsky Netflix series)

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Great stuff, really enjoying it. The fact they are all english AF is a bit mad but not a big deal. Pity its such a short series

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
They had their say......

The decision not to use Russian accents was a big one that we made early on. We had an initial thought that we didn't want to do the 'Boris and Natasha' cliched accent because the Russian accent can turn comic very easily. At first, we thought that maybe we would have people do these sort of vaguely Eastern European accents - not really strong but noticeable.

"What we found very quickly is that actors will act accents. They will not act, they will act accents and we were losing everything about these people that we loved. Honestly, I think after maybe one or two auditions we said 'Ok, new rule. We're not doing that anymore," said*Mazin.

Of course, cinephiles will be able to count hundreds of examples when bad accents ruined a TV show or film, but Mazin said that the dialect in Chernobyl was influenced by another HBO film.

"I remembered this old HBO movie called Citizen X with Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland - it's a true story about a serial killer in Soviet Ukraine. I recall there being accents from all over the place in the film. There were South African, English, American accents - some people were sort of trying, others weren't - and then Max Von Sydow appears and he speaks like his usual self, with his Swedish accent. And do you know what? It all works perfectly because they're not speaking Russian.

"I get the reasons why but this means that there can be no American accents because I think for an American audience, the one thing that will pull you out is an American accent because that sounds silly but beyond that, I think we just ask people to take the edge off (their natural accent)."

Mazin also cited Game of Thrones as an influence on his decision to use the natural accents of his cast.

"For example, in Game of Thrones, anyone from Manchester will be asked to push that a bit so they can clearly be defined as Northeners. We would say 'take the edge off of it' a bit here and there, we'd let someone be Irish or Scottish because they sounded great and there character was good. Also, we're hearing people as they would have heard themselves.

"There's no consciousness there. My hope is that the accent thing just fades away in seconds and you stop caring about it. Ultimately, a person's accent is completely irrelevant to what's going on because there are things happening that don't even need an accent to be communicated - panic, fear, excitement, worry, sadness. They're just emotions," he said.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Faking accents would've been beyond silly. Either you do it entirely in Russian with Russian-speaking actors or you don't.

Accents are not that important anyhow. I remember how in Netflix's "Narcos" a lot of Colombians were complaining because Pablo Escobar's part was done by a Brazilian who didn't have a paisa accent. However, I found this to be a detail that probably only Colombians care about.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't made it that far yet but I imagine these are the small concessions that come with any work of drama, particularly from the occident.

That said, it could've been much, much worse. (flashbacks to the horror that was the Trotsky Netflix series)
Yeah, there are. The concessions that bother me are the ones that try to make the series more pallatable for a Western audience, such as having a tragic hero figure (represented by Legasov) and an overtly obvious critic of the Soviet Union (I feel like they try to hard to shovel it to the viewers).

But don't get me wrong, it's still a great series, especially the first three episodes.

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
cant wait to watch

1 - 20 of 32 Posts