·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the first 3 months of 2019, the race to London reads

1. Federer
2. Djokovic
3. Nadal

Does anybody else feel this is fast turning out to be the most boring era of tennis? When will the others step up, if ever? Nadal, in fact has only been part time this year so far, but still number 3 in the race. I have followed tennis since 1982 and have never known a time when players aged 32 and over were dominating the scene, and showing no signs of going away. Youngsters have always stepped up and taken over the mantle. What exactly is the explanation for this? Is it that these 3 players are so great that nobody else can find a way to get past them, despite their age, declining athleticism and slowed reflexes? Even in their peaks in the 2000s, they had to get past some very competitive matches, but as they have aged, they seem to breeze past through draws. Is it that the youngsters are so bad that they can't even compete with aged veterans? Personally I find it all a very sad state of affairs. I think this 'dominance' will certainly kill the sport. It is fast turning into a joke and a farce.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
I have to turn to WTA for some action. That is how bad the situation is.
I doubt anybody watched most of the matches in Miami. Especially the final.
It is either Novak collecting everything or Fed trolling the world of tennis. At least Nadal could have stayed somewhat healthy to spice up this old meal.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
other players should step up, its a testament to the greatness of the big three that they are still at the top of the game, and I for one love their overarching rivalries.

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
So after the first 3 months of 2019, the race to London reads

1. Federer
2. Djokovic
3. Nadal

Does anybody else feel this is fast turning out to be the most boring era of tennis? When will the others step up, if ever? Nadal, in fact has only been part time this year so far, but still number 3 in the race. I have followed tennis since 1982 and have never known a time when players aged 32 and over were dominating the scene, and showing no signs of going away. Youngsters have always stepped up and taken over the mantle. What exactly is the explanation for this? Is it that these 3 players are so great that nobody else can find a way to get past them, despite their age, declining athleticism and slowed reflexes? Even in their peaks in the 2000s, they had to get past some very competitive matches, but as they have aged, they seem to breeze past through draws. Is it that the youngsters are so bad that they can't even compete with aged veterans? Personally I find it all a very sad state of affairs. I think this 'dominance' will certainly kill the sport. It is fast turning into a joke and a farce.
I don't know what to tell you. You find it boring, others don't. The sport will certainly not be killed by the Big 3's ongoing presence.

As for whether the upcoming youngster are just bad or not for not being able to handle the triumvirate, let's face it: the quality of new blood doesn't quite seem to compare to the state 20 years ago (Federer, Hewitt, Safin, etc.) or 10 years (Nadal, Djokovic, etc.).

Now we can argue that the youngsters either got worse over the decades or we've been experiencing an anomaly with the convergence of three GOAT contenders that is highly unlikely to be repeated for a long time.

You decide what explanation fits.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Couldn't be bothered to watch the Miami final but I don't think it's boring. I'm glad they are still playing and if other players want to dethrone them they have to come up with something better..

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It's a weak/boring era since WIm16 actually. So nothing new. The Nalbandian/Davydenko/Roddick/Safin/Gonzalez/Blake were incredibly more professional and talented than the LostGen/NextGen of the world.

2017 US Nadal, 2018 AO Fed would have never won their slam in 2004/2009 period for example

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
other players should step up, its a testament to the greatness of the big three that they are still at the top of the game, and I for one love their overarching rivalries.
yeah true , obviously at the same time no one great enough to fill their shoes. The task must be the hardest especially to overcome the 3 of them . Anyone can lose , even the big 3 but you just know they are gonna continue to be there :scared: and if you're lucky enough to beat one , the other is ready to beat you...and...

The thing is match ups... each one of the big 3 pose ridiculous different games, ways and means for domination . So bringing your A game to each of them IS NOT ENOUGH. Because you're not gonna beat Nadal the same way to Djokovic (ask Nextgenners who cannot find a clue about beating a healthy Nadal) , another adaptation to Federer ( who just plays A DIFFERENT SPORT to everyone in the tour ) then adapt to THE WALL of Djokovic (and pray he is not peaking).

It's too damn hard and extremely complex = impossible if they are all healthy

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Is OP being serious? He realized this problem NOW?

No youngsters taking over has been a problem since like 2013. At least now we DO have some teenagers going far in big tournaments. For a long while there was hardly any youngsters in the top 100. OP must have been living under a rock.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Tsitsipas has already defeated Federer, Anderson and Djokovic
Shapovalov has defeated Nadal
Thiem has defeated Nadal and Federer

They need to do this consistently and the results will come. But yes, it's remarkable how these 3 continue to dominate the game.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If anything, I'd say we're on the cusp of a very exciting era. As the Big 3 increasingly have to rely on acumen and guile, so the youngsters will gain an edge on them in terms of athleticism and power. Over the past year, it has become in clear in match-ups between Rafa and the youngsters, and Novak and the youngsters, that the likes of Khachanov and Zverev and even Thiem have greater power and stamina and are simply in better physical condition. For the moment, the Big 3 still have a lock on the slams, but that hold will probably be broken later this year, never to be re-established to the same extent. Once that happens, we'll have the thrill of watching the Big 3 fight against the physical odds, something that happened with Fed long ago. How long will Rafa and Novak be able to stem the tide? And which of the youngsters will be the first to break through? In two years' time will we be watching FAA play Shapovalov in one slam final, and Tsitsipas play Tiafoe in another?

2019 and 2020 will be fascinating years for tennis as the Big 3 put the finishing touches to their legacy, while the young guns start establishing theirs. In the meantime, we can look forward to some epic inter-generational tussles.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I know what OP means but I find it fascinating to see how long the 3 Giants can hold on. Its looking more and more likely that they are the 3 GOAT and we have not seen an era like it before nor will again.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have to turn to WTA for some action. That is how bad the situation is.
I doubt anybody watched most of the matches in Miami. Especially the final.
It is either Novak collecting everything or Fed trolling the world of tennis. At least Nadal could have stayed somewhat healthy to spice up this old meal.
Did you know that Federer is the only multiple winner this year and all the other tournaments have been won by a different person?

That sounds unpredictable to me. The WTA has the advanatge of slightly more unpredictability because they don't have even one multiple winner, on the other hand, without established stars now that Williams is waning, I find it all a bit lightweight.

·
Registered
21,224 Posts
It's been boring for 10 years now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Compared to what I thought tennis would look like in 2019 yes. In 2014 if you told me that these 3 would still be far ahead of the entire field I would have laughed in your face, but 5 years later here we are.

2014 was such a good year and alot of people (myself included) thought it was a sign of things to come. You had the big 4 still doing what they do, their age mates (Tsonga, Berdych, Ferrer) still trying to break through, the youngsters with nothing to lose (Nishikori, Dimitrov, Raonic) beginning to create cracks in the big 4 monopoly and guys like Stan and Marin adding even more unpredictability to the tour.

Having the 3 most successful tennis players of all time still competing for GOAThood in the same time period is awesome (it's like having 80s MJ, 50s Elvis and 60s The Beatles releasing music at the same time) but I do sometimes wish the tour nowadays was as unpredictable and fun as it was back in 2014.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
One way to answer this question is to ask yourself: have I enjoyed the season so far and am I looking forward to the many tournaments to come? My answer is a definite "yes". I don't know if Nadal will do his usual thing on clay (but I expect so) or if Djokovic will continue to dominate the slams (I hope not) or if Federer will add to his titles (I hope so) or if there'll be some major surprises and clear signs of change (I hope and expect so). In other words, the rest of the season may be boring in some respects, but I'm hopeful that there will also be plenty of exciting matches and tournaments.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts