Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you often go watch tennis live and have you seen your favorite player? What tournament is closest to where you live? Share your experiences.

I'm in Montreal so I'm lucky to have a Masters 1000 right there. Ironically, I've seen Djokovic play twice both in 2011, in the quarters against Monfils and in the final against Fish, but never Nadal or Federer although I've seen them practice quickly (so many people around!!!). I've also seen matches featuring Wawrinka and also Berdych from that same year. In 2011 both Nadal and Federer lost early and I had tickets for the QF and Final, it was a little disappointing. This year I plan to watch Nadal, I will buy a ticket only when the order of play is released. Too bad it looks like it's going to rain the next few days.

I've been also in 1996 (Seles), 1998 (S.Vicario, Testud, etc.) and 2010 (Schiavone, Kuznetsova, etc.). Again bought the tickets before the order of play were released. Seeing Monica Seles was special, it was an early round but I'm a fan.

Do you feel a difference between watching tennis live vs on TV? Is it worth the money or hassle for you?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Finally a decent post from you. :worship:
I've never seen Federer so far, as I only go to Marseille's tournament (2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014). I saw Tsonga, my 2nd favorite player, 4 times there though. :yeah:

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
I never saw Nadal :sad: :mad:
Vienna is the tournament I visit regularly, I also was in Kitzbühel a few times (beautiful region :yeah:)
Nadal was scheduled to play Vienna in 2005 but he never arrived :sad:

But I saw Djokovic in 2007, when he was still an offensive baseliner :)

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Yes I did. In Indian Wells 3 times.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes. I saw Carlos Moya at the 2005 French Open in round 1. Also seen Monfils, Coria, Berdych, Cilic and Kyrgios live. Sadly never got to see Safin, and it's unlikely I'll see Hewitt now. Still holding out hope I can one day see Del Potro live.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I've seen McEnroe at the 1984 Wimbledon final. Sampras at the 1999 Wimbledon Final. And Nadal at the 2007 Wimbledon Final. And Nadal at the 2010 Wimbledon Final. All memorable events...

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Yeah, watched Murray a good few times.

Watched Nadal twice but not Olderer unfortunately. Had the chance to watch Djokovic also but I refused a free ticket.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I've seen Berdych, Ferrer and Djokovic at Wimbledon last year. That was the only year I went. I live just outside Eastbourne so I've been to the event their a number of times. Unfortunately Delpo didn't play but I didn't expect him to go as Eastbourne was only a small 250. I have managed to see Tomic, Roddick, Nishikori and Dimitrov (before he turned into a diva).

Would love to go to the World Tour finals one day before it changes location and Queens too.

Edit: I also saw Thiem play at Wimbledon last year. Got beaten by Saville but it was great to see him play.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I've seen Berdych, Ferrer and Djokovic at Wimbledon last year. That was the only year I went. I live just outside Eastbourne so I've been to the event their a number of times. Unfortunately Delpo didn't play but I didn't expect him to go as Eastbourne was only a small 250. I have managed to see Tomic, Roddick, Nishikori and Dimitrov (before he turned into a diva).
As you live near Eastbourne, I assume you are over 65?

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Do you often go watch tennis live and have you seen your favorite player? What tournament is closest to where you live? Share your experiences.
I'm going to several tournaments a year since 2007.
Nearest tournament to me is Halle (about 90 km away from here) and Hamburg (about 190 km from here).
Closest tournament was Hannover (about 40 km) but unfortunately I didn't went to tournaments when the TMC was held there.

The player I saw most often was Roger (what a surprise I know :angel: ) - here is a list of the matches which I saw of him

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=210661

(I haven't added the ones from Halle from this year yet though)

I also saw a lot of matches from my other favorite players, also Rafa, Novak and Andy.

Do you feel a difference between watching tennis live vs on TV? Is it worth the money or hassle for you?
You can't compare watching tennis live between watching on TV or Internet.
It's totally different.

I think it's worth to invest some money for good tickets but that's probably easier at the smaller tournaments.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I saw del Potro practice at the US Open in 2013. Ferrer practiced 2 feet away from me as well. Also went to a Li Na match there, saw Feliciano Lopez play doubles, was bored to tears by Federer, cheered for Janowicz's Argentine opponent, and about 10 other matches. I'm in Canada now but can't go to the tournament...

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Sadly i never got to watch Karlovic live but i did see Soderling live twice at the FO, 1st time in 2005 i wasn't really a fan but got hooked up straight away and was the only fan cheering for him in the 5th against Verdasco. In 2008 his performance against Monaco was so impressive i got into a discussion with a neutral fan and agreed this level wouldn't be too far away from winning him the title. A year later, he was in the final.

I did see Karlovic during training in 2008 but this doesn't really count in my books.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Yes, I saw Novak d. Gasquet in the Final at Toronto 2012. The match was over in 52 minutes. I couldn't even get a beer because I would miss half the set, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was there for Raonic's fist Atp match where he had match points on gonzalez. Crazy match

and was there when pospisil/Raonic teamed up to beat djoko/nadal

1 - 20 of 51 Posts