Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never felt this conflicted emotions-wise after seeing my fave player win a slam but today it happened and it sucks BIG time. I don't know exactly how to feel since I love both Nole and Delpo (Admittedly a bit bigger of a Nole fan). So I'm happy and sad at the same time it's so damn weird feeling. As weird as it may sounds, part of me even wished Nadal was in the final instead of Delpo because I hate seeing peaking Nole beat him in a big match like this one. And if Delpo won, I would feel gutted for Novak. It's kinda like lose-lose situation which sucks.

Anyhow, I'm still proud of Delpo nonetheless. He did everything he could. Just unfortunate with the opponent in his 2nd slam final.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Same here. I almost started crying with DelPo. Then I remembered DelPo beating Djokovic at Olympics and Nole crying. Darn it... It's a tough sport. DelPo is such a gracious guy, plays beautiful / brave tennis and maybe slightly overachieves for his height... Speaks so softly and generously about himself and his opponents. It is impossible not to like the guy. He is my second favorite player after Nole. I honestly hope he wins a slam next year, I wouldn't mind if he beats Djokovic in the final of any slam except RG.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Seeing Delpo cry was really difficult - it shows how much he wanted to win and how much it would have meant to him and to all the people that helped him through the injury process

·
Registered
690 Posts
I respect the work all these athletes put in. I have players whose style I like better than others, so I also have preferences, but most of the time I feel for the player who does not win the championships, especially when that player is excellent and didn't win a bunch of them since, well, you know what I mean. ;) I guess I just don't feel that torn because ultimately, it is not in my hands and I can only accept whatever the result is.

There are posters on the Internet (not just here, but everywhere) who I really wish would take a moment and think of how many hours the athlete they are speaking of, or to, has worked so hard, day after day, year after year. This is grueling and unless a player turns out to be completely disrespectful, has a horrible attitude or displays little sportsmanship, I can't really not feel for them to an extent.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
In few last days posters who repeatedly wrote how Delpo deserves to win because of his injuries really irked me. Players deserve to win if they play better than their opponents, and that's it. Delpo was fortunate both with his draw and that he got to play tired/injured Nadal. I don't think he would win if Nadal was ready to grind 5 sets. Yet, in the end of this final I felt gutted for him. I really hope he and Novak stay clear of each other in draws as much as possible. Nole played Nishikori much more aggressive than his dear friend today against whom he lacked killer instinct to finish him off.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I can't say I'm a huge Del Potro fan, but there is no reason not to like him. When he beat Federer in 2009 I was just so gutted that I guess I couldn't forgive him and have held a grudge ever since. However, I am sad that he lost today. That long game in the 2nd set where he couldn't break Djokovic was a turning point - I really wanted him to break and level the match. But that's tennis.

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
I felt and still feel really bad for Roddick after he lost the Wimbledon final in 2009. To this day, I'm still unable to watch the highlights of that match, because my heart bleeds for Roddick. And the thing is that I'm not even a Roddick fan but I can admit that he deserved to win at least one Wimbledon, but sadly it wasn't to be.

I also felt really bad for Murray at Wimbledon 2012, when he cried during the ceremony. Even though I'm not a fan of his, I'm glad that he was able to win three slams, including two Wimbledons.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Massive Novak fan as you are all aware by now. But I couldn't celebrate and will not. I'm not in the mood.

In fact this is the saddest I've felt after a slam. Seeing Del Po so distraught is really sad for me.

·
justice for all
13,107 Posts
I never felt this conflicted emotions-wise after seeing my fave player win a slam but today it happened and it sucks BIG time. I don't know exactly how to feel since I love both Nole and Delpo (Admittedly a bit bigger of a Nole fan). So I'm happy and sad at the same time it's so damn weird feeling. As weird as it may sounds, part of me even wished Nadal was in the final instead of Delpo because I hate seeing peaking Nole beat him in a big match like this one. And if Delpo won, I would feel gutted for Novak. It's kinda like lose-lose situation which sucks.

Anyhow, I'm still proud of Delpo nonetheless. He did everything he could. Just unfortunate with the opponent in his 2nd slam final.
I'm sure you can live with it. You don't want to know how Fed fans felt after USO 2009.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Not exactly the same scenario, but I was happy that Murray beat Federer in the Olympic final. I don't really rate tennis in the Olympics anyway, and it was a weird time in Britain. People in London were actually nice and friendly to one another! A strange mania had taken over the nation! So I thought I should get into the spirit of things and support the Brit that day. I like Murray anyway, and he'd had to endure a very tough loss in the Wimbledon final when leading. If he'd lost the Olympic final then he may never have won a Grand Slam title.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm glad that Novak won but you have to feel for whoever would have lost this one. On one hand, Novak with his absolutely horrendous US Open finals record and having just battled his way back from his injury/slump and, on the other hand, Del Potro with his first grand slam final in 9 years after a series of debilitating injuries. One thing was clear, whoever lost this final would not forget it for a long time to come. If they were both 5 years younger, then it would have been easier for the loser to come to terms with the loss. Again, I'm glad that Novak won and this is the result I had hoped for but at the same time you have to feel a bit for Del Potro. On a side note, even though they are best friends off court, they've now both delivered crushing blows to each other on the court: Del Potro crushing Djokovic's 2016 Olympic dream in Rio and Djokovic crushing Del Potro's fairy tale comeback at the 2018 US Open...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts