Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone watch the women's final on Eurosport? One of the commentators mentioned that Hawkeye would be trialled at the French, yet I can't find anything about this while googling. Anyone got info on this or did I simply mishear?

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
How would that work? As I understand, Hawkeye on clay would require re-calibration from match to match, for every single court. And that's for very, very little benefit.

Unless, of course, your commentator was conflating Foxtenn's tech with HE. I don't know how well Foxtenn works on clay, though.

Edit: Foxtenn's tech is called In&Out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would that work? As I understand, Hawkeye on clay would require re-calibration from match to match, for every single court. And that's for very, very little benefit.

Unless, of course, your commentator was conflating Foxtenn's tech with HE. I don't know how well Foxtenn works on clay, though.

Edit: Foxtenn's tech is called In&Out.
Yeah, it looks like it might be foxtenn and not Hawkeye. Haven't seen it being said about RG but ATP is trialling foxtenn at Rio in a couple of weeks.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
It’s about damn time, too many wrong calls from blind umpires are being made and it jsut doesn’t make sense to not have Hawkeye on one surface yet have it on the others.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
About f***ing time. I am sick of their backward "tradition". Keep traditon at being silent between points, try to make everything else better. There isn't a seruous tournament in the world so much hampered by environmental issues. We had Fedal SF ruined with the wind. At least this just line calling and not acting Sherlock Holmes over a line mark, trying to distinguish rhe deciding millimetres...

Umpire: Mr Roland Garros has many challenges remaining...to handle...

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
Well, clay is a malleable surface but if recalibrating works, then there's no reason not to pursue this.

Although it would be better to just have real-time electronic line calling (like in NextGen finals) and not a system where you make a challenge after the fact. We've seen enough matches ruined by shitty line judges.

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Well, clay is a malleable surface but if recalibrating works, then there's no reason not to pursue this.

Although it would be better to just have real-time electronic line calling (like in NextGen finals) and not a system where you make a challenge after the fact. We've seen enough matches ruined by shitty line judges.
Foxtenn doesn't need recalibration, because it captures the impact on the ground through ground-level cameras. It has basically a zero-margin error, unlike Hawkeye which uses math calculations to approximate the area of impact.

Admittedly, I don't exactly know why HE needs recalibration. Maybe it also collects court data by recording the court state in some way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts