Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to see Wawrinka get into the Hall of Fame. However not knowing what he will achieve in the future obviously, will he as it stands now?

I look at Kafelnikov who really has a better career from most respects, even though both won 2 slams, and he still isnt in. Wawrinka does have the Masters title Kafelnikov lacks, but Kafelnikov has an Olympic Gold, many more tournament titles, 2 extra slam finals, all his doubles success. However I have a feeling they would rather Wawrinka get in than Kafelnikov since he is better looking, better personality, more popular, more exciting game, much bigger and more impressive wins to get his slams. So I think even now he would be more likely to get in than Kafelnikov, despite probably being less deserving (and Kafelnikov still might get in at some point).

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Chang and Roddick both got in and won only 1 major, while Kafelnikov who won 2 didnt. It is a bit confusing. However I think since it is largely a popularity contest, and Chang and Roddick were deemed to have done enough to get in since they are popular, Wawrinka with 2 slams will also already have been deemed to do enough to get in since he is popular. People like Kafelnikov and Martinez are not well liked, and they probably look for excuses to keep them out. I think they will list the amazing players he beat to win his slams to justify getting him in, along with tieing his Olympic Gold and Davis Cup win with the legend Federer, LOL!

My prediction is he gets in, regardless what he achieves from here.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The HoF is pretty irrelevant but not having a multi-slam champion in there is absolutely criminal really.
Maybe he and Kafelnikov will be inducted in the exact same year. They will choose a dead year without any legends up to do it. Dont they never induct more than 2 in the Player Category per year?

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Yes, he has (Stan has an Olympic Gold too... doubles counts), and I hope Yevgeny gets in the HoF, as he deserves it. You forgot that Kafelnikov is a former #1 (and last male player to win a Slam in both Singles and Doubles in the same year)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, he has (Stan has an Olympic Gold too... doubles counts), and I hope Yevgeny gets in the HoF, as he deserves it. You forgot that Kafelnikov is a former #1 (and last male player to win a Slam in both Singles and Doubles in the same year)
I guess that is my concern for Stan. Kafelnikov is a fellow 2 slam winner who has clearly achieved more (despite Wawrinka winning a Masters which Kafelnikov couldnt) and Kafelnikov didnt get in yet after so long.

I do think Wawrinka will get a 3rd slam and shut the door on any doubts (and he will clearly have a better career than Kafelnikov, Chang, or Roddick at that point), but if he doesnt...and depending what other things he achieves or doesnt.

Like I said though I think they are keeping Kafelnikov out for now, simply because they dont like him. Chang and Roddick getting in before him makes no sense really. Didnt Rafter even get in before him, LOL! Since Rafter got in, Wawrinka should have to as well, but Kafelnikov hasnt yet. However I think Wawrinka is just better liked than Kafelnikov, so the standards for him will be lower and they will look for excuses to put him in vs Kafelnikov and Conchita Martinez where they want excuses to not put them in. Then Noah getting in while Kafelnikov hasnt!?!? Hard to understand, but proof of bias and the popularity factor.

I do think Kafelnikov will get in eventually too btw. I think Wawrinka will get in much more quickly from retirement than Kafelnikov did/does though.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Who cares about these dumb Yank traditions :facepalm:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Chang and Roddick both got in and won only 1 major, while Kafelnikov who won 2 didnt. It is a bit confusing. However I think since it is largely a popularity contest, and Chang and Roddick were deemed to have done enough to get in since they are popular, Wawrinka with 2 slams will also already have been deemed to do enough to get in since he is popular. People like Kafelnikov and Martinez are not well liked, and they probably look for excuses to keep them out. I think they will list the amazing players he beat to win his slams to justify getting him in, along with tieing his Olympic Gold and Davis Cup win with the legend Federer, LOL!

My prediction is he gets in, regardless what he achieves from here.
Chang was a pioneer of sorts in that he was the first(and only) Asian American to win a grandslam title. Roddick was lucky to win just one slam and perhaps he was inducted as consolation for suffering so many defeats at Fed's hands.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Stan might be capable of more slams or even winning every slam once. Should he win the US Open, I think he could try to adapt his game to winning on grass solely for that purpose. He has a good mindset, but he is old. YET, verrry robust.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chang was a pioneer of sorts in that he was the first(and only) Asian American to win a grandslam title. Roddick was lucky to win just one slam and perhaps he was inducted as consolation for suffering so many defeats at Fed's hands.
I agree. Just like how I think they will try to remind people Wawrinka won his Olympic Gold and Davis Cup titles combined with the great Federer, in addition to his slew of huge wins to win his 2 slams (peak Djokovic x2, prime Nadal, crushing #2 ranked Federer). He just will seem like a sexier choice than Kafelnikov, Bruguera, or some other bubble ones who havent made it yet.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I would really like to see Wawrinka get into the Hall of Fame. However not knowing what he will achieve in the future obviously, will he as it stands now?

I look at Kafelnikov who really has a better career from most respects, even though both won 2 slams, and he still isnt in. Wawrinka does have the Masters title Kafelnikov lacks, but Kafelnikov has an Olympic Gold, many more tournament titles, 2 extra slam finals, all his doubles success. However I have a feeling they would rather Wawrinka get in than Kafelnikov since he is better looking, better personality, more popular, more exciting game, much bigger and more impressive wins to get his slams. So I think even now he would be more likely to get in than Kafelnikov, despite probably being less deserving (and Kafelnikov still might get in at some point).[/QUOTEDepends if the likes of Murray and Courier get in he should.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
Well, I don't know what the criteria is, really. So maybe he has.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The critiera varies by player. If they like you the critiera is less than if they dont. Whether Wawrinka has done enough already comes down to how much they like him more or less, considering he is in the gray area. They can easily justify putting him in or leaving him, as there are people who have done less (eg- Noah) already in and people who have done more (eg- Kafelnikov) still out, and others with a rougly equal career (eg- Roddick, Chang, Rafter) all in.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds like if he becomes a US citizen it will increase his chances. But yes he should be in. There's only been 7 GS winners in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
If Roddick and Murray are hall of famers and Safin is, then so is Wawrinka

1 - 20 of 23 Posts