Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been instances where players were unaware they won sets and even matches to an extent. Has there ever been a time someone actually thought they won the match and a call was out, or it was the wrong point? Has anything that like that happen that you know of? Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
The video has been taken down but I remember Dokic hit an ace that would have given her the win during a match vs Razzano at the 2006 Australian Open and the umpire (wrongly) overruled and she went on to lose the match. That's the only one I can think of.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I know there have been instances where players were unaware they won sets and even matches to an extent. Has there ever been a time someone actually thought they won the match and a call was out, or it was the wrong point? Has anything that like that happen that you know of? Just wondering.
I know only of this one that's from the Wta side, Tanasugarn vs Hantuchova US Open 2003:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxDj-3bml0A

Celebration happens at 8:45 mark in video.

·
Banned
923 Posts
When Djokovic won Monte Carlo a couple weeks ago :haha:

·
Ace Loveforty
83,411 Posts
sanguinetti - pioline in Rome 1998

Sangunetti thought he hit an ace and i think he fell on the ground but was called out. The crow was shouting, maybe that´s why no one heard the call. Pioline like the scum he´s always been started making this gesture

cant find a vid unfortunately

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Coria vs Gaudio, that legendary FO final 2004.

Coria booked a hotel to Celebrate before the match. Talk about premature.

We all know how it panned out.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
One I remember vividly was Mary Pierce vs Gabriela Sabatini at the Australian Open Quarter Finals in 1993

Pearce won the first 6-4 and the match went into a tiebreaker.She blew a matchpoint or 2 before she hit a forehand winner to end the match ... or so she thought.. Umpire overuled... Had more matchpoints and blew them too.Lost the tiebreak 14-12 and completely fell apart 6-0 in the 3rd

At 13:21 is where she celebrated .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6GMk_lR3Q

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
2011 US Open SF

Crowd already began celebrating.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Kerber in last year Fed Cup but it was just end of 1st set.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
sanguinetti - pioline in Rome 1998

Sangunetti thought he hit an ace and i think he fell on the ground but was called out. The crow was shouting, maybe that´s why no one heard the call. Pioline like the scum he´s always been started making this gesture

cant find a vid unfortunately
Class act that Pioline guy.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
In WTA - Halep :D This is so funny. She holds serve for 5-3 lead and thinks the match is over!
In fact she even comes to the net!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Rusedski versus Krickstein Canadian Open 1993. Rusedski had a match point on Krickstein's serve. Krickstein hit a serve clearly out (at least 50 centimeters). Rusedski returned it into the court. Krickstein didn't play the return. Rusedski celebrated. The ball was called out (I can't remember if it was an overrule or if Rusedski simply didn't hear the linesperson). Krickstein went on to win the match. It was on an outer court; I doubt there is any video. It was really awkward because of how far Krickstein's serve was out. Rusedski was the only one who acted like it might have been in.

When asked about it, Krickstein said that he had won in a similar fashion before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts