Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to these stats, the linesmen are right 60% of the time. It's interesting that it says 6% of challenges are for balls that are more than 10cm out...every now and then someone tries it just to upset the opposition? I have to say I haven't seen a good Mac-style tantrum for awhile...they seem to take it out on the ballboys now!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article3753533.ece

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Good read. That list of Johnny Mac's tantrums at the end of the article is priceless.
Guess we'll never see that again...

Oh wait. Now we have players ranting against the umpire about the system, of course. Roger's bout of hysteria ("Turn it off, it's KILLING me!") at the Wimbly 2007 final comes to mind of course... :lol:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And Andy Murray's priceless "you're giving me nothing" rant at his coach. Pretty soon they'll have to starting ranting at random members of the crowd.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Good read. That list of Johnny Mac's tantrums at the end of the article is priceless.
Guess we'll never see that again...

Oh wait. Now we have players ranting against the umpire about the system, of course. Roger's bout of hysteria ("Turn it off, it's KILLING me!") at the Wimbly 2007 final comes to mind of course... :lol:
And Roger is the one that drag down the players percentage :lol: :p

One thing that the stat does not reflect is usually approaching the end of a set, players are more than likely to challenge a line call even the odds are very low since they will lose the challenge anyway.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
And Roger is the one that drag down the players percentage :lol: :p
Absolutely. Oh man, he's so terrible at challenging... whenever he makes a call I suddenly feel the need to run to the bathroom very quickly and/or through beer bottles at the telly. :lol:
I wonder how those players' percentages would look if they left him out?

One thing that the stat does not reflect is usually approaching the end of a set, players are more than likely to challenge a line call even the odds are very low since they will lose the challenge anyway.
Yes - and obvious choice by the players, but it does affect those percentages in a negative way. I guess that factor is near to impossible to take into account - would be a nice job to do for a Ph.D. in mathematical statistics.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's quantitative rather than qualitative analysis. The stats would be closer to 50/50 if you took out all of those challenges that players made just to use up their remaining challenges. Still, it's a big vote of confidence for the system AND the linesfolk.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Yeah, it's quantitative rather than qualitative analysis. The stats would be closer to 50/50 if you took out all of those challenges that players made just to use up their remaining challenges. Still, it's a big vote of confidence for the system AND the linesfolk.
I actually think the players would have a better percentage than linesmen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts