Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that Novak's family has drawn a lot of ire, especially his father's behavior in the stands and his mother's comments in pressers. However, this post has to do with the question of, how much of the current hatred towards Novak is derived from truly objective reasons and how much has to do with the challenge to Roger? When Marat Safin defeated Roger in the AO, was there this degree of dislike of him, or was it very different? Similarly, when Rafael established himself as a contender with Roger, was there a barrage of insults about Rafael, or was this also different?

I'm just trying to clarify to what degree the overwhelming hostility against Novak is due to his family's admittedly disgraceful behavior, and what part is due to his challenge to Roger/Rafael.

Reactions: guga2120

·
#freeviktor
93,847 Posts
I understand that Novak's family has drawn a lot of ire, especially his father's behavior in the stands and his mother's comments in pressers. However, this post has to do with the question of, how much of the current hatred towards Novak is derived from truly objective reasons and how much has to do with the challenge to Roger? When Marat Safin defeated Roger in the AO, was there this degree of dislike of him, or was it very different? Similarly, when Rafael established himself as a contender with Roger, was there a barrage of insults about Rafael, or was this also different?

I'm just trying to clarify to what degree the overwhelming hostility against Novak is due to his family's admittedly disgraceful behavior, and what part is due to his challenge to Roger/Rafael.

Nah there wasn't the same hatred. Especially not with Marat because he was a champion before Roger even was.. you know? So it's not like he was really a challenger.. plus on MTF, Marat can never do any wrong :D

I think a lot of the hate is his behavior/his parents behavior. He's had haters on here since the Monfils match in 2005.

Rafa and Roger have a mutual respect for each other that neither has with Novak also.. so that contributes to it too.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
Safin isn't hated at all here. He is loved :lol:

There was a most definite turn around in the forum's general feeling for Rafa after he won RG in '05 and the 2006 clay season really compounded it.

Rafa and Roddick draw the most hatred, and Nole is coming up fast behind.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Nah there wasn't the same hatred. Especially not with Marat because he was a champion before Roger even was.. you know? So it's not like he was really a challenger.. plus on MTF, Marat can never do any wrong :D

I think a lot of the hate is his behavior/his parents behavior. He's had haters on here since the Monfils match in 2005.

Rafa and Roger have a mutual respect for each other that neither has with Novak also.. so that contributes to it too.
Safin is not a prick Like Djokovic ,that is the reason why he was not very much hated

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I don't think Safin was hated when he won AO. A lot of MTFers were happy for him. Nadal did receive a lot heat for beating Roger and for his unorthodox game style. Djokovic is hated because of his family and his antics plain and simple. If he beat Roger but wasn't arrogant and his family was cool then I would be meh.

·
#freeviktor
93,847 Posts
Safin is not a prick Like Djokovic ,that is the reason why he was not very much hated
That's certainly debatable. I haven't seen Novak break a chair yet during a match :D

But that sort of thing is excused when it's Marat :rolls:

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
That's certainly debatable. I haven't seen Novak break a chair yet during a match :D
Spitting at the crowd, excessive ball bouncing, whining, big mouth mother...

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Safin isn't hated at all here. He is loved :lol:

There was a most definite turn around in the forum's general feeling for Rafa after he won RG in '05 and the 2006 clay season really compounded it.

Rafa and Roddick draw the most hatred, and Nole is coming up fast behind.
Yeah, see... there's three in the mix. ;)

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts

Not the same toward Marat. The same when Rafael challenged Roger.

"admittedly disgraceful"?? Who admitted it? :lol:

But anyway, this just appears to be an outlet for people to justify their dislike of Djokovic. Have fun -- or I guess a lot of people already did. :)

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
To be fair, Roddick might act like an asshole sometimes but his family was never involved like Djoko is. When he won the USO, his mother did not say ''Hail the new king. He will win infinity slams.''

·
#freeviktor
93,847 Posts
I said originally I thought the hatred was brought on by his actions and his parents actions.

I'm just saying the unpopular opinion on MTF that I don't think Safin is exactly an :angel: either, that's all. :) I'm certainly not trying to say that Novak IS.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I said originally I thought the hatred was brought on by his actions and his parents actions.

I'm just saying the unpopular opinion on MTF that I don't think Safin is exactly an :angel: either, that's all. :) I'm certainly not trying to say that Novak IS.
Nobody thinks Safin's an angel. That's one of the reasons people love him the way they do.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts

The main rule on MTF is the more successful you are the more hate you get. But a player who is successful also attracts much more people who write about him and feel the need to defend him.

MTF always collapses when Roger loses a match or Rafa gets a beatdown.

I'm pretty sure everything will calm down in a few days. No need to worry.

·
Registered
948 Posts
He was not spitting at the crowd. The curse he said made it look that way, I assure you.:angel:

·
#freeviktor
93,847 Posts
Nobody thinks Safin's an angel. That's one of the reasons people love him the way they do.
:rolls: When I saw the match at Hamburg against Ferrero in 2005, it ruined him for me :lol: But to each their own :D

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
Yeah, see... there's three in the mix. ;)
:lol:

There certainly is. I might have to get off the Nole-hate train. It's getting too nasty. When everyone loved Novak (immediately following his defeat of Rafa at Montreal - fairly short lived :lol:) it was more fun being a dissenting voice.

Also having read so much about his parents recently, I'm starting to see why he behaves in the way that I don't appreciate. :sad:

A serious question for Nole fans - why do his parents speak to the media so much and why don't his press people "control" it more? He has the same press agent as Rafa and, as a fan, I can say that little comes from his camp that doesn't read as if it has been Benito'd.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts

There certainly is. I might have to get off the Nole-hate train. It's getting too nasty. When everyone loved Novak (immediately following his defeat of Rafa at Montreal - fairly short lived :lol:) it was more fun being a dissenting voice.

Also having read so much about his parents recently, I'm starting to see why he behaves in the way that I don't appreciate. :sad:

A serious question for Nole fans - why do his parents speak to the media so much and why don't his press people "control" it more? He has the same press agent as Rafa and, as a fan, I can say that little comes from his camp that doesn't read as if it has been Benito'd.
His parents live through him because they could never make it as professional tennis players. When he won the AO, they grab the trophy and went, ''Look we won! We beat Tsonga! We all played a four setter!''

·
#freeviktor
93,847 Posts
I wish I knew. From what I hear, it seems his dad in particular is kind of trying to get more self-important by using Novak's celebrity. They welcome it because they are trying to steal a bit of his fame for themselves, is how I see it anyway. He seems to think everything the Serbian Tennis Federation does should be discussed with him first:

http://www.blic.co.yu/sports.php?id=1313

I think it's funny he says he won't let anyone steal Novak's thunder. He's doing it himself :shrug: He's apparently also made threats that he won't let Novak play Davis Cup if this situation/drama is not resolved, according to what I've heard from some Serbian friends of mine (but that is not in this article).

I wish his management would control it more. I really do. *sigh*

·
Stefan 2034
929 Posts

Nole and Rafa are very close to their families, but they have two very very different kinds of family.

Rafa's family is very quiet and just enjoy seeing their son do well.
Nole's family, on the other hand, has been through a lot with him, with the bombing and all. They all feel like one unit and are loud and proud, as the saying goes. ;)

I don't think Nole worries too much about what his parents are saying. I completely agree that someone needs to keep them in check, I just see his parents as the type of people who crave attention.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts